Antigua Winds
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Default Re: "Rules" for who gets the FS item first?

Quote Originally Posted by bari_sax_diva View Post
    First, I'm not only not an anonymous guy, I'm not even a guy, and I don't see where "expert credibility" was solicited here--only our own personal practices.

Second, I'm sorry if you disagree, but we were asked for our opinions and that's mine. And if I'm shipping items worth thousands of dollars, I consider a member with an established history here to be far less of a risk than someone who logs on just to check out the Marketplace ads, and I will probably give priority to the established member. Buyers can choose who they deal with, and I think sellers should be allowed some of the same discretion.
    There's also the consideration that someone who posts will vouch for you later if need be -- and quite possibly even if you don't really need them to. Someone who's here to hit-and-run may be perfectly honest, but you'll never hear from them again.

It's also kind of nice to be able to find out what became of the gear you sold.
    SAX ENSEMBLES (quartet, trio, sextet, and more): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by bari_sax_diva View Post
    First, I'm not only not an anonymous guy, I'm not even a guy, and I don't see where "expert credibility" was solicited here--only our own personal practices.

Second, I'm sorry if you disagree, but we were asked for our opinions and that's mine. And if I'm shipping items worth thousands of dollars, I consider a member with an established history here to be far less of a risk than someone who logs on just to check out the Marketplace ads, and I will probably give priority to the established member. Buyers can choose who they deal with, and I think sellers should be allowed some of the same discretion.
    Where's the risk in shipping to any buyer, madam (sorry--I was referring to "Socrates" earlier, not you ), if you've already got their money--either sitting in your Paypal acct. or in your bank acct? I never ship anything before one of those two things has happened, and for their sake, I sincerely hope everyone else on here does the same. BTW I already addressed how to handle the one risk you mentioned earlier from the seller's standpoint--chargebacks. If you use Paypal, just make sure to get delivery confirmation for shipping and keep the green DC slip for at least 6 months, and the risk is mitigated.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by drwhippet View Post
    Where's the risk in shipping to any buyer, madam (sorry--I was referring to "Socrates" earlier, not you ), if you've already got their money--either sitting in your Paypal acct. or in your bank acct? I never ship anything before one of those two things has happened, and for their sake, I sincerely hope everyone else on here does the same. BTW I already addressed how to handle the one risk you mentioned earlier from the seller's standpoint--chargebacks. If you use Paypal, just make sure to get delivery confirmation for shipping and keep the green DC slip for at least 6 months, and the risk is mitigated.
    Chargebacks can also be handled by the credit card company, and they're not bound by Paypal's dispute policy. If you're not aware of this risk, I'd strongly suggest you read up on it here.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345