P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Selmer Mark VI vs Mark VII.

Forum Contributor 2007

Default Selmer Mark VI vs Mark VII.

What are the differences between the Mark VI and the Mark VII. In listening to another player play both, I cannot tell the difference.
    Thanks, Randy

The keywork on the Mark VII is different from the Mark VI, many people find it to be uncomfortable and not as easy to move around.

There were also a large number of quality control issues with the MVII line, generally they arnt a popular horn. If you can find one that fits you and you like the sound of, rock on, but most people tend to avoid the VIIs as they arnt as good as their predecessor
    "You can play a shoestring if you're sincere" -John Coltrane

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Yes, they can be very good horns. It especially helps if your hands are large. Atypical of fantastic Selmer key work as well....great sound for the buck though. Selmer also had quality control issues with the VI as well...especially later ones...its not like it all fell apart on the VII. My thinking is that it flopped becuse it followed the VI and didnt live up to expectations and that the opposed to keywork that basically "played itself" it felt odd to many.

Are you looking to buy one or are you just trying to figure out their physical differences?

I've actually played MarkVII's that I prefered better than my VI, tone wise. But at this time, I only played classical and I liked the darker sound, and the low end wasn't "boomy" as they are rumored either.
    Selmer Mark VI Alto 168xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Tinorman
    What are the differences between the Mark VI and the Mark VII. In listening to another player play both, I cannot tell the difference.
    Thanks, Randy
    They're also heavier than a VI.

Forum Contributor 2007

i just sold one. i played it for something like 8 years. 'always found it physically more demanding than a vi, but soudwise worth it. i wouldn't say it was a worse horn; just different. if you're up-an-coming it can definitely take you to the next level.

I play both the Vl and the Vll and find very little difference...g# key cluster is basically the only difference but easy to adapt to...Happysax

Forum Contributor

Why do we always have to ask? Tenor, alto, bari, soprano?

How do the rest of you automatically know which horn is being discussed? Is there some kind of ESP (Extrasensory Selmer Perception) that I don't know about?

Forum Contributor 2008

Al,It has to be a tenor or alto being compared as there was no VII baritone or soprano. The soprano and baritone remained VIs til the super action 80 line came out!!

Forum Contributor

Yeah, I forgot. Okay, tenor or alto? What are we talking about here?