Antigua Winds

Default full range scales

Do most colleges require full range scales for udergrad saxophone auditions? Just curious, Ive heard some do it and some do not.

Forum Contributor 2007 jacobeid's Avatar

Some do, so that's how I always practice them. No harm in doing it!
    Alto-Mark VI 118xxx, Mouthpiece Cafe New York Cafe Bros., Hemke 3, bonade inverted.
    Backup: Mark VII 284xxx
    Tenor-Yanagisawa T991, Mouthpiece Cafe Bergonzi Slant Supreme, RJS filed 3S, FL brass.
    Soprano-Yanagisawa S991, Yanagisawa HR 5, La Voz MH

Distinguished SOTW Member Martinman's Avatar

I would definately reccomend learning them that way, but also learn two octave scales (yes, G, G#, and A too) just in case.
    "Martin owners just change the freakin' bulb and get the job done." - MartinMusicMan

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

It probably varies from school to school. But they're probably going to make you start doing them full range once you start attending anyway. So if you're not already, go ahead and start playing them full range.

If you are an improvisor, learning your major, melodic, harmonic minor, and harmonic major scales full range is a must as well as practicing the applicable modes and figuring out their appropriate application.

Get a copy of Larry Teal's, The Saxophonist's Workbook. It contains all scales in extended form, and will make you a much better player in the long run.(IMO)

i know my full range scales very well. Im not worried about them in any way, i was just curious how many schools actually use them for auditions.

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

If you can play them then who cares? Just go in planning to play 'em full range. Even if the school doesn't require it. I doubt they're going to stop you and say "I'm sorry but you lost us, could you just stop at the octave and come back down?"