Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Olds Mouthpiece HUH???????

So I get a Armstrong 3006 alto for practice, and I put my Clark Fobes Debut mouthpiece on it. Annnnd it plays, but hard. The Armstrong came with this mouthpiece that I considered just a low end junky mouthpiece.

Anyway I am playing the thing, and I get tired, and the OLDS mouthpiece that came with the Armstrong is just sitting there, so I figure - Why not at least try it before it is resigned to the bottom draw into mouthpiece oblivion.

It makes the Armstrong sing. Easy low notes, great sound up top.

So I go to look up this mysterious mouthpiece, and cannot find a thing on it.

It says OLDS Elkhart Ind on top. On the side 3 and then after the 3 a star.

Anybody have any info on this mouthpiece of mystery????? And why it can make this Armstrong sing, but the Fobes(old standby) cannot
    Just remember it is only one step from saxophone to switchblade.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Timtin: It probably plays well for you because of your own personal embouchure. That one mouthpiece plays well for one person and not another is no mystery - it is just the unveiling of another saxophone myth - that a chosen mouthpiece should play good for many because it plays good for you. Enjoy it. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Is it a vintage mpc? The Olds saxes in the 40s were greatr and possibly the mouthpieces wer made by Woodwind, Link or someone great.

Distinguished SOTW Member

One of the best alto mpc's i own is a weltklang bought for about $2 (£1.00) at a junk sale. Ebonite or bakolite piece thats as hard as iron.
    Dave

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Can you post a few pics including the inside from the front and back?

In my opinion, the older the sax/MPC, the beter. U compare a C* from 1950 and a C* from 2006, ull c a noticeable differance.