P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Dirk Nowitzki and Vince Carter .. future Jazz artists?

Default Dirk Nowitzki and Vince Carter .. future Jazz artists?

NBA stars Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks and Vince Carter of the New Jersey Nets both play the Saxophone..

Vince Carter plays the saxophone and was a drum major in his high school band. He also received a music scholarship offer to Bethune-Cookman.

Holger Geschwindner, 58, who is the mentor of Dirk Nowitzki, gave Nowitzki a saxophone as a gift.

Do you think that after the NBA, they might try to do what Wayman Tisdale has done and become musicians? With Nowitzki's work ethic, I think he could become a great sax player, no matter what style he chooses to play. Vince Carter will probably become great too but might not always give his 100%, only when he feels like it and might not always give it his all with a record label and ask to be released of his contract.

The bass player that is now playing in the Brubeck Fellowship turned down a full ride basketball scholarship to be in the fellowship. The scholarship was to a very good well known basketball school i believe...i dont remember the name though.

that must be a pretty good band!

Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member Swampcabbage's Avatar

I heard somewhere that Tim Berne took up the sax while rehabing from a knee injury on a basketball scholarship in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by ramZsax
    The bass player that is now playing in the Brubeck Fellowship turned down a full ride basketball scholarship to be in the fellowship. The scholarship was to a very good well known basketball school i believe...i dont remember the name though.
    damn. I did not know that.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy E
    ...Vince Carter will probably become great too but might not always give his 100%, only when he feels like it and might not always give it his all with a record label and ask to be released of his contract.
    If basketball is an 'art' as is sometimes said, then sometimes it just doesn't happen. There are times I put the horn in my mouth intending on doing my best and about the worst things come out.

For the record, I don't think basketball is an art and its practitioners have more conscious control over how they perform...

Also, Jazzy E, I know you were just taking shots at Vince -- being humorous.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Quote Originally Posted by hgiles
    If basketball is an 'art' as is sometimes said, then sometimes it just doesn't happen. There are times I put the horn in my mouth intending on doing my best and about the worst things come out.

For the record, I don't think basketball is an art and its practitioners have more conscious control over how they perform...

Also, Jazzy E, I know you were just taking shots at Vince -- being humorous.
    I was referring to Vince Carter when he played with the Toronto Raptors, and he was a really great player but he only played good when ever he felt like it because his team wasn't winning, and he admitted that he never gave it his all there in Toronto. He's diffrent now with the New Jersey Nets, and he's one of my favorite players.

Another fun fact: Tedy Bruschi, linebacker for the New England Patriots is an alto sax player.

Default Might not be a bad thing.

If they give the same fire to the horn they do on the court, I myself wouldn't mind hearing it.

Distinguished SOTW Member G-dawg's Avatar

Isn't Waymon Tisdale cutting "smooth jazz" CD's? I think he plays bass???

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

I kid you not, Brett Lee, an Aussie Cricket player, (you Yanks can just imagine the fastest pitcher, in the world's top baseball team), has a No 1 hit in India with the following;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqgU1...elated&search=

To quote Pauline Hanson..."Please explain?"

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Offensive lineman for the NY Jets) was actually criticized by draft scouts because they though he devoted too much time to the sax and not to improving his playing further.