Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Sax player on "You can leave your hat on"???

whos playin sax on joe cockers you can leave your hat on????

I think it was Andrew Love, he also worked with Sam & Dave, Wilson Picket, Duane Allman, Albert King, Robert Cray etc. the list goes on….

The only credit on Joe Cocker's "Cocker" album for "You Can Leave
    Your Hat On" is for "Horns". Rather generic term. Steve Madaio, Joel
    Peskin, Dick "Slide" Hyde.

I think it was Clarence Clemons.

Distinguished SOTW Researcher Frank D's Avatar

I think it was Joel Peskin. Maybe Jon L can confirm this for us.

wow, i stumped everyone huh? I dont think its clarence. has a similiar tone to clarence, but, much more rhythmic than him.
    whoever it is, i must say, its my opinion that its one of the greatest rock n roll sax solos of all time. Jon L....who is this?lol

According to the Allmusic Guide there are two players actually credited as playing saxophone rather than just horn and they are Andrew Love & Mel Collins, Mel Collins has done a lot of work with Rock groups like Bad Company. Dire Straits, Alan Parsons, Camel etc… And of course the Allmusic Guide is not infallible… but that solo just sounded more like Andrew Love to me, but if anybody knows I’m sure JL will ;-)

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Sorry but I can't help you on that one since my book only deals with Top 40 hits. I will download it and take a listen and get back with you if I can find it.

Considering some of the following songs, I would tend to go with Peskin based on the tone because of what he did on the Taylor hit but can't say for sure because a lot of horn players will change their style to compliment the song or request of the producer. It does not sound like Andrew. He does not generally push that hard. The only Collins song that I am familar with does not have a real pushing long tone style with growl. Tunes to consider;

MISS YOU-ROLLING STONES- MEL COLLINS- TENOR

TAKING IT TO THE STREETS-THE DOOBIE BROTHERS- ANDREW WHITE- TENOR

DANCE HALL DAYS-WANG CHUNG- MEL COLLINS- ALTO SOLO with SAX SECTION

DON’T ANSWER ME-ALAN PARSONS PROJECT- MEL COLLINS- TENOR

KOKOMO-BEACH BOYS- JOEL C. PESKIN- ALTO

ROLL WITH IT-STEVE WINWOOD- ANDREW LOVE TENOR

WITH EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART-TAYLOR DAYNE -JOEL C. PESKIN TENOR

It could be Clarence if the credits named him but he tends to have a little darker tone when he plays hard. But then, the EQ can change all of that. Not sure on this one but it is a real good rock tenor sound.

Distinguished SOTW Researcher Frank D's Avatar

Jeez, we've stumped the expert. I really can't see (hear) it being Clarence, just isn't his tone or style.

Thanks Frank but I'm no expert ...I had no clue who 90% of the players were before I started the book project two years ago. And with the electronics of the recording process it can be misleading at times.

I do agree with you regarding Clarence now that I have listened to the solo a couple of times so it will be interesting if anyone does confirm the name.

I found it. I found it. before i reveal the answer, for fun, everyone take 1 guess who they think it is. Heres a hint: He is in the list that JL wrote on this topic.

My vote is for Peskin.

Bio from "The History of Top 40 Saxophone Solos-1955-1998"

JOEL C. PESKIN

Joel Peskin started playing the clarinet at the age of nine in Brooklyn, New York. He is a graduate of the High School of the Performing Arts, made famous in the movie Fame. He later studied saxophone with teacher Joseph Allard of the Juilliard School of Music and was a protege and very close friend of saxophonist Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Peskin is also considered to be one of the world’s foremost EWI (Electronic Woodwind Instrument) players.

He co-lead his own jazz quintet, the New York Jazz Ensemble, around New York for several years. In late 1968 Peskin moved to Los Angeles and joined the Beach Boys touring with them for five years, leading their horn section, and as featured soloist. In the late 1970s Peskin toured with singer Shawn Phillips, Jerry LaCroix, and Doc Severinsen’s group Xebron.
    Other artists with whom Peskin has recorded include: Barbra Streisand (including 1994 tour & HBO TV special), Natalie Cole, Kim Carnes, Stevie Wonder, Frank Zappa, Dr.John, Marvin Gaye (“Midnite Love”), Smokey Robinson (“Being with You”), Joe Cocker (“You Can Leave Your Hat On”) Beach Boys (“Kokomo”), and Taylor Dayne (“With Every Beat of My Heart”).

TV productions on which Peskin has worked include: (TV) Entertainment Tonight (original alto sax theme), 65th Academy Awards, Comic Relief, The Emmies, Knots Landing, The Simpsons, Murder She Wrote, Star Trek, Spenser, Home Improvement, Matlock, and countless others. (Movies) Ace Ventura 1 & 2, Sneakers (playing with Branford Marsalis), Mambo Kings, When Harry Met Sally, Above the Law, The Hard Way, Married to the Mob, Naked Guns 1, 2, & 3, Space Jam, Police Academy, Sabrina, The Little Mermaid, Perfect, Loaded Weapon, Spy Hard, A League of their Own, First Wives’ Club, Forest Gump, Hercules, Conspiracy Theory,George of the Jungle, McHale’s Navy, Nothing To Lose.

In 2000, Peskin shot three national Honda commercials playing the baritone sax on camera, and toured Japan with Joe Sample’s Soul Committee featuring drummer Steve Gadd, trumpeter Oscar Brashear. He also scored the music for a TV pilot for Dreamworks TV.

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

He also used to post here on occasion, (not sure if this board or the old forum, and I can't remember his handle) but if memory serves it was during one of what I call the "dark" periods, so we haven't seen him for a while.

(my only complaint about the track in question is I wantthe sax higher in the mix, but then I think that all the time )

Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Artist In Residence Tim Price's Avatar

[quote
    [b] JOEL C. PESKIN[/

Without a doubt Joel Peskin is one hulluva musician...
    Peskin played more styles...and was and remains to be one of the most interesting studio cats in existance.
    I used to run into him @naam shows a bunch- and really loved rappin' to him.
    He was also big friends with Roland Kirk as a young man in NyC-In his youth.
    Musicians like this are really inspiring to me.
    I know Peskin played FREE JAZZ in NyC...and was really on THAT scene before movin' to L.A. for more commercial work/$$$
    I really love THIS solo he wailin and screaming his buns off.

Oh yea, he _WAS_on this forum but ONLY to fix some ninny troll that was using his name.
    SAD, cuz' we'd get way more guys like Peskin etc if there was a lil' more decorum, if ya get my drift.
    OTHER THAN THAT... I wish Peskin would record as a leader...he's fantastic.