P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southpaw Sax

Content Expert/Distinguished SOTW Member LaPorte's Avatar

Default Re: Southpaw Sax

Couturier straight soprano > Claude Lakey 7* > Vandoren java / marca jazz 2.0
    Couturier alto > Jody Jazz esp 8 > m.a.r.c.a. jazz 2.0
    Couturier tenor> Jody Jazz esp 7* > m.a.r.c.a jazz 2.5

"Why would I play on an ordinary, modern horn if it doesn't bring any special character to the music?" Al Mc Lean

Quote Originally Posted by warp x View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mope View Post
    Does anyone make a left handed sax?

Is that real?
    I've no clue that it might not be real.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/SAXOPHONE-SUPERIO...ht_2593wt_1167

"Why would I play on an ordinary, modern horn if it doesn't bring any special character to the music?" Al Mc Lean

Does anybody like to hear a TIMIS SUPERIOR ?

http://www.trilulilu.ro/marius_steaua88/1e145c46311bb7

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Wanted to critique that, but couldn't find the right left-handed compliment...

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAXISMYAXE View Post
    shoot guns... utilizing both my left and right hands. It is usually much more trouble not to adapt to a semi-right handed, or at least ambidextrous, orientation.
    I'm sure it is, if you don't particularly care for hot shell casings ejecting onto your forearms. Obviously with a revolver it's no problem, but anything else will eject the spent shells to the right.

Interesting note: Phil Mickelson, nicknamed "Lefty", is actually right-handed. He was induced to play left-handed clubs by a teacher that thought his short game would improve if he led his swings with the dominant hand. Apparently it worked!

A mirror-imaged sax would be excellent for the right hand in the "two horns at once" trick.
    SAX ENSEMBLES (quartet, trio, sextet, and more): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Wanted to critique that, but couldn't find the right left-handed compliment...
    Oh, I see! Cheers!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

I actually would be very interested in trying out a horn like that. Not because I'm left handed or anything... but just to see how long it would take to get used to.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    I actually would be very interested in trying out a horn like that. Not because I'm left handed or anything... but just to see how long it would take to get used to.
    You would get used to it a lot faster than you'd think, I guess.

Lefties!

As a left hander myself I have an interest in how other lefties perceive their difference. Also as a Psychotherapist with serious psychology interests it may surprise many of you that it is now accepted that left handed folk often are more creative. This is as a result of the different use of their brains. Our brains are "sided" and usually it is as simple as one side emotion(LH) one side language(RH). However us lefties have to make up for the needs of our left handedness and this leads to a slightly different brain development. Historically many of the great figures in world history are left handed, also they are known to be creative and along with that creativity there is a fine line separating mental health illnesses such as schizophrenia and bi-polar. It is a fascinating area. Personally I like being left handed along with the other 10% of the population. I have to adapt to a right handed world and thus become more ambidextrous. By the way I am not saying I am clever, I just think it, no proof whatsoever!! Think of people you know who are creative and you will be surprised how many are lefties.

Now, has anyone tried a left handed recorder?

iam thinking about buying my first sax.. my problem is my left hand is stiff due to accident and broke a few bones in hand.
    i play guitar left hand as all the fast stuff like chords lead ect is done with right so theres no problem there. with the sax it seems most of the playing is done with left hand while the right hand does the bass notes and this is putting me off buying a sax... my question is>> is there such thing as a left handed sax? jacko

Distinguished SOTW Technician Doc Frazier's Avatar

we had a King alto and some clarinets years ago in for restorations that were built backwards. I wish I could have bought them.
    Doc Frazier
    www.JandJWoodwinds.com
    1-866-996-6394

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123