P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a darker Soprano sound

Distinguished SOTW Member Martinman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson
    Ah, but they WERE Italian a while back . . . three Rampones (tipped bell sop, sopranino, R1 alto).

Yes, I know I have a lot of horns, but there are others here who have a HUGE number of saxophones. DAVE

Yea, isn't there a guy who owns like, 80 altos?
    "Martin owners just change the freakin' bulb and get the job done." - MartinMusicMan

I have a Yani SC 902 that I use a Ponzol metal M1 mouthpiece with.I have tried a bunch of hard rubber pieces but none can compare to the big bottom of the Ponzol metal.I think the metal is a more spread tone as well.Anybody have any luck with rubber mouthpieces on the Yani SC 902?

Distinguished SOTW Member

Drumroll: Yes. That's all I play on my SC902 - Super Session J, Morgan Vintage 7, S-80 G and J, to name a few. Huge sound, warm tone, great intonation. We are all different in what mouthpieces work for us and on what horns. There are no rules. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Columnist king koeller's Avatar

Default Morgan Jazz 7J soprano piece...

My curved Conn Soprano(1926) is not dark at all, but very lively and total responsive. I'm using a Morgan Jazz 7J soprano mouthpiece with Vandoren 4's(blue box), This set up works for dixieland combo (ala... the Welk sax section) or playing big band lead alto and subbing soprano for the clarinet leads. (Miller, Woody, Old Octavo stocks, Spud Murphy). I've played concerts of standards and this piece is so well suited to the horn they are a marriage made in heaven. (I still have the old Conn Eagle stock piece that came with the horn, but the tip opening is like a .048".
    Forget it, I would need a 6 reed to make a chirp...
    I won't ruin it however and have it refaced. It totally needs to stay original, just for the sake of how rare these are getting to be nowadays.
    Last edited by king koeller; 11-20-2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Morgan Jazz 7J soprano piece...
    When you can't control the wind, adjust your sails!
    Alto:Selmer Mark VI #110***, Morgan Vintage 7M .080",Soprano Conn Curved, Morgan Jazz 7M
    Tenor:Selmer SBA #50***, Morgan Jazz 9M .110"
    Vandoren Java 3.5 for both horns...

Forum Contributor 2011 DanSax64's Avatar

Lorenzo: you might want to try different reeds on that Morgan piece. I don't have the same 7 opened as yours, yet on my vintage 5, I found that Hemke and SR reeds darken the sounds a whole lot, compared to my regular ZZ reeds.
    Just a thought...
    "Life without Music would be a mistake - Nietzsche"

Just turn out the lights.
    Horns are like wine: forget about brand names and price and just find one that you like.

Forum Contributor 2008 Giganova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Muan
    my sound on soprano seems too bright (and maybe a tad thin).
    Get a bari sax!

But seriously, these kind of threads pop up on a regular basis, but I never got it: Why do you play soprano if you want a dark(er) sound? Isn't that missing the entire point of playing soprano? Can't we just love sopranos for what they are: high-pitched instruments!?

It's like marrying a thin girl and then complaining that she is too thin!
    Tenor: Barone bare brass + Theo Wanne GAIA #7 mouthpiece
    Soprano: Barone tipped-bell + SopranoPlanet "Rue Lapis" mouthpiece

Beauty is just a light switch away.
    Horns are like wine: forget about brand names and price and just find one that you like.

Lorenzo, I don't know if you've tried the Tenney perfected HR Link 7* available from Saxquest.com? If not it's well worth a try. A beautifully easy mouthpiece to play with a sound that is most certainly on the darker side. It's very flexible and I use it exclusively for all of my work. I thoroughly recommend them.
    Alex

Forum Contributor 2008 Giganova's Avatar

I play a Link Tone Edge 7 which is a wonderful mouthpiece with a rather dark-ish sound.
    Tenor: Barone bare brass + Theo Wanne GAIA #7 mouthpiece
    Soprano: Barone tipped-bell + SopranoPlanet "Rue Lapis" mouthpiece

Try switching to clarinet... Does anybody really take soprano sax seriously anymore?

For a dark sound try a Berg HR.

Maybe a dark rovner lig would help.
    -Ben

Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2008 Hurling Frootmig's Avatar

I like the Caravan idea. I play on a vintage Buescher blank that was unfinished. Minimal baffle.
    "We'd all play like Stan (Getz) if we could" - John Coltrane

~~~~~~~~
    The Woodwind Forum

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

Anyone have any advice on how a ligature might have an effect on how bright or dark one's sound might be on a soprano sax?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

I use Rovner darks with both my sopranos (with different mouthpieces). With some mouthpieces (tenor, especially) I find these ligatures dampen the sound a bit, but for some reason on soprano, they seem liberating.

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar

Ligatures don't affect the brightness or darkness of your tone by themselves...they only change the response of the reed and thus they way you blow the horn...Steve Neff did a project on ligatures...it confirmed what I always thought...changing ligatures helps with playability of reeds and FEEL for the player...but the sound is only minimally changed from the listeners viewpoint...

Horns and necks and reeds on the other hand can blow darker or brighter...

2 cents..
    Out

PS--I like a dark sound on sop as well...it's like having a thin girlfriend with big t...... the total package....

later

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by calisax
    Try switching to clarinet... Does anybody really take soprano sax seriously anymore?
    Yes. Especially in classical circles. Why would you even say something like this? You know it will provoke a negative response.

Default Re: Looking for a darker Soprano sound

L.

If you can find one, you might try a vintage unmodified Buescher or Woodwind Co. or Otto Link slant signature. Then get a good mp tech to open it slightly. I opened the tip of a previously unmodified Buescher large chamber mouthpiece from the late 20s or early 30s and it is very warm and rich sounding. Also very easy to play throughout the register. My fallback mp is a Morgan Vintage or Meyer.
    David Boyles
    Currently playing Yamaha YSS-62R, Conn F Mezzo, Martin Skyline Handcraft Alto, Lyon & Healy C Melody, Buescher "Big B" tenor, Yani B901 Baritone

Default Re: Looking for a darker Soprano sound

Hi

First of all the finish on your soprano is of importance of tone. A silver laquered soprano sounds darker than a usual brass laquer.
    I changed the ligature on my soprano an it changed my tone completely. I bought a Francois Louis..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast