Sax on the Web Forum banner

Fibracell buzzing

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  wersax 
#1 ·
I tried a Fibracell and it, as the title indicates, was too buzzy. Would a harder one be less so?

#3 ·
I have to say, I was a fan of fibracells until I tried Legere. I dont think I will be going back to the fibracells. I didnt realize how buzzy they were getting until I switched. The guy I play with from time to time noticed right away.

#4 ·
I have always been warned about the massive amounts of buzz fibracell reeds have by my instructor; he told me about a soprano player using a 5, and had an insanely buzzy sound. After playing one (on tenor) I agree with him. I can't reccomend another synthetic if that is what you are looking for; I only use cane.

#5 ·
Maybe try Plasticovers. I'm really enjoying them on tenor. They're a nice compromise between synthetic and cane. They have a nice, bright, clear, focused tone that aren't too buzzy, but have their fair share of edge. Plus, you don't have to go through all that soaking business.

#6 · (Edited)
Martinman,

I get a clear beautiful sound with regular cut Legere saxophone reeds. Any reed that gives me buzz goes into the trash can!

Roger

#7 ·
Those of us who have been using Fibracells for several years have noticed that the most recent design change has reduced the "buzziness" a fair amount. An alto player I know suggested that the buzzy quality gets worse the smaller the Fibracell...I have to agree. On clarinet or alto the buzziness is distinct, audible, undesirable, but on baritone it manifests itself as a slight edge that really gives the sound some presence. Maestroelite is right: synthetics aren't for everyone.

#8 ·
MPL said:
Those of us who have been using Fibracells for several years have noticed that the most recent design change has reduced the "buzziness" a fair amount. An alto player I know suggested that the buzzy quality gets worse the smaller the Fibracell...I have to agree. On clarinet or alto the buzziness is distinct, audible, undesirable, but on baritone it manifests itself as a slight edge that really gives the sound some presence. Maestroelite is right: synthetics aren't for everyone.
That makes since, as previously stated, the kid in my post was playing soprano. I can only imagine the buzz.

Rodger, I am glad that you can use synthetic reeds. You probably spend much less money on reeds than I do.

#9 ·
Martinman,

One of the main reasons I switched to Legere is most of my playing involves doubling. For years I had dreamed of finding a synthetic reed that sounded close to a good quality cane reed. However, I never found anything that sounded as good as my favorite cane reeds. Then, when I tried Legere I discovered that they are different from the other synthetics I tested.

That said, it took me a period of time to adjust my chops and set up in order to get into my grove with Legere. I discovered that some mouthpiece facings work better with Legere than other mouthpieces. It took some trial & error to figure it out on each of my horns (see signature below).

Now, I'm extremely happy with my sound and the way Legeres work for me. I also feel liberated from the hassles I went through all of my playing life with cane. Legere reeds last a long time when they are used in rotation and following Guy Legere's suggestions about switching reeds after playing on them an hour (ie, after each set at a gig). Over the long run I'm probably saving money on reeds. However, for me that's secondary. The primary reason is how great they work for me in doubling (no more dried out reeds when switching horns!) and how beautifully they sound and play.

Roger

#10 ·
To me Fibracells have the buzz of a bright jazz reed, (think old Rico Royals or La Voz reeds); Legeres, to me, are just another plastic reed. Better than the others, sure, but with the "hash and buzz" you'd expect of a plastic reed...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.