P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Harmonizer pedals

Default Harmonizer pedals

I was thinking of investing in a vocal harmonizing pedal for live performances. I was using a guitar pedal but it doesnt work so well with the sax. I was wondering if anyone knew any effects pedals that work well....
    I came across the "Akai HV1 Duo Buddy Vocal Harmony Processor" which seems like it would do justice.

thanks

I was thinking of investing in a vocal harmonizing pedal for live performances.
    The TC Helicon VoiceLive is excellent but expensive. You can read my review (Music Tech Magazine) of it here:

http://www.saxmusicplus.com/articles...technology.htm

or download it here:

http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/se...celive&x=0&y=0

It works fine on sax. I tried it. The guy in the Average White Band also uses it for all his harmony lines.
    I was using a guitar pedal but it doesnt work so well with the sax. I was wondering if anyone knew any effects pedals that work well....
    I came across the "Akai HV1 Duo Buddy Vocal Harmony Processor" which seems like it would do justice.
    I'm not familar with Akai. I use a Boss ME-50, which as well as providing intelligent harmony (one extra voice) will also provide just about any effect you might need. Before you buy the Akai, check that it provides 'intelligent' harmony, as opposed to just parallel 3rds, 4ths and 5ths.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kwg333
    The TC Helicon VoiceLive is excellent but expensive. You can read my review (Music Tech Magazine) of it here:

It works fine on sax. I tried it. The guy in the Average White Band also uses it for all his harmony lines.

AWB is using only one horn these days? The skinflints.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Matt at Patchmanmusic mentioned this link a while ago, which features a couple new Digitech pedals that looks really promising.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=4154

For now I use a Digitech IPS33b which, to my knowledge, is what Freddy V of AWB used for years prior to changing over to the Helicon. In fact I didn't even realize he changed his setup until kwg mentioned it. They even updated his page on the website! lol

The ips33b is a decent harmonizer but it needs to be programmed pretty extensively for a live show, and it's certainly not a pedal which is a major drawback onstage. Can't wait to get my hands on the new one.

Take care.

Default micing for harmony

The Helicon is really the piece to get. The issue can be the mic. If you have heard a harmonizer trying to make a chord ff the kick drum and bass, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    I had the early Digitech and actuall did demonstration work for the company that sold them the technology out of Canada. I got pretty crazy with this stuff - trying to keep it clean. I tried contact mics, flute headjoint mic and different standard mics that had a smaller pattern.

It's just a thought, but these things work different on stage than they do in your room. Can be really frustrating.