P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Chinese sax

Default Chinese sax

Hi every body.

about the question are chinese sax worth the price?

I had the oportunity to try one this week.

I am living in gabon and it is really hard to find instruments here. Most of the time you have to buy the goods in France and then bring them back here. But I found a shop in which you could find some electronic deviceds and one day one trumpet. I asked for an euphonium for me and an alto sax for a friend who wanted to start saxophone.

We paid 250 000FCFA (=380 EUR=305USD) for each instrument shipped by DHL from singapore including local taxes (54% of the value including freight costs) and the margin of the shop.

The saxophone was in a cheap black plastic case,good looking but very fragile, nevertheless the sax is well protected inside.
    The sax sems a bit heavy compared to my YAS23 the finition is ok but the key seams a bit thick.

Now lets try it!

the fist time I tried it with the mouthpiece and reeve include in the box : really hard to blow, nearly impossible to make a sound with the mouthpiece alone!! The second day I came back with my selmer mpc I could make sounds but seamingly there was a problem of octave key. after small adjusment everything was OK and I was able to play all the notes but quite hard to blow, it really need lots of pressure. The sound was not really good maybe something between the sax and oboe sound but acceptable I would say.

Then I retried the chinese mouthpiece but with a vandoren traditionnelle 2.5 intead of the unplayable include reeve. Then the sax was really easy to play easy to blow with abetter sound than with my mpc. I have to say that on the particular sax the chinese mouthpiece plays better than my selmer one!! Finally i played with this configuration without problems.

Finally I think that this instrument is a good choice for my friend because first it was the only sax to find here or he would have had to travel to get one, then it is quite easy to play even if the sound is not as good as my Yamaha's but a total learner it is not so bad, last point the price is really low. If in the coming years my friend wants to buy an other one he will have the bases to play and will be in the position to choose a good sax for him but for an other price ;-)

I also start to play my euphonium : easy to play good sound even if I am learning!

I was thinking of buying a baritone sax directly from china (about 850USD FOB) but after this test and according to my experience of saxophone I will not do it. For a good sax player it is to risky to have a bad sounded sax. even if thoses sax are good looking there is huge difference with a student sax from one of the 4 top brands.

hope this review will help
    Soprano Holton Rudy Wiedoeft silver, Super Session G ; Bari Yana B901 Silver, yana ebo6 ; Alto Buescher 400 TH&C unlacquered, Vando V16 A8M.

Good review! FWIW I think there is quite a variation between different chinese saxophones which makes recommendations difficult. I don't know how many saxophone manufacturers are operating in China and who is making decent hornns and who is building wall hangers. All the bizarre chinese marketing hype and stencil brands confuse things even more. I think it would be most helpful for people shopping for a horn to know which manufacturer built your saxophone.
    "Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire"---GKC

for sure we could not generalise the quality of the chinese sax but with no visibility of the brands and or manufacturer name it is really hard to chose.

On the saxo I played it is written something like "Italian bla bla" I could not remember

Chinese manufacturers are working for know brands but with other design and quality controle I hope and not the same price too.

Finally I think that for about 150USD it is the kind on instrument you might play which ever the brand name on the bell is.
    Soprano Holton Rudy Wiedoeft silver, Super Session G ; Bari Yana B901 Silver, yana ebo6 ; Alto Buescher 400 TH&C unlacquered, Vando V16 A8M.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

This kind of stuff is good to know...it seems like (as with all things) some Chinese brands are starting to distiguish themselves a bit.

As for the "unplayable reed" what hardness do you think it was?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician hornfixer's Avatar

The sax sems a bit heavy compared to my YAS23
    Do you still have your YAS 23?
    ** NEW ** MK VI Alto Saxophone Repad on DVD ** NEW **

http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...K:ME:LNLK:MESX