P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Conn 22M tenor

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

Default Conn 22M tenor

Hi

I searched and found no information on this model - Conn 22M. The seller sayd it was made in the USA, I'm trying to find out when. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about this model, how does it compare with other Conn models, is it worth anything at all?

Thanks!

My son has been playing on one of these that they found at the school (that's why I saw your thread, trying to find some info on them myself). It is a heavy sax. seems to be of good quality and it sounds ok, tho it has a few leaks (not bad, just sounds a little "airy") in the lower octave notes...but that is probably from needing a repad more than anything else.
    I can't tell you how it compares to other conns tho, I am sorry (I was hoping to find that information, as well)...my son just recently took up tenor sax and although I am a major fan of the tenor (was tickled pink he picked one of my fave instruments w/o me plodding him to do so) I do not play tenor myself. I do play clarinet tho, and like I said, I am a big fan of tenor sax, so I know what a good sound is and what isn't. This horn sounds pretty nice even tho it is dented and needs a repad, so I can imagine with some tlc it would be an amazing horn. If it were worth something, I would try and buy it from the school to fix it up...but I can't find any information on this model to merit that choice YET.

It does say "made in USA" under the serial number on the Conn 22m that my son is borrowing from the school. It also says "USA" under the word "Conn" on the bell. The serial # is 796010

Hope this helps.

*~Etherealgurl~*
    "I don't take good pictures coz I have the kind of beauty that moves." ~Ani Difranco

Buescher TT alto + Barone Jazz HR AND Buescher Big B Aristocrat tenor + Morgan Jazz L
    Conn 12M baritone + Erik Greiffenhagen custom HR

Talking

thanks pinnman! I had found that site once before and I've been searching for it for days now!!!

*~Etherealgurl~*
    "I don't take good pictures coz I have the kind of beauty that moves." ~Ani Difranco

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009 honkytone's Avatar

The 22M definitely is not a 1959 horn. Their serial numbers jumped around in the '80s and early '90s, which is when that horn was made. I'd be interested in knowing if it has rolled tone holes. Some from this vintage seem to, while others don't.