P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left handed trombone player

Default Left handed trombone player

I just picked up trombone not to long ago in an attempt to teach myself. It's actually been going great.

However, I'm a lefty, so pretty much everything I do is based around the left hand. At a lesson from a friend, he pointed out that I use my left hand for the slide as opposed to my right hand on the slide.

My question is, would that pose any kind of problem? I didn't think it would, and neither did my friend, but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks!!!

Should not be a problem, just attach the slide to the left instead of the right and you should be ready to go..........as long as you don't have a trombone with a F attachement (and wanting to use it), putting the slide on to the left brings the F-trigger on the outside of the horn above the back of your hand instead of the inside and near your thumb.
    Have fun learning.
    Degustebus non est disputandum
    Big Band Boesten

It has never been a problem for Slide Hampton.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Clinton, if you need me to help you build a left hander's bone....well we can try.

HURRY UP AND COME OVER SO WE CAN GO PAWN SHOPPING.
    Play out, or never be heard.
    What is your calling?

Alright, I didn't think it would be a problem, but I just wanted to get some second opinions.

Thanks for the replies

Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke. Bootman's Avatar

Many of us Lefties play the Trombone but on the right hand. It is simply a matter of growing accustomed to using the right hand instead. I can think of at least 6 now without even trying who are lefties who play it right handed.

One of the reasons given to me for playing it this way was uniformity of positions of the music stands in bands, not hitting the slide into the other members of the section and just the general look of the section when on parade or on stage.

It isn't dificult to learn to do it right handed, it is like playing guitar right handed, your left does most of the work on the finger board of a guitar so it actually makes it easier. It is an advantage to be Left handed and play a right handed guitar.

Try doing it right handed and perservere. You will be able to do it.

I'll try that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by clinty
    Alright, I didn't think it would be a problem, but I just wanted to get some second opinions.

Thanks for the replies
    Just for a bit of levity. There's a tiny girl in the junior band at the local primary school who wears a lanyard (with two knots in it) on her wrist. The other end's attached to the trombone; she calls it position 6, 7 and oops.

Don't yah just love kids learning trombone.

True story. Repaired my old seriously damaged slide the other week - perfect solder job - except ......... I soldered the new section in upside down. Now I have to turn it upside down or bend over and stick the bloody thing between my legs to get the spit valve on the correct side.

Trombone - Manually operated wind driven pitch approximator.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarner
    Just for a bit of levity. There's a tiny girl in the junior band at the local primary school who wears a lanyard (with two knots in it) on her wrist. The other end's attached to the trombone; she calls it position 6, 7 and oops.

Don't yah just love kids learning trombone.

True story. Repaired my old seriously damaged slide the other week - perfect solder job - except ......... I soldered the new section in upside down. Now I have to turn it upside down or bend over and stick the bloody thing between my legs to get the spit valve on the correct side.

The "6, 7, and oops" got me for like 5 minutes. I was trying so hard to work on my schoolwork, but just couldn't, lol. I was cracking up so badly. :-D

Keep us informed as to how you go onthe slide stuff. You will get there!

Alright.

I tried it with the right hand on slide, and it just seemed so uncomfortable. I'm incredibly uncoordinated with that hand. I can't even eat with it hardly. I'll keep trying though.

It takes training(practice) to become ambidextrous.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Clinty, Keep at it. You have already overcome right handedness and now it is a matter of learning how to do it. Practise doing it and you will find that you can do it in a very short time.

He sure does bitch about it a lot in real life ;].

(jk clinton don't hurt me.)
    Play out, or never be heard.
    What is your calling?

Quote Originally Posted by blindside398
    He sure does bitch about it a lot in real life ;].

(jk clinton don't hurt me.)

Oh, I will, Jimmy. I will...

I am a lefty and I did not have any trouble playing it normally, however after a while playing the "right" way I could not play it using my left hand to move the slide.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    and no fun title

Quote Originally Posted by jwarner
    Slide Whistle with Delusions of Grandeur

I made a special short slide for my trombone. Lots of fun!!

Martin D. Williams
    Yeah, I did that.

Default Re: Left handed trombone player

while i am a righty, I have never found it difficult in the least to play french horn...which is the only left handed brass.
    I always find it amusing when I let other non-horn players try to play...they can't figure out how to hold it!!!
    One trumpeteer decided it was too hard because it was left handed...although i think the real reason was that he had a hard time centering on the right partial.
    I consider the right-handed instruments no different than the horn...doesnt even phase me,
    i guess thats where learning piano came in handy.

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwarner View Post
    Pretty much. I saw John Fedchock give a clinic and concert in February. At one point he played the first 5 notes of a major scale up and down and the slide never stopped moving except to change direction. He did it again without articulating the notes it was a simple gliss. He was illustrating the importance of hand-tounge coordination.

How many lefties use left handed keyboards at their computers?

Of course, playing the trombone is awkward - you don't yet know the instrument. If you are starting from zero, there is no reason that you couldn't learn it either way - so why twist convention?

Now where is my left handed canoe paddle???
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast