Sax on the Web Forum banner

re: Nancy Wilson from NY Times

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  littlemanbighorn 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I bought that album in the early 60s and still have it. I have only one complaint. It's instrumental track of "I Can't Get Started" got all the players ever since thinking you always have to use those cliched substituted descending ii-V changes in measures 3 and 4. As a consequence we virtually lost Vernon Duke's lovely original changes. Nobody wants to play them. Younger players don't even know them.

#6 ·
Tim Price said:
THAT SHOULD BE IN EVERYONES COLLECTION....AND A STUDY IN ALTO BACKING A VOICE.
AND THAT PHOTO SHOULD BE ON EVERYONE'S WALL....A STUDY IN THE BEAUTY OF THE HUMAN FORM!

(oh yeah, and cannonball plays great, etc., etc....)

And speaking of that photo: does anyone else think that photo may have involved a little "work" on Cannonball? Of course, this was decades before all the Photoshop madness, but I don't think I've ever seen another pic of CB looking that slim...

#7 ·
DukeCity said:
And speaking of that photo: does anyone else think that photo may have involved a little "work" on Cannonball? Of course, this was decades before all the Photoshop madness, but I don't think I've ever seen another pic of CB looking that slim...
I always figured they cut and pasted his head onto someone else's body holding his horn.

#8 ·
Swampcabbage said:
I always figured they cut and pasted his head onto someone else's body holding his horn.
Ha! That never occurred to me. But looking at it again, it seems quite possible. The lighting on CB's head seems a little different from the rest of the photo.

Hmmm....maybe it was done by the same guy who pasted Lee Harvey Oswald's head onto the photo of the guy with the rifle....

#10 ·
DukeCity said:
It's pre-photoshop but it's pretty easy to alter the outline of a black-suited figure's outline against a white backdrop with an Xacto knife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.