P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: what artist first made u wanna play the saxophone

benypkao

Kenny G!

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G
    Sorry to hear you think that. Did you ever hear him play tenor with the Jeff Lorber Fusion Group? The stuff that he's become famous for is as much the fault of the buying public as anything. He has talent. What he records is a business decision.
    +1 The guy is a great sax player.

My first sax influence was Dr. Richard Wray, a local dentist who played in a local big band. He came to the school band practice one day and played his tenor for us - just stood there and played. I'll never forget it - we were in the auditorium, and the red/blue lights were reflecting off the golden Selmer MK VI tenor while the lush tones were coming out of it. I was a clarinet player at the time and hated it. When the school bought a 'The Martin Baritone' I begged for it and got it. Never looked back. My first well-known influence was Clifford Scott, the tenor man with Bill Doggett on Honky Tonk. I first heard this song at the local fair in around '57. A guy had a little kiosk set up, blaring out 'Honky Tonk' over and over while he sold saxophone kazoos for $.25. I bought one, being 12 at the time. I got a used tenor for Christmas when I was 16. My parents paid $90 for it - a full-pearl King Super 20 - silver neck and engraved pad cups. Dr. Wray had become my mentor by then and gave me a Berg 90/2 that he had messed-with (refaced). It sure was sweet on that King. What I would give to see that Super 20 now...I traded it on a new Mk VI in '63.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009

I know ..I Know but it was the Big Man Clarence Clemmons....and I still love him.

Buddy Tate

John Coltrane, Micheal Brecker, Grover Washington Jr., David sanborn, David Newman,
    For every one Jazz saxophonist, there are 100 undiscovered

Default i thank you ace

I was a piano player but heard ace cannon play tuff
    i switched immediately
    i play selmers and cannonballs
    been playing now for 45 years
    put two sons through college and made a good living and have never had to ask "do you want fries with that"

thank you ace

The first artist whose albums I really got into was Zoot Sims. Any live (decent) solo saxophonist inspires me to play, but, to my flawed memory, Sonny Rollins live was the first to make me moist (figure of speech).

My father, Max Bishop, of course.

He's been blowin for years down East Texas way.
    I expect I took way to many years off to ever get as good as he is,
    but it gives me something to aim for.

mark

Forum Contributor 2010
    Distinguished SOTW Member

What artist? Vasari, of course, and his great painting "The Temptation of St. Jerome." This masterpiece first let me know what GAS is all about:

Forum Contributor 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Reedsplinter
    What artist? Vasari, of course, and his great painting "The Temptation of St. Jerome." This masterpiece first let me know what GAS is all about:
    Oops: I didn't get the image in. This is how I feel when I think about, oh, Amma mouthpieces, Maruone saxellos, etc. etc. etc. :
    Last edited by Reedsplinter; 09-13-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Forum Contributor 2014

Curtis Ousley, aka King Curtis. When I was growing up in NYC, he did an amazing number of sax solos on doo-wop and rock hits - a fact which I didn't know until well after starting on sax. I started playing music in a public school program in 7th grade, and the teacher said I could play either trombone or trumpet. So I started on trumpet and never got to the saxophone until many years later. Well, thank you King, wherever you are.

of course, bird and trane! but both my dad and i love cannonball adderley's sound. He's the man! i remember the first time i heard sanborn's cd Timeagain i wanted to go straight home and just play. thats a great cd.
    YAS-875 EXB, YTS-82ZB, YSS-475II, Trevor James flute, Selmer clarinet
    Music technology major/jazz minor

If we are talking very early influence it must be Plas Johnson playing the Pink Panther Theme... :-)

Otherwise Jan Garbarek on Ravi Shankar's album "Songs for Everyone"

Bird was the first touching my nerves back in the sixties when all my buddies were fancying the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. It was instant combustion!

Next (altogether with Miles) I found John Coltrane.

Almost at the same period I started listening to Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp, Steve Lacy and Frank Wright. Despite not being a saxophonist I have to mention Don Cherry as an influential milestone.

Then I discovered the others, like Gordon, Webster, Lester, Hawkins, Hodges, Carney, …

Finally I got more involved on listening seriously to other saxophonists (that in a biased way I rejected at first because they were not black or American) like Peter Brötzmann, Evan parker, Paul Dunmall or Evan Dean.

Now:
    “It's always been a gift with me, hearing music the way I do. I don't know where it comes from, it's just there and I don't question it.” (Miles Davis)
    ... Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better! (Samuel Beckett, "Worstward Ho", 1983)

My father did it

Thumbs up

That's wasreally a great thing. Good for you, and most likely for your father too!
    ... Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better! (Samuel Beckett, "Worstward Ho", 1983)

Grover Washington made me wanna start. (age 10)

Kenny Garrett made me pick it back up. (age 30)

Dexter Gordon inspires me to keep going.

Kirk Whalum won't let me stop.

Datsaxguy

Some guy playing in a trio in the pub in our home town when I was 10 made me first take notice of the sax.

The next sax player I heard was an album by King Curtis, followed by a Boots album, and then a Billy Vaughan album. After I got my first alto, I got on to Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Dex and the list goes on.

Boots!
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Alto- Selmer Super Balanced Action
    Tenor- Selmer Serie II
    Baritone- King Zypher

Sal Nestico on the album "Woody's Winners"
    HE STILL IS THE BEST BIG BAND TENOR SOLOIST OF ALL-TIME

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast