P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Tuner for Saxophone?

Nominated Post Best Tuner for Saxophone?

What do you all think is the best tuner for the sax? Yamaha TD-1 looks pretty compact, but are there better ones?

Is there some ideal one that combines both tuner and metronome together?

What's your take on:

1) Best pure tuner

2) Best combination tuner/metronome

Thanks in advance!

I use a Korg CA-30, but I've never compared it to any others, so I can't say it's the best. It does seem to work, though--it tells me whether or not I'm in tune. Of course, I always am. Hey, I saw that snickering... that does not mean the tuner doesn't work!

I have a separate Korg digital metronome, too, but I forget which model (and I don't think they make that exact model any more). What I like about the metronome is the volume control. You can even turn it to zero and see the tempo on a light that flashes. I've used that feature a couple of times during concerts to make sure we didn't start a certain tune too fast or too slow--I put the metronome on my music stand where the audience couldn't see it. I mean, you'd lose a lot of respect from your audience with the tick-tock thing, but if you start "Blue Horizon" too slow or too fast, you're dead.
    Last edited by mcudahy; 11-14-2006 at 08:57 PM.

i second the korg CA 30

Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008 saxmanglen's Avatar

Tuner? We need a tuner? I thought they were tuned at the factory and then welded permanently.

PS: I use a Korg CA20 that was the model before the CA30.

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

http://www.facebook.com/UnfilteredJazz

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxmanglen

Another satisfied Korg ca-30 user here.

I had one of those cheapo tuner/metronomes before (cherub something or other). What I like about the Korg compared to the cherub is that there is an electronic needle that shows you exactly how far from "in tune" you are. The other tuner had a series of red and green lights so unless you were in tune you weren't sure if you were 20 cents out or 10. It also seemed pretty wonky in that I would be holding a note steady and the tuner would be wildly swinging from C# to G to Bb. The Korg seems to pick up the notes much more consistently.
    "If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

Got a yam something or other - TD1? - transposing chromatic seven octave range, neat clever effective piece of kit.

Have also a Korg CA10(?) which works very well and if I hadn't misplaced it, I'd not have bought the yam...
    The only useful metric is the width of the grin.
    :-)

Distinguished SOTW Member G-dawg's Avatar

Best tuner - your ear.

When purchasing an "external" tuner, look for one that can also generate pitch. You have to be able to hear and adjust as you play, not just see it.

My 2 cents...

I recently bought the Korg TM-40 tuner metronome. The tuner's pretty sensitive. It picks up the refrigerator hum from across the room and tells me it's out of tune Actually the stability is pretty fair.

It lacks a transpose function, but that hasn't really been a problem so far - I usually know what note I'm fingering. I may play out of tune, but not a semitone off!

The metronome is too quiet. It does have a headphone jack. I haven't really used the metronome yet. I prefer to play along with recordings I have of the whole band rehearsing together.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Question

I carry around a Sabine MT9000 metronome/tuner in my case.

I'm not exactly clear what this thing does. Usually, it blinks green when it's happy, orange when it's sad, and red when angry. It also has this little LCD needle that points toward the person it likes best. Straight up mean it's pointing at me.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

My daughter's Korg TM-40 beats my CA-30 hands-down -- because it's a 2-in-one tuner/metronome, but I have to carry around the MA-30 as well. Actually though, my vote is for the Petersen VSAM, or any other higher-end Petersen tuner maybe? Generally the problem is these cheap things aren't loud enough.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2007 Morry's Avatar

The little CA30 works and is fairly cheap. However, when we gig everyone just tunes to the keyboard, so I rarely need one.
    JK SX90R Gold Lacquer over Nickel Alto
    JK SX90R Clear Lacquer Tenor

Current band:
    www.horndogsband.com
    www.facebook.com/horndogsband
    www.myspace.com/horndogsband

Take the Way-Back Machine to the 80's:
    www.myspace.com/cornerstonebandmusic

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

I'm using a Korg CA-40 with an external plug-in microphone. I love the plug-in feature and attach the mic down on the rods just below the Eb key. The only thing I don't care for is the LCD display which can be hard to see at times.

One major recommendation: Get a model that takes conventional (AA or AAA) batteries. My earlier Yamaha cost about $10 at battery change time.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist king koeller's Avatar

If it's made by Korg it's going to be good!
    They wrote the book on personal tuners.
    Remember, a tuner is not going to replace your ears ability to play in tune. Playing in tune is an acquired skill, that takes years of mastery.
    Listen...
    I mean really listen, to how high or low you sound in relation to all those around you.
    Don't have the attitude that "I'm right they're wrong", be willing to adjust, even if you think you're the one whose right. If it's off, it needs to be corrected.
    Pitch sensitivity will come more easily if you work at it all the time.
    A tuner is a great tool, but your ear is the real tuner.
    Last edited by king koeller; 11-15-2006 at 04:02 AM.
    When you can't control the wind, adjust your sails!
    Alto:Selmer Mark VI #110***, Morgan Vintage 7M .080",Soprano Conn Curved, Morgan Jazz 7M
    Tenor:Selmer SBA #50***, Morgan Jazz 9M .110"
    Vandoren Java 3.5 for both horns...

Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008 saxmanglen's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by king koeller
    Listen...
    I mean really listen, to how high or low you sound in relation to all those around you.
    Don't have the attitude that "I'm right their wrong", be willing to adjust, even if you think you're the one whose right. If it's off, it needs to be corrected.
    Pitch sensitivity will come more easily if you work at it all the time.
    A tuner is a great tool, but your ear is the real tuner.
    This is soooooooooooo true. If your playing spot on and the secion is actually flat, guess who is playing out of tune?

I play tenor next to an older gentleman playing lead alto. He's got poor high frequency hearing (I should know, I've tested him and fit him with hearing aids) and almost always plays flat. Now that I know, I'll use the Korg to check my relative tuning but know I'll have to pull out slightly to match where Jack (lead alto) puts it. Fortunately, I can "hear" when I get to his pitch.

Nice points KING!

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

http://www.facebook.com/UnfilteredJazz

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxmanglen

Distinguished SOTW Member

I also use the Korg tuner and Korg metronome. Not that this was the original poster's intent...but for discussion of GAS purposes I must say that I cannot possibly see how buying a better tuner or metronome would improve anyone's intonation or time. That kind of thinking makes mouthpiece GAS look downright practical...

I bought a Boss tuner/metronome for my daughter. (TU-80) The tuner is great, but I can't hear the metronome. What's a good tuner/metronome with at least the volume of my 35 year old Seth Thomas. Thanks

E-mail problem

Quote Originally Posted by saxmanglen
    Tuner? We need a tuner? I thought they were tuned at the factory and then welded permanently.

PS: I use a Korg CA20 that was the model before the CA30.

Yeah, my horns were in tune when I bought them..... Thats what I was told!!!! Are you saying they're not...Oh lordy

Default Best Tuner for Saxophone

I am new to music, never mind the sax and came across this thread in researching tuners.

It seems Korg is a reputable manufacturer, however on visiting their website and selecting woodwind tuners neither the TM40 or CA 40, mentioned here, are highlighted as appropriate tuners.

Can anyone help with an explanation?

Z

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

Default Re: Best Tuner for Saxophone?

A friend of mine [bass player] had one of these tuners that clip onto the instrument, when i used it on the sax , it clipped onto the neck.
    You could look straight at it,and it gave you the exact pitch, or of course what pitch you had and whether you were flat or sharp!.
    Came up something like this when you looked at it.
    So if i tune to A"

< A > IN TUNE <<< A > BIT FLAT < A >>> BIT SHARP.

It was actually quite accurate, and i liked the ease of use and practicality, i cant remember the name but i will forward it on when i get it.
    I think he said they were about 40/50£, so although not cheap a good investment, the korgs i like as already mentioned.
    But in bands i prefer to tune to the rhythm section.
    bs gunning

Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul Face Ache Mike's Avatar

Default Re: Best Tuner for Saxophone?

I use one of these:

If only that would transpose it would be perfect.

On my PC I use www.aptuner.com

You can set it up to transpose:

Eb > Note presets - C#3-A5 - Tuning settings/Select transpose (+3) Eb
    Bb > Note presets - G#2-E5 - Tuning settings/Select transpose (+10) Bb

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast