P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Share your busking experiences

Default Re: Share your busking experiences

Cool story. I hope to busk someday. I just started practicing outside after 1 year of playing inside.

I`ve never busked(?) new to the term anywasy. But I do have a funny story where playing a musical instrument got me money in a hat.

I play in a sort of marching band for about 8 years now, and we play only around "carnaval" in the netherlands which begins 11-11 and ends about march..

My first year as a member 15 years old, only playing the sax on a fairly decent level for 2 years or so. But when the 3 days before the christian fastening begins, whe have fastening evening which is actually 3 days of partying music and parades and everybody dresses up in costumes etc..

well those 3 days are in reality5 days, playing wise that is. but I'm wondering off.

As said it was my first year as a member and first carnaval where I was allowed to drink beer I played about the same tunes with the marching band for 5 days and from the 40 we play there are around 5 we play 3 times a day.. so I could play them by ear.. On the last evening we all head up to a small cafe, and just party, drink and have fun. On one moment I saw a trombone lying on a table and picked it up and started to play those tunes I played for 5 days standing on a table with a trombone (a bit inhebriated..) and someone saw my hat lying on the table and it went round the bar and It got me about 16 euro`s not much but it was fun..

the evening ended a bit less fortunate because someone dropped my alto buffet s1 but It got me a SA80II so that wasnt that bad either..

but I`m actually thinking of trying real "busking" for once, it seems like a lot of fun, and I have got steel nerves performing wise so that`s no problem..

One of my Student houses was near the Royal College of Music. The tube station always had a student or two playing really well. As much a case of practicing without annoying your flatmates as money making.
    I've busked a couple of times years ago on the clarinet for pretty much the same reason. Practicing the basics at proper volume (i.e. not quiety or with a mute) without worrying about the neighbours. Once I get good enough on the sax I might pop out and give it a go.

I'd like to get into it just playing memorized real book tunes and then just soloing for as long as I care to on them and then stopping. Great practice experience plus you can just make up songs in easy keys as you go along.

There's this one dude who makes a living playing Tenor under a bridge as you walk to Broncos games and then he chooses locations by Rockies games sometimes as well. Well, as I said he makes a living and just takes the money after a buttload had been thrown in his case and stuffs it in his pocket, and then he just leaves a bit in there and lets her fill up again. That would be a pretty good job, plus nobody messes with him because he only plays in extremely high populated areas with tons of hopped up sports fans walking by, and I'm sure some crazy broncos fan would beat the crap out of any gangbanger trying to steal his money (or worse, his sax!).

Distinguished SOTW Member

My wife and I are going to Paris this coming Wednesday and I'll hook up with a cornet-playing friend who runs a band on the streets. One of his guys will bring a soprano for me and I'll have mouthpieces. If the weather is okay (read that it is cold and rainy), I'll do a day on the streets with these guys. They are wonderful trad-jazz players. Should be fun. DAVE
    Dave

Wheeled my gear up to my 'regular' spot outside Woollies yesterday and 2 gentlemen in neat attire were standing there chatting. I proceeded to start setting up my act, when one of them said his goodbye to the other and walked off.
    The man remaining then turned to me and said 'Hi , how's it going? I like your music and didn't see you here last week'
    'I'm the store manager by the way'.
    My tunes seemed to come out a lot better than usual.
    cheers, Mark.
    a.k.a. Mark Casey
    YouTube|SoundClick

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Weltklang View Post
    Wheeled my gear up to my 'regular' spot outside Woollies yesterday and 2 gentlemen in neat attire were standing there chatting. I proceeded to start setting up my act, when one of them said his goodbye to the other and walked off.
    The man remaining then turned to me and said 'Hi , how's it going? I like your music and didn't see you here last week'
    'I'm the store manager by the way'.
    My tunes seemed to come out a lot better than usual.
    cheers, Mark.
    congratulations!!

Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul Face Ache Mike's Avatar

Mark, thats great! We never know who`s listening do we? Will you be going back?

Hey thanks chaps! Yes it's probably the closest spot to my home and I usually go there once a week (don't want to wear it out ).
    I've never gotten any negative comments (plenty of positive ones and usually worthwhile tips) but when you actually get a thumb's up from the senior management well...
    cheers, Mark.
    Edit: Come to think of it there's a picture of me at this very spot on my (in progress) web site.
    http://kingcasey.com.au/performances.html
    a.k.a. Mark Casey
    YouTube|SoundClick

I travel a lot, and I love to play outdoors, whether in a park or on a street corner. I call it fake busking, because I'm usually doing it for keeping in shape, preparing for a gig, or just shedding, whenever I'm somewhere and the weather's nice enough.
    This past September I was playing in a park in Dusseldorf, and a couple on a bench started to get romantic to my playing. So, I responded with some bump & grind playing. They responded in kind, and while managing to remain fully clothed they still earned a solid PG-13 rating. It must have been a Wednesday.
    More recently, I was playing on a street corner in Portland, Maine and received $10.83, an apple, a brownie, and directions to the local soup kitchen.

Lol!! I play on the streets for a living and have built a steady clientele over the years here in Chicago, IL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Contributor 2012 Joe Giardullo's Avatar

I had my horn "arrested" in Amsterdam in 1978, as I was playing in front of the American Hotel, near the Leidseplein. I got it back rather easily but it wasn't fun (I mean, having my horn arrested).

I'm thinking it was in Poznan, Poland that there was a very organized "buskers" volunteer agency that helped players get good spots all over Europe. I was hanging there for a ride to the train and watched all sorts of performers coming through. It was rather impressive. Maybe 2003 or 2004.
    Info@Sopranoplanet.com
    world class mouthpieces for soprano saxophone
    New: ALMA for alto sax !

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by saxtherapist View Post
    Lol!! I play on the streets for a living and have built a steady clientele over the years here in Chicago, IL
    Playing on the streets of Chicago in February must be a chilling experience.

Do you use a metal mouthpiece? Do your tongue and lips get stuck to it?
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2013 The Martin Alto's Avatar

Got almost arrested for busking without a license!

If anybody 'arrested' my horn I would be charging them with theft.
    cheers, Mark.
    a.k.a. Mark Casey
    YouTube|SoundClick

I busk on a very regular basis. I really love the feeling I get when someone drops some coin in your case. I've had some lovely experiences including being invited onto my local radio station for an interview and to play some tunes live (they sounded awful as there was no sound engineer, it being a weekend)
    My first memorable experience was when an elderly lady dropped a large handful of cash whilst I was playing a tune, she then leant forwards and said "Thank you for playing that song, you've reminded me of a time when my late husband and I used to go dancing!" I silently wept behind my shades!
    A couple of days ago I received this.....

And on the same day someone filmed me too

Earlham II Alto, Amati Tenor, P. Mauriat 302g Bari
    The Band I Play With
    My Website

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678