Sax on the Web Forum banner

Hal Leonard Realbook 6th edition

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jazzpianoonline 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased this book a few days ago and so far I'm very pleased with it... According to pretty much everyone, the Hal Leonard book is missing some of the greatest pieces that appeared in the illegal versions of the fakebook, but I don't know what they are and since I haven't played sax when the illegal versions were the only Realbooks out there, I can't tell you which ones they are, and I don't really mind their not being there. I like all the pieces in the book, so thats a thumbs up from me!

Now, a GREAT thing about these books is that they aren't illegal, and that they are LEGIBLE! I recently found some "excerpts" from the old (illegal) editions, and I could barely understand the notes written down... So there are two thumbs way up from me again!

400 jazz pieces, all licensed and legally printed is great, and for a little under $18 USD, its a bargain "like no other"!!

Now all I need to now is your opinion :D

#2 ·
I have the legal versions, too.

...but I'm not throwing the others away.;)

#4 ·
Got rid of my fifth edition long ago. The legibility was terrible, the chords were wrong and the odd measure to a line was maddening!

Sixth edition -- much better! In fact, I may just go out and get myself Book 3!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.