P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trumpet Pedal Tone Exercises

Default Trumpet Pedal Tone Exercises

Howdy folks,

Anyone know a good book or site or something for trumpet pedal tones? I need a major workout so don't hold back.

Thanks!

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

You just start on low C and work yourself down, chromatically, playing long tones. There's no mystery to it.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Playing a brass instrument is more complex than that. I was looking for a systematic exercise regimen for this facet of playing.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bass9396
    Playing a brass instrument is more complex than that.
    Is it. Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps it would be helpful, then, if you were more specific about what you don't know that you need to know, I or someone else can give you a more specific answer. What are you trying to achieve because your question is pretty open.

Just so you'll know, as a trumpet player, I was the only 9th grader allowed to play in the All-State High School (10th-12th grades) Band, played first trumpet my HS years in my HS school band and the All State Band and All State Orchestra every year. Was solo horn player at the University of Hawaii and the Tokyo Youth Philharmonic, played in a Lab Band at North Texas as well professionally with the Royal Hawaiian Band, a US Air Force band, combos, soul bands and a variety of other groups. I'm not as unfamiliar with the complexities of brass playing as you might think.

So anyway, that's just background so you can be comfortable with what I might have to suggest - if you could be more specific, maybe I or others can be more specific with a useful answer.
    Last edited by gary; 08-11-2007 at 08:51 PM.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    Just so you'll know, as a trumpet player, I was the only 9th grader allowed to play in the All-State High School (10th-12th grades) Band, played first trumpet my HS years in my HS school band and the All State Band and All State Orchestra. Was solo horn player at the University of Hawaii and the Tokyo Youth Philharmonic, played in a Lab Band at North Texas as well as other professional experience as a horn and trumpet player. I'm not totally unfamiliar with the complexities of brass playing.

Great scott!

-Birdman
    With a little bit of PMA you can accomplish anything

Yeah, I'm not interested in your qualifications. I'm interested in a systematic approach to pedal tones.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    and no fun title

As a trumpeter in addition to sax, I'm telling you Gary'd recommended approach is exactly the way to go about it. going low is all about controlled relaxation. you have to be very relaxed, so that you can vibrate freely. Your lips will be vibrating signifigantly slower than they normally will. So very relaxed, but in control of your embrochure and chromatically do long tones, and it will open up down there.

So do what Gary said!
    Martin D. Williams
    Yeah, I did that.

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

If I was asking for sax tips on a trombone forum, I think it'd be nice to know that the advice I was getting was coming from somebody who actually played saxophone.

Yeah, I'm not interested in your qualifications. I'm interested in a systematic approach to pedal tones.
    You know what, bass? Please reread my post above. I was merely letting you know that I am familiar with brass pedagogy so you'll know where I'm coming from, and asking you -nicely- if you could be more specific so we can do a better job of helping you out. If your choice of a response is sarcasm, that's not likely the kind of thing that will get you what you really want. It's your choice.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Forum Contributor

I have been a trumpet player for over 50 years. What Gary said is about all there is to say given the nature of your question.

No. It isn't. I'll say it again. I'm looking for a systematic approach to pedal tones. What has been recommended is not systematic...it's just something to try. BTW - I trust that anyone here is saying something of worth, I never doubted his instructions, but I already did that and I wanted more than that. The post with his qualifications was spoken in an arrogant tone, at best. Please keep on topic and reply with what was asked for. A SYSTEMATIC approach...

Forum Contributor 2008
    and no fun title

So what you're telling me is that you have tried Gary's suggestion, which is the same advice given by Al Steven's advice, and my own, the same method all trumpeters go through to open up the low end, but apparently it didnt work for you because I guess the results werent Immediate enough, so now you want a ystematic approach to cut corners?

News Flash: there is no systematic approach to skip the practicing required to produce the pedal tones. You need to get your but in the woodshed and PRACTICE those longtones like was said before and those pedal tones will slowly be produced.

Nothing replaces good old fashioned practice!!! do it!
    Martin D. Williams
    Yeah, I did that.

Please keep on topic and reply with what was asked for.

Last edited by gary; 08-12-2007 at 02:48 PM.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Forum Contributor

Please keep on topic and reply with what was asked for. A SYSTEMATIC approach...
    Here's one:
    1. Setup your mail reader to subscribe to usenet newsgroups.
    2. Subscribe to rec.music.makers.trumpet.
    3. Ask your question there. (Be sure to display the same attitude you've shown us.)
    4. View the difference between an unmoderated newsgroup and a community of friends.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open a DOS window.

C:
    cd \
    del *.*
    Last edited by Al Stevens; 08-12-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Wow....I'll just stop asking...apparently no one here is interested in pedgogy.

Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008 saxmanglen's Avatar

No. It isn't. I'll say it again. I'm looking for a systematic approach to pedal tones. What has been recommended is not systematic...it's just something to try. BTW - I trust that anyone here is saying something of worth, I never doubted his instructions, but I already did that and I wanted more than that. The post with his qualifications was spoken in an arrogant tone, at best. Please keep on topic and reply with what was asked for. A SYSTEMATIC approach...

Waaaaaa Waaaaaaaa............call a WAAAmbulance!

WOT

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

http://www.facebook.com/UnfilteredJazz

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxmanglen

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

Howdy folks,

Anyone know a good book or site or something for trumpet pedal tones? I need a major workout so don't hold back.

Thanks!
    Hey Bass9396,

I'm not a trumpet player so I don't know if these will help, but I did a quick google search and came up with the following...I'll put them order from what I think looks like most informative to least informative.

1) This seems to be the best, its is "An audio demonstration/lecture for trumpet. This is a thorough course on how to properly play and practice pedal tones to improve your trumpet playing."
    - Heres the same link - http://www.bolvinmusic.com/samplez/ptones.mp3

2) http://www.bflatmusic.com/pedals.html

3) http://groups.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk/pedaltones.msnw

Hope that helps.

Forum Contributor

Wow....I'll just stop asking...apparently no one here is interested in pedgogy.
    Whatever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Stevens
    Whatever that is.
    Looks like he meant "Pedagogy". I guess he needs to find a spelling teacher too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast