P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Saxophone found in Bonnie & Clyde "Death Car"

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Default Saxophone found in Bonnie & Clyde "Death Car"

Legendary outlaw Clyde Barrow is remembered for his love of the Ford V-8, peach ice cream, and a certain female firearms enthusiast. Now, some 7 decades after they met their end in a fusillade of police bullets, their famous Death Car is revealed to have contained a C-melody saxophone among its arsenal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3621102166

The silver-plated Buescher-stencil Supertone is heavily tarnished, but miraculously free of bullet holes. Includes a contour shaped case, ideal for those who double on "Chicago fiddle."

Opening bid is $12,250. $14,000 takes it away. For that much money you could probably get a restorable '34 Ford V-8...

Hmmm, I think I'd rather buy an undocumented beater and hang it on the wall with a certificate that states "Similar to the Buescher TrueTone owned by..." and save myself $13,850.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

C melodies were known to be bullet proof. Now the F saxophone, well that's a different story. :A-Run:

Distinguished SOTW Member

maybe the c melody oughta have a couple bullet holes in it for 'documentary evidence'...

little BLOOD on it wouldn't hurt, either

Default Re: Saxophone found in Bonnie & Clyde "Death Car&am

Quote Originally Posted by paulwl
    their famous Death Car is revealed to have contained a C-melody saxophone among its arsenal.
    They used a C-melody as a weapon ? Wow, imagine being bludgeoned to death by one of those I wish I could have heard some of the conversations between Bonnie and Clyde in deciding what weapon to use? "Honey, shall I use the machine gun or play them a few bars of St. Louis Blues ?" !

Billy The Fish
    Billy The Fish
    Amateur Musician
    Professional Muso

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

C melodies were once classified by the League of Nations as "weapons of mass distraction"...

Apparently Clyde really did play while on the lam. A quick web search reveals he was "obsessed" with the horn and carried "reams of music" around with him.

Some dedicated model maker has even created a diorama of the ambushed Ford, right down to the bloodstained corpses AND the sax case.

Nice find Paul

"Hand over the money or Clyde plays 'Swanee' again."

If this piece is real (and I'm not convinced - when I was a kid, there were no fewer than hundreds of 'Bonnie and Clyde death cars' touring small midwestern towns - just old jalopies that someone shot full of holes to make money from), I would worry about the legality.

According to the website, it comes from the estate of a police officer - but it belonged to the Barrow estate. A smart lawyer would realize that such a piece is not free of legal claims from other, as yet unspecified, people.

I wonder which reeds he used?

SaxDuck...a smart lawyer wouldn't take the case...maybe the horn...but not the case. And the retainer? 80 year old cork grease? And watch those smart lawyers, they will "pad" their bills.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    I wonder which reeds he used?
    Probably hollow tips. We'll have to wait for ballistics.

LOL Spencer!

You have to wonder if he only played hits. Anyone heard the rare recording of Clyde doing "Killing Me Softly"?

Saxduck wrote

According to the website, it comes from the estate of a police officer - but it belonged to the Barrow estate. A smart lawyer would realize that such a piece is not free of legal claims from other, as yet unspecified, people.
    I don't like to malign a man who can't answer back but does anybody think that Clyde actually bought that horn? Maybe the descendents of musical instrument sellers of the time might like to start checking for missing stock. Of course it may have been a gift from his folks before he made a career change.

I expect he needed to carry a lot of reeds for those days when it just wasn't convenient to pop down to the store. Imagine it, you're holed up, the cops are combing the state, you really want to practice those long tones and phut goes your last reed. We've all been there.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I would have thought it was Bonnie who did the blowing in that gang.