Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dogs and saxophones

My wife and I have two boxers...one male, one female. When I play my saxophone (or clarinet or flute for that matter), my male will sit next to me and chill out...my female howls and barks. If I play long high notes on the tenor or alto...she'll howl as long as she can. I think she's trying to sing along. I would think that if she's scared of it then she'd run away and if she were bothered by it (accoustically) that it would affect my male, but since he just chills there I'm thinking that she just wants to be a part of whats going on.

Does anyone else have any musical pets? Does anyone have any insight on why some animals respond to musical instruments and some don't?

I have a cat that will hang in front of or near the speaker when jazz or classical music is playing but will leave usually room if I turn on any rock, alternative, folk or pop music... maybe it is just a coincidence that she leaves but it is still kind of funny...

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

I have a student that has a brown lab that just howls when I give a lesson. The owner said it was because she was bothered by the sax but I didn't get that impression. It was almost like she wanted to make music with us.

Same here...I noticed when I practice a lot of high notes in the living room my dog hears me from outside and howls forever and then when he sees me he just gets his tennis ball and runs up to the door and stares at me trying to get me to play with them...don't think they don't like it lol

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

I had a cat that adored the harmonica. Sax, clt, flute - couldn't care less but when I started on that blues harp she'd make a journey from one end of the house to the other and start singing along..
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

Default Taco the bass sax playing Chihuahua

Taco plays bass sax and listens to the playback.

More pics of Taco on my MYSPACE MUSIC page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis
    Last edited by saxtek; 08-26-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by saxtek
    Taco plays bass sax and listens to the playback.

More pics of Taco on my MYSPACE MUSIC page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis
    He could make himself a really cosy little home inside that thing. As long as you didn't forget he was there when you started playing. Might be a bit of a shock for him..
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti
    I have a student that has a brown lab that just howls when I give a lesson. The owner said it was because she was bothered by the sax but I didn't get that impression. It was almost like she wanted to make music with us.
    That sounds right to me. My dog really acts like he is singing when I practice. It is the only time that he howls and one of the few times he will bark. His musical ideas are pretty original if a little bizarre.
    “If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”
    William Carlos Williams

Forum Contributor 2011

My bearded collie just looks bored, and eventually shambles off to another room.
    It's an ill wind that blows nobody down a long lane which has no silver lining.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 HUTMO's Avatar

Default Cleo the Bull Terrier and the Sax

My Bull Terrier (Cleo) takes cover beneath the blankets I place on the couch since she insist that it is the only place suitable for The Queen!

She goes totally underneath and then turns around and pokes her nose and eyes out.

HUTMO

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 ianhart's Avatar

What a beautiful dog!

My dog doesnt mind but as soon as I drop my jaw he howls like crazy
    For every one Jazz saxophonist, there are 100 undiscovered

I have 3 dogs. The only one that howls is a terrier mix. He just stays by my side and lets rip the other two look entirely bored

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCity
    How about this one:
    Bird Sings the Blues
    This bird does a more interesting blues solo than a lot of people I have heard.

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jbtsax
    This bird does a more interesting blues solo than a lot of people I have heard.
    Very cool. Do you think the bird could give my dog some lessons?
    “If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”
    William Carlos Williams

Forum Contributor 2006

I have two female Chihuahuas-they both "sing" while I play alto-sop-or clarinet. Notes above a concert G (top of staff) seem to issue the call to "sing" They seem to enjoy this! This is the only time they actually howl-I really think they are trying to sing along!
    JimMetcalf

3 mastiffs, 2 labs and 2 chihuahuas - one starts howling and pretty soon they all go at it - I can't play with them around because I'm laughing so much.

I read a dog book and it said that when dogs hear horns blowing they associate it with the rest of "the pack". So when you play your sax they howl back in response. In the wild, when dogs and wolfs are in trouble or missing from the pack, they howl and wait for a response. Your dog is probably just responding...my dog does it too. My parents just say that it's 'cause I suck (jokingly of course). Hope that helps, I thought it was kinda interesting.

Forum Contributor 2008 Giganova's Avatar

When I am house-sitting at my sister in law, her dog (a white German shepard) RUNS away as soon as she sees my saxophone case! She knows exactly what it is inside the case and she hates it.
    Tenor: Barone bare brass + Theo Wanne GAIA #7 mouthpiece
    Soprano: Barone tipped-bell + SopranoPlanet "Rue Lapis" mouthpiece

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast