Sax on the Web Forum banner

late 1985 tenor SN: 8223XX - neck is SHOT. Looking for suggestions

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  goodsax 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Still playing my Selmer USA tenor I got back in high school. Was seriously thinking of replacing it with a Yamaha unlaquered Custom Z but since lots of you guys say the USA ones are pretty decent horns (I always liked the thing, but [sigh] felt ummm, diminished next to my VI playing friends.. Not anymore of course - high school's a tough time...), I'm thinking a new neck might prove wonders...

I figure rather than laying out the bread for the Z, it'd be best to first try replacing the USA's neck since it's pretty well shot with the total bend down and rebend back (creating a nice crease on both sides) that happened years ago.

So, what neck should I try? Will any Selmer neck or 3rd party neck for a Selmer fit this? Any specific brand/model I should focus on?

I know about Barone and Ponzol's stuff. Since my horn is 20 years old, will any of this stuff even fit?

#2 ·
FWIW, I had a Ponzol gold-plated neck that fit my Selmer SA80 Serie I tenor like a glove with very little adjustment necessary, and that sax was about 15-20 years old. It was an excellent neck, but my original SA80 neck was in good shape, so I decided to hang with the OEM and sell the Ponzol.

#4 ·
Keith Ridenhour is selling a Selmer USA neck on SOTW... This might solve your problem...

#5 ·
Also I'd give the YTS-82Z a blow anyhow, just to see how you like them compared to your horn. Couldn't hurt. Well it could hurt your bank account if you wind up loving it ;) They are fine horns and are worth a try for anybody looking for a great horn that's a lot cheaper than most professional level alternatives.

#7 ·
If you're still looking for a Selmer USA tenor neck, I have one that's too big for my Vito Beaugnier tenor. It's like new and I'll let it go for a very reasonable price, less than I paid for it.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.