P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: New True Tone Owner

Thumbs up New True Tone Owner

I have just been converted to Buescher and thought everyone may find the following interesting about the gold plated (90% in tact)true tone alto I have just purchased.

1. The serial number is 152xxx which to my calculations puts it around 1924/25?

2. From all accounts these saxophones did not have the alt f key however this one does.

3. I was also under the impression that this horn was too early for snap in pads but it also has snap in's!The snaps are also gold plated.

The intonation is perfect, it does need a few new pads and some springs which you would expect on a horn of this vintage. Any tips on how to replace springs? They are not screw in springs.

I love the sound!!! I have owned quite a few mark 6's over the years as well as new model horns always searching for that sound I had in my head. I never thought about buying a Buescher until recently when I was thinking about just having an old horn to "tinker" with. Man what a surprise! The key mechanism is great, the intonation is spot on and that sweet sweet sound! I am a fully converted Buescher man - I can't believe how much money I wasted over the years on mark 6's!!

Distinguished SOTW Member

Welcome to SOTW. My silver-plated TT alto has serial 153xxx - no front F and no snap-ins, although the last overhaul was at my direction and regular resonators/pads were installed. Great horn alright. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Weren't the snaps around 1921?

Yes, snaps were introduced in 1921 and provision was made for the alt top F key around 1923 when it was an optional extra feature and was most probably standard fixture around 1925-26
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

I also gave up a Selmer in favor of a True Tone.
    If you can, post pictures. I'm sure the folks here would appreciate that.

My TT alto - 138K - is gold plated. No front F and the snaps have gone, but it is still a great sax. Looks great, too.
    Buescher TT alto + Barone Jazz HR AND Buescher Big B Aristocrat tenor + Morgan Jazz L
    Conn 12M baritone + Erik Greiffenhagen custom HR

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by big kev
    I never thought about buying a Buescher until recently when I was thinking about just having an old horn to "tinker" with. Man what a surprise! The key mechanism is great, the intonation is spot on and that sweet sweet sound! I am a fully converted Buescher man - I can't believe how much money I wasted over the years on mark 6's!!
    I'm curious how you chose a TT to tinker with. They do have a very special sound.
    “If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”
    William Carlos Williams

Default here are some pics for everyone -

also has anyone got some tips on setting key heights