Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default The History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos-1955-1998

For those who have an interest, this project has been completed (276 pages) and I am now looking for a publisher. In the meantime, I would like to get the CD set and/or book (includes music CD) out to the sax world so that we can continue to update the text. I will burn the CD set at home and am tring to keep the cost down. Please send a postal m/o or cashiers check. Sorry but I am not set up to accept charge cards.

The photos in the B&W "book copy" are good but not as clear as the CD so keep that in mind. You might want to think about using the CD to print a copy which includes a lot of color photos then having a local print shop bind it for you. Depending on your home printer memory, you will only be able to print 5-6 pages at a time due to the memory that the photos use.

If you can't open the text CD (MS Word) or if the music CD does not play on your equipment, I will refund your money. I have tested it locally and have heard from friends via email and to date there has been no problems with the CD set. When you order please send your typed name and address (to tape on the envelope) and email address in case I need to contact you for an order delay.

Thanks
    John

THE HISTORY OF TOP 40 SAXOPHONE SOLOS 1955-1998

© registration Library of Congress June 23, 2003

By John Laughter

Contact John Laughter - JSAXL@aol.com for mailing/ordering information.

Two CD set with text in MS Word-photos and bios-$10.00 plus postage.
    Postage: U.S and CANADA $1.00
    U.K. $1.60

A local print shop can make a copy of book (B&W) with a plastic spiral binder and color front and back cover for $29.00 plus postage. Allow 2 weeks. Includes music CD. If the print shop raises the cost over the next few months I will post the info.
    Postage: U.S. and CANADA $6.00
    U.K. $13.00

The New Sound

The year was 1955. The new Top 40 hits of Fats Domino, The El Dorados, Billy Vaughn, Bill Haley and the Comets, and Pat Boone were filling the airwaves and jukeboxes across the globe. Teenagers were tuning in and dancing to the new beat. In 1956, Little Richard, Johnny Dankworth, The Dells, Lord Rockingham’s XI, Ken MacIntosh, The Cadillacs, The Five Satins, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, and Bill Doggett also joined in and were recording the new Top 40 hits. It was an exciting time for many teenagers. International popular music was about to change forever, and one unique sound that was common to many hit records was the versatile styles of the saxophone.

Who were the musicians who inspired many of us to learn to play the sax during the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s? Where are they today?

Unfortunately, for many years in the world of pop music most session musicians were never given credit on the LP covers or CD liner notes. In some cases, had it not been for the studio musicians, the record might not have become a hit for the singer. Even in some recordings that used the singer’s own band, credit was not always given to those who made it happen.

In most historical documents there is room for error and misinformation. I have used Internet resources, email responses, and various books to confirm as many dates, names, and songs as possible. However, as I concluded the research and prepared this book to be published, I knew that an updated edition would follow in the future as more songs, names, and corrections surface.

If you have additional information to add to the future editions, please contact me at JSAXL@aol.com and I will add your updates to the text. I hope we will one day have a complete and comprehensive account of these musicians.

The majority of the listed hits contain an obvious solo. However, a few of the hits have a dominant sax line in the background but no solo per se. According to the contributors the background sax line was a vital part of the song so it was added.

Let’s take a trip and go back in time. Do you remember that song and solo that inspired you to pick up the saxophone?

Preface
    Plas Johnson

John Laughter is performing a great service for the many unheralded and unrecognized sax soloists who played on hit records over the decades. For many years the record companies excluded the names of all musicians on their records. There are albums that I played on where the commentary on the back cover speaks about the artist and tunes, then proceeds to describe the recording technique and equipment - nothing about the musicians.

My own documented discography would not be as long and as accurate as it is were it not for Stuart Colman, a producer, record collector, and writer for a rock magazine. Players who solo on many records just don't have the time, even if they have the details to keep up with this.

So, many thanks to John Laughter for his efforts in digging out and publishing this information.

Forward

Dave “Woody” Woodford

John Laughter has done the near impossible with this book. This is more than a simple list of guys who played sax solos on hit records. John has created a saxophone player's rock & roll rosetta stone. What you have here is a history of rock & roll from the point of view of the true “unsung heroes” of the art form... the sax soloists.

In these pages you'll find the most complete history ever recorded of the great Rock & Roll Gunslingers, from Plas Johnson and King Curtis (two of my personal heroes) to my favorite contemporaries like Lenny Pickett and Crispin Cioe. You'll also find biographies and pictures placed throughout this book, letting you get more personally acquainted with some of these great players.

This book is much more than an answer to questions like “Who played the sax lines on Baker Street and Spanish Harlem” or “Who played that wild natural 7 on the V chord of Wooly Bully?” This is a rock, blues or r&b sax player’s master class.

Any musician or non-musician who wants to find out what made (and still makes) rock & roll “ROCK” should read this book, get the cds, listen to the solos and learn what made all of these “gunslingers” special.

Dave “Woody” Woodford
    Los Angeles

United Kingdom Forward
    Snake Davis

This fantastic database of solos and soloists will be as useful and interesting to us the players as to you the sax fans and you the students and future generation of soloists. Exhaustive and thoroughly researched, with its biographies and photos it is fascinating and educational reading, as well as a great source of reference. Hats off to all the players and enthusiasts who got together to make it happen!

Happily for all of us, the world is full of sax nuts, and now the next time someone grabs me after a show and says “Hey, what year was it when you played that solo with so and so on such and such a record?” or “Do you know what mouthpiece Kenny G used on tenor?” I can simply direct them here!

This guy John Laughter must be truly sax-mad! Most of us soul sax players can’t remember what day of the week it is or what music college we went to, never mind what records by what artists we played on, and record companies rarely bothered crediting the unsung heroes in sleeve notes, so we know what a lengthy and frustrating labour of love it must have been to collate all this information!
    Thanks John!

MUSIC CD

GUEST ARTISTS-Alphabetical Order

A very special thanks to the following artists for contributing their talent and CD tracks.

1. Joey Arminio & The Family- “American Outlaw”

2. Andy Brush-“Simply Simpo”

3-4. Ed Calle-“Strut” and “Smood Dude” from his CD titled Twilight on Concord Records, PO Box 845, Concord, Ca 94522

5. Timmy Capppello-“Wiggle”

6. Dan Cipriano-“Beneath Sullivan Street”

7. Andrew Clark- “Cut Off” from his CD titled Jaywalking on Papasax Records, PO Box 5484, Bradford, Ma 01835

8. Chris “Snake” Davis-“You’re The One” from his CD titled Snakebites on Skin Records via Ruth Hopkins, 27 Mayfield Rd, Halesowen, West Midlands, B62 9QW, UK.

9-10. Sax Gordon-“Hubcap Pete” and “Have Horn Will Travel” from his CD titled Have Horn Will Travel on Bullseye Blues & Jazz/ Rounder Records, One Camp Street, Cambridge, Mass. 02140

11. Joe McGlohon-(co-written by Steve Bassett)-“Reggae Gone Shuffle”

12. Jack Prybylski-“Mandalay Bay” from his CD titled Soho Strut

13-14. Tom Timko-“Breakfast At Nat’s” and “Barnacle Bill” from his CD titled Tom Timko And The Horn Dogs on Ratamacue Records, PO Box 279, West Long Branch, NJ 07764

15-16. Chris Vadala-“Out Of The Shadows” and “Club Contrafact” from his CD titled Out Of The Shadows on Usroots Records, Canada

17. Don Wise-“Blue Shoes” from his CD titled Genuine Snake via Wamco Productions, PO Box 2772, Knoxville, Tn 37901

Send an email for a free 56 page list of the hits/sax players. JSAXL@aol.com

Bios/photos/history includes;

WENDALL DUCONGE, HERB HARDESTY, RED HOLLOWAY, JOEY D’AMBROSIA, JUSTIN GORDON, HOWARD DAVIS, RUDY POMPILLI, PLAS JOHNSON, SAM “THE MAN” TAYLOR, JEWELL GRANT, JACKIE KELSO, JOHNNY DANKWORTH, RAY FELDER, RUFUS “NOSE” GORE, CLIFFORD SCOTT, JIMMY WRIGHT, LEE ALLEN, VINNY MAZZETTA, ALVIN “RED” TYLER, CLARENCE FORD, BUDDY HAGANS, LUCIUS WASHINGTON, MCKINLEY EASTON, JESSE POWELL, BIG AL SEARS, GENE “DADDY G” BARGE, GENE UPSHAW, FRANK PAUL ORCHESTRA, JESSE JAMES JONES, DICK STABILE, GRADY GAINES, CLIFFORD BURKS, WILBERT SMITH, BILL JUSTIS, THOMAS “BEANS” BOWLES, JIMMY DORSEY, LINK DAVIS, STEVE DOUGLAS, CHUCK RIO, AL WAYS, GEORGE KATSAKIS, RENE BLOCH, JESSE POWEL, GIL BERNAL, BILL CRANDALL, EDDIE PRATT, PAUL ROBERTS, KING CURTIS, JOHNNY PARKER, WILLIE COWART, JIM HORN, JOHNNY PARIS, BUDDY LUCAS, MARK MARUSH, ACE CANNON, J. C. DAVIS, ARTIE KAPLAN, DAVID LASTIE, BOOTS RANDOLPH, MARTIN WILLIS, LAWSON SUTTON, HENRY MOORE, HENRY BOOTH, JIMMY SEALS, VINCENT “JIMMY” ABATO, ROBERT PARKER, TONY GOMEZ, TONY GRAVAGNA, NAT PERRILLIAT, RICHARD LANE, CHARLES PACKY AXTON, BUDDY SAVIT, RONNIE WAKEFIELD, MIKE TERRY, ROMEO PENQUE, PAUL DESMOND, DAVID BROOKS, MAC MCINTYRE, LLOYD BAKER, STAN GETZ, BILL RAMELL, ALFRED CORLEY, AL “BRISCO” CLARK, JEROME RICHARDSON, MIKE HENDERSON, GEORGE YOUNG, HANK CRAWFORD, DAVID “FATHEAD” NEWMAN, LEROY “HOG” COOPER, JERRY DODGION, PHIL WOODS, ROBERT ASHTON, “BABE” CLARK, GEORGE BARROW, JOE GRIER, AL MARCZYK, HANK COSBY, JR. WALKER, MIKE LOVE, GILBERT CAPLES, MITCHELL MAY, MICKEY KIPLER, DENIS PAYTON, ALAN WATSON, JIMMY SMITH, SAINT CLAIR PINCKNEY, JEROME RICHARDSON, SELDON POWELL, Al "BRISCO" CLARK, GEORGE DORSEY, HAYWOOD HENRY, NAT JONES, ELDEE WILLIAM, MARK MARUSH, ALAN SKIDMORE, MICK EVE, NINO TEMPO, MACEO PARKER, BUTCH GIBSON, TOMMY MAY, KASUKU MAFIA, HARRY HALLER, ANDREW LOVE, CHARLIE CHALMERS, JIMMY CASTOR, CANNONBALL ADDERLEY, PHALON JONES, DENNIS SPRINGER, RONNIE SCOTT, MIKE SMITH, ALLEN JONES, JERRY MARTINI, JIM SPEIDEL, AL ABREAU, BOB KERR, MIKE (SHARP) SHAPIRO, FRED LIPSIUS, BOBBY KEYS, CURTIS AMY, RAY JARREL, BERNARD WILLIAMS, CLARENCE TOWNS, STEVE KENNEDY, JACK SCHROER, COLLIN TILTON, VAN MORRISON, JACK SCHROER, GIL BRIDGES, ROBERT “CHOPPER” McCOLLOUGH, CHARLES MILLER, WILD BILL MOORE, BOB MESSENGER, ELI FONTAINE, IAN MCDONALD, JEAN LOUIS CHAUTEMPS, ALAIN HATOT, LEON “ZACH” ZACHERY, TREVOR LAWRENCE, FRANKIE HARDCASTLE, WIZZARD NICK PENTELOW, MIKE BURNEY, ROY WOOD, MICHAEL BRECKER, CLARENCE “SATCH” SATCHELL EDGAR WINTER, RONALD BELL, DENNIS “DEE TEE” THOMAS, WALT PARAZADER, DICK PARRY, DAVID BOWIE, JON CLARKE, AL GARTH, LENNY PICKET, BILL RISBROOK, TOM SCOTT, DAVID SANBORN, PEE WEE ELLIS, EDDIE DANIELS, JOE FARRELL-TENOR, DAVID TOFANI-REEDS, FRANK VICARI, DOUG STRONG, CHRISTER EKLUND, JOHN HELLIWELL, CLARENCE CLEMONS, STAN SCHWARTZ, IRV COX, MALCOLM “MOLLY” DUNCAN, ZOOT SIMS, TEDDY OSEI, DWIGHT BEMENT, ULF ANDERSSON, ANDY MACKAY, JOE FARRELL, JERRY JUMONVILLE, ANDREW WHITE, JEFF DALY, GEORGE YOUNG, NIGEL TRUBRIDGE, JIMMY BROWN, DAVID MUSE, RAY PIZZI, TREVOR LAURENCE, HANK REDD, OTIS HALE, JON CLARKE, PHIL KENZIE, PHIL KENZIE, RAPHAEL RAVENSCROFT, PETE CHRISTLIEB, CHRIS VADALA, DON MYRICK, DAVEY PAYNE, KEVIN KUPTZ, ERNIE WATTS, MEL COLLINS, RICHIE CANNATA, ALBIE DONNELLY, LEROY FLEMING, LON PRICE, JAY BECKENSTEIN, LEE “KIX” THOMPSOM, ALTO REED, WILTON FELDER, BILL HARROWER, ANDY HAAS, DALE MENDENHAL, J. B. BLYTE, STEVE “BABYFACE” SPOONER, DAVE TOFANI, BRYAN SAVAGE, CORNELIUS BUMPUS, GERRY NIEWOOD, BOBBY NAVARRETE, ZOOT ALORS, STEVE EISEN, DAVID WOODFORD, JOEL C.PESKIN, ROBERT HARWELL, “REV” DAVE BORUFF, DON MYRICK, ANDY MACKAY, GROVER WASHINGTON, JR., DANIEL LE’MELLE, RONALD EADES, EDWARD MANION, RAY BEAVIS, WESLEY MCGOOGAN, JOHNNY COLLA, RINDY ROSS, MARTIN DOBSON, GARY BARNACLE, CHARLIE DECHANT, JOHN “IRISH” EARL, JON MARETT, MARTY JOURARD, COOL T, JAY SCOTT, LARRY WILLIAMS, TOM SAVIANO, SONNY ROLLINS, GREG HAM, STEVE NORMAN, STEVE ELSON, STEPHEN SINGLETON, ANDY HAMILTON, GARY HERBIG, TOM TRINKA, STEVE GRAINGER, JEFFREY SMITH, ANDY ADERINTO, BILLY CHAPMAN, MIKE ANTUNES, JIMMY Z, EDDIE M, STEVE GREGORY, BRANFORD MARSALIS, JON JOYCE, TOM SAVIANO, MARK RIVIERA, RONNIE CUBER, TIMMY CAPPELLO, KEITH EVANS, KIRK WHALUM, STUART MATTHEWMAN, DAVID WOODFORD, BILL BERGMAN, MARTIN DOBSON, TONY HALL, SID PHILLIPS, CHRISTIAN OSTERMEIER, NEVILLE HENRY, CRISPIN CIOE, RAY CARLESS, STEPHEN “DOC” KRUPA, PREMIK RUSSELL TUBBS, DAVID BAPTISTE, STEVE HAMILTON, ANDY HAMILTON, DUNCAN KILBURN, MARS WILIAMS, PAUL HANSON, BARNEY WILENS, KIRK PENGILLY, MARTIN GREEN, CHRIS WHITE, JERRY PETERSON, KENNY G, DANNY HULL, EDDIE MONEY, PETE THOMAS, STEPHEN SINGLETON, DAVEY PAYNE, DAVE KOZ, STEVE GROVE, LARRY SCHNEIDER, CHRIS MOSTERT, ANDY SNITZER, MARC RUSSO, SCOTT MAYO, WAYNE SHORTER, TROY WILLIAMS, MIKE SCAGLIONE, MIRANDA JOYCE, CLARE HIRST, DAVE MCMURRAY, VINCE DENHAM, ARNO HECHT, GERALD ALBRIGHT, BOB GAY, RICHARD ELLIOTT, CURTIS STIGERS, CANDY DULFER, CHRIS MOSTERT, BRANDON FIELDS, JAY DAVIDSON, IAN KIRKHAM, JOE MCGLOHON, JEFF ALLEN, CHRIS “SNAKE” DAVIS, NICKY PAYNE, STEVE BEIGHTON, WARREN HILL, LEROI MOORE, COURTNEY PINE, KEVIN LENEAR, CRAIG SHIELDS, BILL RUNGE and BILLY VAUGHN.

You can now download the "short list" at;

http://members.aol.com/jsaxl/jlaughter

The free "short list" is now 63 pages and is updated through 2005. Send for your free copy via JSAXL@aol.com

The CD book is now 311 pages through 2005 and growing.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I was going through the list on the website and was a bit suprised by the tenor sax credit for Chris White on Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick.

Isn't it Michael Brecker playing on that song?

Louis, you are correct. Sorry but I have not checked this thread in some time. You may have been looking at an older copy of the list. We have made a lot of changes over the years. The initial credit was probably given to Chris as a result of the tour.

#26 (UK) YOUR LATEST TRICK— DIRE STRAITS
    MICHAEL BRECKER-TENOR
    Intro by RANDY BRECKER-TRUMPET
    In November 1984, Dire Straits began the recording of Brothers In Arms, with the hit “Money For Nothing.” It turned out that the LP was the biggest selling one ever in England. In May 1985 Chris White performed during the “Brothers In Arms” tour.

Please send an email for the most recent list. JSAXL@aol.com

Nice to see my old friend Davey Payne in the list for his double sax solo on Hit me with your rhythm stick

Well done Davey

mamos

Default Re: The History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos-1955-1998

Please email the list of tunes or more info about this to bartlettmusicacademy@gmail.com
    Yanisigawa Curve Sop - Selmer S80 & Bay Lig., Yamaha Alto 875 Custom with Silver Plate G3 Neck - Selmer Soloist C# & Van. Opt. Lig., Jupiter Silver Plate 989SG Ten - Meyer 6 & Van. Opt. Lig., 1950's Martin Bari - Yamaha 5c, Bose T1 ToneMatch Pre, & Beyer and Sennheiser Mics / www.RhythmRockets.net / www.KrestonSmith.com / http://www.BartlettMusicStore.com

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bfahle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartlettmusicacademy View Post
    Please email the list of tunes or more info about this to bartlettmusicacademy@gmail.com
    You're probably better off e-mailing John directly at the AOL address above.
    Cannonball "Vintage" Pete Christlieb Tenor
    Pierret Oxford Tenor
    Cannonball Global Soprano

Thanks for the inquiry. I sent an updated list. Many changes have been made since the last posting. Anyone who wants this free list just send an email to JSAXL@aol.com We can use your help in making sure that the credits are correct. This project was started in 1999 so we have come a long way.

So Where is this project now?

Is there a Book?
    Is there A CD?
    Packaged Set?

How Much?

I was just looking for Something which brought this whole thing to my attention.

I was looking for the sax Player for the Song "Only The Lonely" by The Motels.

I had to ask a Vinyl-o-Phyle Friend Of Mine who new exactly who I wanted to know about. Not everybody has a friend who can pull this stuff out of there head at a moments notice.

Quote Originally Posted by John Laughter View Post
    For those who have an interest, this project has been completed (276 pages) and I am now looking for a publisher. In the meantime, I would like to get the CD set and/or book (includes music CD) out to the sax world so that we can continue to update the text. I will burn the CD set at home and am tring to keep the cost down. Please send a postal m/o or cashiers check. Sorry but I am not set up to accept charge cards.

The photos in the B&W "book copy" are good but not as clear as the CD so keep that in mind. You might want to think about using the CD to print a copy which includes a lot of color photos then having a local print shop bind it for you. Depending on your home printer memory, you will only be able to print 5-6 pages at a time due to the memory that the photos use.

If you can't open the text CD (MS Word) or if the music CD does not play on your equipment, I will refund your money. I have tested it locally and have heard from friends via email and to date there has been no problems with the CD set. When you order please send your typed name and address (to tape on the envelope) and email address in case I need to contact you for an order delay.

Thanks
    John

THE HISTORY OF TOP 40 SAXOPHONE SOLOS 1955-1998

© registration Library of Congress June 23, 2003

By John Laughter

Contact John Laughter - JSAXL@aol.com for mailing/ordering information.

Two CD set with text in MS Word-photos and bios-$10.00 plus postage.
    Postage: U.S and CANADA $1.00
    U.K. $1.60

A local print shop can make a copy of book (B&W) with a plastic spiral binder and color front and back cover for $29.00 plus postage. Allow 2 weeks. Includes music CD. If the print shop raises the cost over the next few months I will post the info.
    Postage: U.S. and CANADA $6.00
    U.K. $13.00

The New Sound

The year was 1955. The new Top 40 hits of Fats Domino, The El Dorados, Billy Vaughn, Bill Haley and the Comets, and Pat Boone were filling the airwaves and jukeboxes across the globe. Teenagers were tuning in and dancing to the new beat. In 1956, Little Richard, Johnny Dankworth, The Dells, Lord Rockingham’s XI, Ken MacIntosh, The Cadillacs, The Five Satins, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, and Bill Doggett also joined in and were recording the new Top 40 hits. It was an exciting time for many teenagers. International popular music was about to change forever, and one unique sound that was common to many hit records was the versatile styles of the saxophone.

Who were the musicians who inspired many of us to learn to play the sax during the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s? Where are they today?

Unfortunately, for many years in the world of pop music most session musicians were never given credit on the LP covers or CD liner notes. In some cases, had it not been for the studio musicians, the record might not have become a hit for the singer. Even in some recordings that used the singer’s own band, credit was not always given to those who made it happen.

In most historical documents there is room for error and misinformation. I have used Internet resources, email responses, and various books to confirm as many dates, names, and songs as possible. However, as I concluded the research and prepared this book to be published, I knew that an updated edition would follow in the future as more songs, names, and corrections surface.

If you have additional information to add to the future editions, please contact me at JSAXL@aol.com and I will add your updates to the text. I hope we will one day have a complete and comprehensive account of these musicians.

The majority of the listed hits contain an obvious solo. However, a few of the hits have a dominant sax line in the background but no solo per se. According to the contributors the background sax line was a vital part of the song so it was added.

Let’s take a trip and go back in time. Do you remember that song and solo that inspired you to pick up the saxophone?

Preface
    Plas Johnson

John Laughter is performing a great service for the many unheralded and unrecognized sax soloists who played on hit records over the decades. For many years the record companies excluded the names of all musicians on their records. There are albums that I played on where the commentary on the back cover speaks about the artist and tunes, then proceeds to describe the recording technique and equipment - nothing about the musicians.

My own documented discography would not be as long and as accurate as it is were it not for Stuart Colman, a producer, record collector, and writer for a rock magazine. Players who solo on many records just don't have the time, even if they have the details to keep up with this.

So, many thanks to John Laughter for his efforts in digging out and publishing this information.

Forward

Dave “Woody” Woodford

John Laughter has done the near impossible with this book. This is more than a simple list of guys who played sax solos on hit records. John has created a saxophone player's rock & roll rosetta stone. What you have here is a history of rock & roll from the point of view of the true “unsung heroes” of the art form... the sax soloists.

In these pages you'll find the most complete history ever recorded of the great Rock & Roll Gunslingers, from Plas Johnson and King Curtis (two of my personal heroes) to my favorite contemporaries like Lenny Pickett and Crispin Cioe. You'll also find biographies and pictures placed throughout this book, letting you get more personally acquainted with some of these great players.

This book is much more than an answer to questions like “Who played the sax lines on Baker Street and Spanish Harlem” or “Who played that wild natural 7 on the V chord of Wooly Bully?” This is a rock, blues or r&b sax player’s master class.

Any musician or non-musician who wants to find out what made (and still makes) rock & roll “ROCK” should read this book, get the cds, listen to the solos and learn what made all of these “gunslingers” special.

Dave “Woody” Woodford
    Los Angeles

United Kingdom Forward
    Snake Davis

This fantastic database of solos and soloists will be as useful and interesting to us the players as to you the sax fans and you the students and future generation of soloists. Exhaustive and thoroughly researched, with its biographies and photos it is fascinating and educational reading, as well as a great source of reference. Hats off to all the players and enthusiasts who got together to make it happen!

Happily for all of us, the world is full of sax nuts, and now the next time someone grabs me after a show and says “Hey, what year was it when you played that solo with so and so on such and such a record?” or “Do you know what mouthpiece Kenny G used on tenor?” I can simply direct them here!

This guy John Laughter must be truly sax-mad! Most of us soul sax players can’t remember what day of the week it is or what music college we went to, never mind what records by what artists we played on, and record companies rarely bothered crediting the unsung heroes in sleeve notes, so we know what a lengthy and frustrating labour of love it must have been to collate all this information!
    Thanks John!

MUSIC CD

GUEST ARTISTS-Alphabetical Order

A very special thanks to the following artists for contributing their talent and CD tracks.

1. Joey Arminio & The Family- “American Outlaw”

2. Andy Brush-“Simply Simpo”

3-4. Ed Calle-“Strut” and “Smood Dude” from his CD titled Twilight on Concord Records, PO Box 845, Concord, Ca 94522

5. Timmy Capppello-“Wiggle”

6. Dan Cipriano-“Beneath Sullivan Street”

7. Andrew Clark- “Cut Off” from his CD titled Jaywalking on Papasax Records, PO Box 5484, Bradford, Ma 01835

8. Chris “Snake” Davis-“You’re The One” from his CD titled Snakebites on Skin Records via Ruth Hopkins, 27 Mayfield Rd, Halesowen, West Midlands, B62 9QW, UK.

9-10. Sax Gordon-“Hubcap Pete” and “Have Horn Will Travel” from his CD titled Have Horn Will Travel on Bullseye Blues & Jazz/ Rounder Records, One Camp Street, Cambridge, Mass. 02140

11. Joe McGlohon-(co-written by Steve Bassett)-“Reggae Gone Shuffle”

12. Jack Prybylski-“Mandalay Bay” from his CD titled Soho Strut

13-14. Tom Timko-“Breakfast At Nat’s” and “Barnacle Bill” from his CD titled Tom Timko And The Horn Dogs on Ratamacue Records, PO Box 279, West Long Branch, NJ 07764

15-16. Chris Vadala-“Out Of The Shadows” and “Club Contrafact” from his CD titled Out Of The Shadows on Usroots Records, Canada

17. Don Wise-“Blue Shoes” from his CD titled Genuine Snake via Wamco Productions, PO Box 2772, Knoxville, Tn 37901

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
    I was looking for the sax Player for the Song "Only The Lonely" by The Motels.
    MARTY JOURARD - according to John Laughter's History of Top 40 Sax Solos 1955-1998. As John says in his post, "anyone who wants this free list just send an email to JSAXL@aol.com."
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Did that..... Waiting.

Thanks Martin.

Beastie, hopefully this will answer your questions;

Is there a Book? No. It will probably never be published in book form due to the expense and limited sales. And it changes every week as we add new songs or find the correct name of the sax player. We then edit the CD contents. Some people will print the pages from the CD then add a binder to make a book for easy reading.

Is there A CD? There is a CD set. One CD contains the song/bio/photo/history contents from 1955-2005 and is about 434 pages to date and growing. The CD does not contain a recording of the actual hit song. When the CD set is purchased for $10.00 plus mailing you will also receive a 17 track CD with the "Guest Artists". These sax players contributed their recordings to add to the project.

Packaged Set? Just two CD's mailed in a CD mailer.

In some cases the free list (78 pages to date) is all that is needed since it shows the song/singer/sax player/year/position.

Glad to email it to anyone. JSAXL@aol.com

May I use Paypal to send $10 + Postage, and perhaps an additional $1 to cover Paypal fee, to "JSAXL@aol.com"?
    Last edited by Beastie; 03-08-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Paypal fee include

Yes, you sure can.

To anybody reading this thread:

Has anybody collected (started to collect, accumulated a few of, etc...), the tunes found in this historical document.

Reason I ask is.

four years ago I wrote the template for the html archival presentation for every song in the entire Queensryche discography. With a small bit of re-arranging, I could apply this template to fit this projects entire song list.

Most "Solos" last for a shorter duration than the legally defined length for a sample, applicable to sharing mp3 rips. which would make sharing a totally legal endeavor. See Amazon.com where they also use samples of nearly every song they sell.

Just a thought.....

Default Re: The History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos-1955-2005

We are now up to the year 2005. The free list is now 84 pages and can be sent by email. Send a request to JSAXL@aol.com

The CD book is now 451 pages and continues to expand as we find more players, photos and historical info.

We can use any and all help with names, corrections and additions and will be glad to add Top 40 hits that have been overlooked from all countries.

If you personally know a sax player who has been given credit in the list send an email and I will let you know what info we have about the individual. If you want to add more info through an interview or if you can send a photo we will give you credit. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast