P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Selmer Mark V1: which years are the best?

Question Selmer Mark V1: which years are the best?

Hello,

The Selmer Mark V1 has had the longest line of being produced in Selmer history.

Which years are the best for a Mark V1?

Is it the 50's 60's or 70's?

Lets say I see a V1 that was made in, say '73. Would the year generally tell me anything about the horn?

The year/serial # of the ones you own are definitely the best
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Try this:
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin...ad.php?t=52183

Years and serial numbers are irrelevant if you like the horn and it plays well for you.

john

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike F's Avatar

54,55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,74,75 were the best years.
    The best ones within those specific periods are the ones not for sale.

If you want a sensible answer, though not necessarily more accurate, check this link - or use the search button.
    http://www.saxpics.com/sotw%5Farchiv...c-4610748.html

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008

I agree with the above statement in that the best ones aren't for sell. You usually have to wait for the owner to kill over before you ever see a great VI up for auction. I bought my VII from such a sell, but my VI was bought from someone that is still alive and as such it's a decent horn, but not a great horn.

Other than that the 5 digit VI's command a premium price and from there as you progress into the 70's the horns supposedly get a little cheaper and less desirable.

Don't buy a VI if you can avoid it. There's too many dogs and many have extensive wear. If you're looking for a great horn get a ref 54 or 36 and slap a III neck on it and have someone really tweak it out. Takes some cash, but it will play as well as any VI that you might run into.

I agree with the above comments & I assume where talking tenor. There are great Mk VI's, not so great Mk VI's and everything in between regardless of the year. I addition to heath's comment regarding the Ref. horns with the Series III neck, I would like to add that you take a fine playing Series III and add the Series III Selmer Gold Brass (Copper) Neck to it and you have a horn that will rival any Mk VI, but with better intonation. I have a fine playing Mk VI I keep for sentimental reasons, however, I play a Brushed Series III tenor with the Gold Brass Neck and it's simply awesome.

Forum Contributor 2008

I play a Brushed Series III tenor with the Gold Brass Neck and it's simply awesome.
    For so long people have been saying that they are too bright, but man does a series III wail when it's been set up. It's such a free blowing horn, good intonation and the reponse from top to bottom make a better than any VI I've ever played.

I would dump my VI and get a Series III with no hesitation. I just can't justify anymore horns at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    I would dump my VI and get a Series III with no hesitation. I just can't justify anymore horns at this point.
    The beauty of it, heath, is that you wouldn't have more horns since you would be dumping the VI... so, you now have permission to go ahead with no hesitation. In fact, not only would your # of saxes stay the same, you would also probably end up with a nice chunk of change in your pocket.

Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Contributor 2010 AG's Avatar

I think people tend to judge horns based on their own perception of what is suppose to be good rather than making a decision on each individual horn's merits. there's always gonna be horns that are better than others regardless of serial number, make or model. you gotta try em to find em.

Forum Contributor 2008

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    For so long people have been saying that they are too bright, but man does a series III wail when it's been set up. It's such a free blowing horn, good intonation and the reponse from top to bottom make a better than any VI I've ever played
    I also noticed that many posters remark the III being a bright horn (so did my instructor before playing mine), but my early III tenor is not any brighter than my Aristocrat Big B which I don't think is generally viewed as a bright sax. I play it with a goldbrass neck which made it less edgy, more pleasing than the stock neck.

I had it together with a '68 Mark VI and that is the one that got sold after 2 months of comparison. Intonation is much easier on the III and tone is very, very close to it.

I also playtested a brand new Ref 36 from a local store and found it quite less responsive than my III.

I think a good serie III tenor is hard to beat and those on ebay can be had for about 2500$ in very good conditions. About the same price of a brand new reputable taiwanese tenor. I had also one of those (P.Mauriat 66R) and for me there is no comparison: the serie III allows me to get to the tenor sound I have in mind.

Distinguished SOTW Member HeavyWeather77's Avatar

Good Selmer = Good Selmer

I also love my Series III alto. And my Mark VI tenor. And I've loved some VI altos, hated others, hated some Series IIs, and other Series IIs have been some the best horns I've ever played in my life. There might be some lemons among Selmers, but the metal's good, the parts are good, and if you get one adjusted by a mechanic whose work you like (WAAAY bigger effect than serial number) then you'll have one of the best horns on the planet.

Then comes the hard part.... playing it. And playing it and playing it and playing it. Then maybe after a few years "it" will start to sound good.