Antigua Winds

Thread: Evette Schaeffer alto

Default Evette Schaeffer alto

I have an alto with the following engraved on the bell:
    EVETTE
    SCHAEFFER
    PARIS
    FRANCE

There are also some fancy leaf/feather-like engravings above and next to these words. The serial number is: 31xx (I'n not sure if you need all the numbers...) I would like to get an idea of when this instrument was made. I have tried looking into saxpics, etc, but haven't had any luck. Let me know if you need any more info, if it would help figured out the date. Thanks in advance for all help.

Connical

Distinguished SOTW Technician hornimprovement's Avatar

Default Evette Schaffer

If you want a matching tenor, I have one available for $150. It needs an overhaul. Sold "as is".
    www.hornimprovement.com
    Quality Instruments & and Repairs

Thanks for your help. I am currently playing on this sax, but I know that it needs a good cleaning and some work and probably new pads. How much does it usually cost to do this for a vintage?

I've had a few saxes put in "playing condition" for anything from $70 to about $150. The $150 was for regulation and the upper stack pads replaced on an old sax.

The best thing to do is take the sax to an instrument repairman and get an estimate, which is free. Then you can discuss the price and what kind of work your sax needs to get it in playing condition.

Good luck on getting that sax working fine. I have an E-S Model Buffet Crampon that I like better than an old Martin and Conn Chu I used to own.

Default Evette-Schaeffer

You mentioned this horn. There is an alto on ebay made in 1943 that is in good condition.
    Can you tell me anything about it. Student/Pro/quality etc.
    I have no idea, so I would most appreciate a reply.
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mrd
    You mentioned this horn. There is an alto on ebay made in 1943 that is in good condition.
    Can you tell me anything about it. Student/Pro/quality etc.
    I have no idea, so I would most appreciate a reply.
    Thanks guys.
    Yeah, I saw that one on eBay... It has the sheetmetal keyguards on it, and according to the information on saxpics, those appeared around 1945 or so (these are estimates). If the year is correct, then it would be in the "SA" model range. Most of the saxpics pictures show "Buffet & Crampon" in the engraving and am curious why the seller didn't mention either of those names. The saxpics ones also don't mention Evette & Shaeffer either.

It's pretty hard to tell from the pics on the eBay listing, as they are some of the WORST pics I've ever seen...

Keep in mind, I am not an expert by any means on these, just relating what I found on the saxpics site.

Added: BTW, the seller says that the serial number is 34xxx...
    Last edited by ravenjazz; 04-03-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Default Re: Evette Schaeffer alto

Hi guys.
    I found this Sax Alto Evette & Scheaffer Paris serial 11409.
    What can you tell me abou this? is it a good one enough for a beginner? or maybe buy it as a vintage souvenir? how much it'll be a fair price?
    if you need some pics let me know please.

Thanks and take care!!!!
    Pedro