Sax on the Web Forum banner

Web Design

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ferret 
#1 ·
Not really sure where this belongs and search didn't turn up much, so it's going here for now I guess.

I think it's about time for me to get a clean, professional looking website. Now, I could do it myself if I brush up on my java and flash, but I really don't have the time or patience to do so.

So I've been looking around at some design firms. It seems to be more expensive than I thought and some seem totally unreasonable for what I want the website to do. (Just have a bio, a few sound clips, gigs listing, booking info, contact info really- Nothing complicated, and I'm not really a huge fan of flash either.) Anyone got advice about good design firms that maybe are used to working on musicians sites?

I really only need the initial design, as I know plenty to update info on my own.

#2 · (Edited)
Odsum,

AMong other things, i do web design as well as graphic design for print media and video production as well. You can check out my portfolio at NetShaman.com and my personal Youtube channel where i have slide shows of my high school band (circa along time ago). I don't do flash, but i could easily put up sound or video clips as well on your website. I also have quite a few videos that i have produced on my real estate site for Mexican real estate. See SinFronterasRealty.com. To just see the videos (but in lower resolution Flash video), see my YouTube channel for Mexican real estate.

I have not done a musician's site, but have done a site for a photographer (shown in my portfolio). If you are interested and want to talk, my phone number is on the contact page of my website.

#4 ·
Easiest way would be to use Wordpress,(most hosting companies offer an easy set up now) the heirarchy is all set up, and there are thousands of themes and free plug-ins to handle audio and video I like coolplayer myself.

and you can set it to open on a static page.

#5 ·
If you're a Mac guy, iWeb will do almost all want and it's very easy to use. Best thing as far as I'm concerned is the time it saves you getting things up and running. I tried taking to couple web designers and none really got close to what I wanted as a musician. Most of the layouts they showed looked like very stock designs with my content and photos plugged in. iWeb let me do what I wanted on my own.

#7 ·
Wordpress is a blog software, but it has many uses. I'm no expert, but you can set it up as a static page and then have other pages, or you can make posts as ina blog. the nice thing is its heirarchy which is Search engine friendly, and the cascading style sheets, so the pages/posts all have the same look and you don't have to do any formatting.

#9 ·
I'm also a web developer. My current project is http://www.josiahkiehl.com, which gets work when I have free time. (it's my personal site)

My day job includes http://www.spx.com, if you want to know what I actually get paid for doing.

You can email me @ josiah at josiahkiehl.com if you want more information... I don't charge for advice if that's all you want.

Photoshop is another example of a way you can make a site without knowing everything about web design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.