P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric pickup

Default Electric pickup

has anyone used a Telex Telethin earset reiver on their mouthpiece as a pickup? They look like the Maestro pickup.

I used to have something similar from sennheiser. It actually came with a maestro effects box. I don´t´have a pic of the other side, but it almost looked the same

Do you still have that pickup...if so willing to sell it?

Sorry, sold it last year. But a modern clip mic is way better.

Default Sax pickups

Now let me get this straight, this pickup mount on your mouth piece. Do you have to drive a hole in it? I've seen the ones that go on the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsax
    Now let me get this straight, this pickup mount on your mouth piece. Do you have to drive a hole in it? I've seen the ones that go on the neck.
    Yeah, you have to drill a hole.

Any suggestions on a good lig to go with a mouthpiece with a pick-up???

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008
    and no fun title

I simply suggest against the mpc or neck pickup, a modern clip on mic or stationary mic is waaaaay better
    Martin D. Williams
    Yeah, I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Williams
    I simply suggest against the mpc or neck pickup, a modern clip on mic or stationary mic is waaaaay better
    i have a clip-on on the way.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Default Re: Electric pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Williams View Post
    I know I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread here, but I have a problem that a neck or mouthpiece pickup may solve. That problem is that the places I play are just WAY TOO LOUD. My microphone cannot isolate me, and I am running a mixture of my own sound and the noise from all the other amplified gear on stage into my effects. This means (1) I'm pitch-shifting OTHER people's sounds, which is bad, and (2) my Digitech Vocalist Live 2 can't track me and starts stuttering, which is worse.

What options still exist in the way of neck and mouthpiece pickups (mouthpiece being preferred)?
    SAX QUARTET (trio, sextet, etc.): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Quote Originally Posted by Mal 2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Williams View Post
    I know I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread here, but I have a problem that a neck or mouthpiece pickup may solve. That problem is that the places I play are just WAY TOO LOUD. My microphone cannot isolate me, and I am running a mixture of my own sound and the noise from all the other amplified gear on stage into my effects. This means (1) I'm pitch-shifting OTHER people's sounds, which is bad, and (2) my Digitech Vocalist Live 2 can't track me and starts stuttering, which is worse.

What options still exist in the way of neck and mouthpiece pickups (mouthpiece being preferred)?
    If they're that loud, they're too loud. The health issue with you and your buddies, plus the audience members is more important, IMO. I suspect that your monitors or the guitar amps are way up there. Also, the PA may be too much for the venue.

I hope that you're wearing earplugs.

There's absolutely no reason to play above 105 dB SPL at the console.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_sax View Post
    That depends what you want to use it for. Some vintage FX boxes won't work with a clip mic.

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    If they're that loud, they're too loud. The health issue with you and your buddies, plus the audience members is more important, IMO. I suspect that your monitors or the guitar amps are way up there. Also, the PA may be too much for the venue.

I hope that you're wearing earplugs.

There's absolutely no reason to play above 105 dB SPL at the console.
    I absolutely am wearing earplugs, from the moment I wave hello to the bouncers at the door, to the moment I get to the parking lot after the gig.

It's not our PA, it's a house system. We play at nightclubs, and they like it really really loud. If we demanded they turn down, they'd just laugh at us and never call back. Trying to talk to each other we practically have to yell from a foot or two away just to be heard. That's how loud the DJs are, and they crank us up equally loud. We have no guitar, or haven't in years anyhow. We had a brief time when one of our singers (an excellent guitarist) would use an acoustic-electric on some songs, but outside of wedding reception gigs and the like (where we DO provide our own sound), the gain levels just made it howl mercilessly. After a time where we had a revolving door at the bass chair, he took that spot over and did quite well once he'd built up the endurance it takes.

After a while he left to form his own trio (with piano and percussion) where he is the lead singer and guitarist. We miss him, but frankly that's a better gig for him. Sometimes he still picks up the bass on the piano-oriented charts.

In any case, there is no cure for the extreme volume levels. I have to use my 4-channel mixer as a headphone amp just to hear myself -- I wear one side of the headphones only, and generally only halfway on the ear. If the monitors are loud enough for me to hear myself, they will feed back every time.

None of my effects are vintage unless you count the Yamaha REX50 which I only use for distortion, and very infrequently. Everything else was purchased new in the last couple years. For the nightclub gigs, the only one I really care about is the Digitech. If I can make that one happy, all the others will be too.
    SAX QUARTET (trio, sextet, etc.): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by warp x View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_sax View Post
    That depends what you want to use it for. Some vintage FX boxes won't work with a clip mic.
    I think you mean some vintage FX boxes only have a 1/4 inch jack, right? You can always use a XLR to 1/4 adapter for that.....
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later. "
    Miles

http://barcusberry.com/product.cfm?ProductID=6

Like the others...I wouldn't use a pick-up...or play in a place that has to have the volume levels so loud it takes it beyond the threshold of enjoying the show. After all if your following starts having hearing loss...how are they to continue listening to you?
    “What I reach for first when I play is sound. Technique maybe, but there is technique in sound.” –Dewey Redman
    “Hipness isn’t a state of mind; it’s a fact of life.” - Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley
    www.stormyband.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    http://barcusberry.com/product.cfm?ProductID=6

Like the others...I wouldn't use a pick-up...or play in a place that has to have the volume levels so loud it takes it beyond the threshold of enjoying the show. After all if your following starts having hearing loss...how are they to continue listening to you?
    Perhaps you would like to be the voice of reason and negotiate with the following places. I'm sure they will gladly agree with your astute observations:

Every one of them is TOO DAMN LOUD. El Floridita is probably the least of them simply because their sound system is crap. They still push it till it clips though.

So I suppose everyone is philosophically opposed to answering the question, because they feel they know better than I how my business should be conducted. OK, never mind.

Actually, Mark R gave you a link to barcus berry...

If that won't do it, nothing will.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    Actually, Mark R gave you a link to barcus berry...

If that won't do it, nothing will.
    Then nothing will.

I need a pickup that has zero or near-zero pickup of sounds other than my own horn. Even the Barcus Berry is going to pick up SOME extraneous sound because the bell is open to the air. I've tried other clip-ons and they're not even close to adequate. I've used my MD421U stand-mounted and it's better than the clip-ons. The harmonizer STILL loses track of me. I don't want to buy more hardware, only to find it is incapable of doing what I need to do, which is to pick up my sound exclusively. What else can I do, stick a dozen noise-cancelling microphones to various points and mix them all together?

Mouthpiece pickups USED to exist. Did they all just vanish off the face of the earth? What about neck pickups like the Varitone? I know that was a uniquely Selmer thing, but didn't anyone else do something similar as an aftermarket product? If the tone quality is lacking, that is just something I have to deal with. I'd let the pickup drive the harmonizer, and use the 421 to get a "dry" signal I can mix back in. Then the fake horns might sound tinny, but I won't.

Forum Contributor 2013
    seeker of the knowing of the changes to everything.

I've struggled to hear myself since I started playing with guitarists, but not to the point that you are describing, even at practice at times when things go over the top I find myself getting quite "snippy" and quietly stew in the corner until I actually have moved into the hallway.

I'm curious - if it's that loud that you can't even use a bell mounted mic because of the band "wash", how can it possibly be any fun for you at all? Even more curiouser.... how do you know if you are in tune? or if your tone is good?
    Jazz without the blues is like BBQ without the sauce - JL

Reference 36 Tenor, Martin Committee II Tenor, Yamaha 62 Tenor, Barone Sop.

You only go around once, and this ain't no rehearsal - Henri Selmer

Forum Contributor 2014

I don't use a pick up but if I did I would go the vintage way. I like the distorted overdriven sounds that Soft Machine and The Mothers got using the Maestro woodwind effects. I just bought a vintage pick up called the RB pickup made by Robert Brillhart in California in the 60's. It is drilled into the piece. For pure amplification bell mounted or a good mike with good monitors is the way to go. Standing on the opposite side of the stage to guitarists is a good idea I've always found especially those who have amps that go up to 11.

I also have a vintage ( 70's) flute pickup made in London by Ashton Tootle. It replaces the cork head joint stopper . goes to an on off bass treble box you clip on your belt and to the amp. I used to use it with a guitar combo and it worked quite well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast