P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Jupiter 889SG - Just bought it

Default Jupiter 889SG - Just bought it

After many nights of searching and some deals that fell through (Sorry SAXMAN) I finally bought a tenor sax. I am very interested and excited to hear how it plays.

40 nights of researching instruments - $$$$$
    Almost buying a Selmer III Tenor - 3200 (almost)
    Almost buying a SA80 II Black Tenor - 2400 (almost)
    Bidding with frustration on a Jupiter sax then realizing that I really shouldnt have done that... Hopefully somewhat priceless.

Oh I paid 900 for it.

I will let y'all know how it plays.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Best of luck.

Keep us posted.

rabbit

Default Fantastic Horn!!! YOU SHOULD LOVE IT!!! GOOD CHOICE!!

I also have that artist model in silver.
    You will love its feel besides being a gorgeous looking product.
    I had a Selmer SA80 II, and even though the bottom was full, the top register died.. No personality or power.
    This has a full tone throughout, all the way to the low register,
    and yet can be bright if you want it to, with the right mouthpiece.
    It is one of the most overlooked Tenors and Altos on the market.
    Jupiter manufactures for MANY of the other brands, and is the oldest
    factory established.
    The new horns, like this one, are as good as any I have played.
    It has more personality than the "Japanese" brands,
    and you it is free flowing.
    Enjoy, and let's here your thoughts when it arrives.
    GOOD CHOICE!!!

Actually, I think I know which one you bought on ebay.
    So, it looked like mint so you got a good deal.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

I visited my mom in the states a few years back and rented a sax, rather than carry my own tenor here and there. The sax I rented was a Jupiter Artist and I really enjoyed playing it. I think you're going to like it, considering it's in good shape.
    Last edited by gary; 09-02-2007 at 12:31 PM.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Well, I received the Tenor and WOW. I am impressed, unfortunately the only mpc I hace is an old Selmer C* from back in the day, but the tone is rich and full from top to bottom. Considering I haven't played Tenor in 12 years I was surprised at how well the horn sounds.

I do need to get the horn setup, the action is a little off in spots. not the horns fault though.

It looks like the previous owner never played it. Not a blemish on the horn.

I will post some pics, soon

Thx to all.

I am looking at now purchasing a Jupitor Alto. Same model. How does it compare though to the 23? Better? Worse? The Same?

I had a Yamaha YAS-23 as my first alto, and then I bought a Jupiter Artist 869. The Yamaha was a great first sax, however the Jupiter Artist was a definate step up in terms of tone and playability.
    Don

These postings are very helpful. I am looking to move my son up to a better tenor. He presently plays a Kinstar entry level horn. We tried a Yamaha YTS-23 (another entry level sax) in a pawn shop the other day. The horn had some serious damage, however, I noticed that the sound was superior to the Kinstar. The Jupiter saxes are much less expensive than comparable Yamahas, so I still question where corners are being cut. I have the opportunity to purchase a "slightly used" JTS-889 for $850. Very tempting!

I once owned a Jupiter Artist alto and tenor. The alto wasn't nearly as good as the tenor was. Man, that tenor could play.
    Over the Rainbow (my YouTube debut), The Star-Spangled Banner, Tennessee Waltz, Fields of Gold

A horn is only as good as the person playing it. -- BJK

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by double reed guy
    We tried a Yamaha YTS-23...in a pawn shop the other day...The Jupiter saxes are much less expensive than comparable Yamahas, so I still question where corners are being cut. I have the opportunity to purchase a "slightly used" JTS-889 for $850. Very tempting!
    I've partially answered on the other thread you posted on doublereedguy, but an additional thought - Yamahas have the reputation going for them and, from what I read here at least, Jupiters are not as widely known. The differences stop there. Jupiters are good saxes. If that Jupiter is like new, then that's a probably a good price.

I rented a new Jupiter Artist several years ago (for two weeks) and when I turned it back in, the store manager said he'd give it to me for $1,200.00, so at $850.00 for that sax you're looking at you probably ought to do a little research on prices before you buy. You might consider starting a thread in the buying advice section something like "Can you help me with Jupiter 800 series pricing?" or the like.

If you do, please do not assume that the readers have read the other two threads - give your info from the ground up. You'll find that many here are more than willing to give you a hand in getting a handle on pricing.

jwfrie2 - good luck and we'll be waiting to hear back from you.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor