P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your day job?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps
    Well, Harvey was a rather obscure super hero; even for the 70's.
    He had competition too... Hawkman; and that cat was in with the JL.
    Law was the right move for him.
    I was guessing Studebaker Hawk, hero of Just Another Band From LA.
    “If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”
    William Carlos Williams

Associate V.P. for Research at academic medical center.
    Lenny P.
    MK VI Tenor; Yani 800 Stencil Tenor; Bundy II Tenor; Sugal Series III alto; Conn "Chu Berry" alto; Conn C-mel; Prestini Classic Sop; Antigua Winds 590 Sop; Yamaha WX5 Windsynth w/ Turbocharged VL70 tone module; Schreiber & Sohne Bb Clarinet

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW Better late than never bloomer poster child

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    I've been reading this thread and am fascinated with the diversity and level of occupations. I hope more folks contribute.

Simultaneously, I've been noticing several items on the "For Sale/Wanted to Buy" board and have been struck with the flexibility, financially, many of you seem to have acquiring equipment.

I am a full-time musician, yet I have a hard time simply purchasing some items I deem necessary for my trade, yet many of you others can pretty much just run out and buy a new $400.00 mpc or a new horn.* Hmm. It has also struck me that the next time a thread opens up asking if someone should major in music or another profession, I might have a different oulook.

*BTW - it wasn't always that way. I had a pretty long run for a couple of decades where I made pretty good money and never wanted for anything. But this just illustrates the unpredictability of the music profession and the vulnerability some musicians experience.
    Gary, great point. Another interesting thing to think about as well is the opposing sacrifice made by us daytimers who want to play all the time. We all just can't live without things like health insurance and some financial stability for our families. I put plenty of effort into the day gig, but if I could, I'd do the same for music. That's just too much of a giant leap for most of us. The great arts are not well enough paid and that's a shame. You full timers are a brave set. Keep the faith

Was full time marketing and product manager.
    Now: part-time marketing consultant, part-time musician.
    Next year: full-time musician (at least I'll spend full time working at it).
    All part of my master plan.
    "If you make a mistake, you're supposed to go back and make that same mistake, and make something out of it. See, that's how jazz was born--somebody goofed!" - Art Blakey

Quote Originally Posted by tjontheroad
    Gary, great point. Another interesting thing to think about as well is the opposing sacrifice made by us daytimers who want to play all the time. We all just can't live without things like health insurance and some financial stability for our families.
    That's where I am too... And on those days when the highpaying day gig sucks, I often wonder about those choices I made 20 years ago. And then I take my tenor on a break to the woods, shed for an hour and feel better about the world (at least, my world) for a while.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Birkie
    Was full time marketing and product manager.
    Now: part-time marketing consultant, part-time musician.
    Next year: full-time musician (at least I'll spend full time working at it).
    All part of my master plan.
    Previous jobs: industrial engineer, patent engineer, production engineer, mechanical engineer. Currently a software quality engineer at Microsoft.

I'm hoping I can become a musician maybe 10 years from now without having to worry about supporting myself from it.
    Ken

Forum Contributor 2010 DukeCity's Avatar

I have a full-time teaching gig, directing the Jazz Studies program at the University of New Mexico. I also get a chance to do a fair amount of playing, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Quote Originally Posted by tjontheroad
    Gary, great point. Another interesting thing to think about as well is the opposing sacrifice made by us daytimers who want to play all the time. We all just can't live without things like health insurance and some financial stability for our families. I put plenty of effort into the day gig, but if I could, I'd do the same for music. That's just too much of a giant leap for most of us. The great arts are not well enough paid and that's a shame. You full timers are a brave set. Keep the faith
    tjontheroad - you said it well. When I was doing the 'safety engineer' thing, I worked with a Georgia Tech grad who decided to start a band called the Breeze Kings (he plays 'blues harp'). He ended up ditching the engineering career to take the big leap of faith to full-time musician. He's been quite successful at it. So often I think, "Geez, I wish I had the guts to do that." I guess I'm just not a risk-taker.

I am an Avionics Technician.
    I spent a bunch of time on aircraft carriers as an Avionics Tech before I went to Navy Dive School and became a Navy Diver/Explosive Ordinance Disposal Technician.
    But I have mostly just worked on aircraft for the past 25+ years. I cant seem to get enough. Even on a bad day at least I am working on, and flying in, some of the coolest $50 million toys around.

Part-time sales at Kenneth Cole Productions in Stanford.

And I'm heterosexual. I know, it's weird.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist king koeller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCity
    I have a full-time teaching gig, directing the Jazz Studies program at the University of New Mexico. I also get a chance to do a fair amount of playing, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Hey Glenn!
    It's so good to hear how you're doing.
    Glenn and I were at North Texas State University Jazz Studies dept. back in 1983, wow! it was a long time ago!
    I'm still in the Air Force Band after 18.5 years.
    I just completed a 4 year tour in Japan.
    It's been great.
    I'm playing mostly tenor now.
    Take care!
    Grant Koeller
    When you can't control the wind, adjust your sails!
    Alto:Selmer Mark VI #110***, Morgan Vintage 7M .080",Soprano Conn Curved, Morgan Jazz 7M
    Tenor:Selmer SBA #50***, Morgan Jazz 9M .110"
    Vandoren Java 3.5 for both horns...

Distinguished SOTW Columnist king koeller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo_1
    home abortionist

Dude,
    I know you're trying to be funny or shocking or both,

but your answer is really in poor taste!

King Koeller
    When you can't control the wind, adjust your sails!
    Alto:Selmer Mark VI #110***, Morgan Vintage 7M .080",Soprano Conn Curved, Morgan Jazz 7M
    Tenor:Selmer SBA #50***, Morgan Jazz 9M .110"
    Vandoren Java 3.5 for both horns...

Quote Originally Posted by AlistairD
    Solutions Director/Enterprise Architect ...
    Read it a dozen times - still haven't the faintest idea what it means

Default I'm in da biz!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark5047
    I am a computer network consultant specializing in product from Cisco Systems - and actually thats what the 5047 means after my name. (It is my certification number) I hold a certification called a CCIE that means nothing unless you are in the computer networking business, and if you ARE in the bizz it means a lot.
    I does mean something to me, I'm a CCNA, going to be CCNP whenever this year, hoping to get the CCIE one day.
    That will make it more money in my salary so I can buy better reeds, and having more time to play the horn, heheh...

I'm a tech team manager for one of the two biggest ISPs here in Israel, my team provides tech support for business customers. That includes equipment such as Cisco (routers, pixs, switches), firewalls (Checkpoint, Fortigate, etc).
    Hmmm, this looks like a Curriculum Vitae! I better stop now!

Mark, when I saw your name I thought I've just lost the count.
    I've always hear about Selmers being "Mark IV", "Mark V", "Mark VI", "Mark VII", then I see your name "Mark5047" and I went "Darn! how far can you go?"

Ziv
    Thou Shalt Not Covet
    Thy Neighbour's WiFi

Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master.America
    Part-time sales at Kenneth Cole Productions in Stanford.

And I'm heterosexual. I know, it's weird.
    Word...tsk
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zivley
    I'm a tech team manager for one of the two biggest ISPs here in Israel, my team provides tech support for business customers. ........................................................................................

Mark, when I saw your name I thought I've just lost the count.
    I've always hear about Selmers being "Mark IV", "Mark V", "Mark VI", "Mark VII", then I see your name "Mark5047" and I went "Darn! how far can you go?"

Ziv
    They moved Israel over to India? Everytime I call tech support I get somebody in India.

If they make a Mark V I gotta have one.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsday
    I was guessing Studebaker Hawk, hero of Just Another Band From LA.
    Caught that, saintsday

Quote Originally Posted by stitch
    Read it a dozen times - still haven't the faintest idea what it means
    It means you get to use terms like 'Think outside the box' and 'We'll touch base' .............

Angry

Unemployed.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Professor of management at a smallish State university. It doesn't pay as much as the corporate gig I left during my pre-mid-life crisis, but I have a lot more fun now and actually get time to practice.

Now, I just have to figure out how to keep from catching all my students' colds so I can take advantage of all that practice time...

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast