Sax on the Web Forum banner

Manhattan: Doctoral Jazz Arts Advancement program

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ramZsax 
#1 ·
Manhattan school of music offers a DMA in the Advancement of Jazz Arts. It sounds like an exciting and terrifying program:

http://www.msmnyc.edu/jazz/jazzdma/

What is your take on this? I feel like it would be a worthwhile thing to do with one's education and is a huge step forward in jazz education. A part of me has always wanted to see a degree offered that actually bridges into a few different arenas, rather than the typical jazz performance, classical performance, general teaching, or general composition degrees we tend to see all pared up nice and neat.

Another part of me looks at something like this and wonders if it's even worth trying to gain admission. I feel like I don't know anyone who could even come close to qualifying for that who isn't already out there making a living as a performer and a teacher on a national level...

Thoughts?

#2 ·
All i have to say is that Manhattan School of Music is amazing. I auditioned at MSM this year for undergrad jazz saxophone I passed the prescreen, but knew I didn't have a chance of being accepted into the school, Mintzers nephew plays tenor there actually... but yeah, anything that goes on at that school is going to be incredible.

and oh yeah, i was auditioned by Steve Wilson :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.