SAXQUEST
    Owner: Mark & Elke Overton
    Phone Number: (314) 776-6416
    Email
    Specialities: Woodwind repairs, new and vintage horns
    Tech: Saxquest and Tenor Madness
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Saxquest is a very reputable dealer in the U.S. - Mark Overton is pretty universally regarded as a good dealer on this forum. I've purchased a bari and other accessories from them with not problems, and they were the quickest at shipping. I'm sure that this was just an honest (albeit baffling) mistake. Call them -- I'd be shocked if they didn't make it right.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you had bought it straight from the site. Saxquest itself is very reputable - I have no experiences with their classifieds system, however. I do agree that you are generally safer dealing with the actual vintage dealers - Saxquest, WorldWideSax, and Junkdude to name a few - although they cost more, you get what you pay for, in my book. I know that's no consolation now. Maybe Saxquest can at least penalize or ban this seller from their classifieds or something. And there's always hope that the seller made an honest mistake...

It's been recently discussed here ("Do we need new rules in the Marketplace?") that you are better off buying from a known person at SotW than the classifieds at Saxquest. Maybe Mark Overton will rethink his policy of providing an unmoderated service when people start using it as a scam vehicle. Sorry for your misfortune.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP GAS_Wyo's Avatar

Well stated G. Another place that's rotten to the core for scams is Craig's List.

So, is buying a horn off craigslist a bad idea? This guy was selling a used Martin for 650. I've been in contact w/ him. It pretty needs all the padding, resnators and rods put back on. I'm just not sure, cause it would prrbably cost the price of an overhaul.
    "Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." Victor Hugo

Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP GAS_Wyo's Avatar

It depends on what you want to put into getting a good horn. You can salvage almost anything, but you may end up wth $1500 to $2000 in a horn if you're not careful.

Is this horn local to your area? If so, go look at it.

Unfortunately, no. He'd have to ship it. I dont mind paying the money for the shipping and repairs, considering its dirt cheap. Depending on what it looks like, I might re-lacquer at some point. But I've always heard one's not supposed to do that. I dunno...
    "Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." Victor Hugo

Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member Swampcabbage's Avatar

Those classifieds are horrible. I was stung on one once. Just harass the seller as long as you can and then let go.

Isn't this a matter for the police?

Distinguished SOTW Member

MJ: I doubt if law enforcement would touch a case like these - they'd immediately claim no-crime/civil-matter, unless the "victim" could prove an actual fraud.

The OTHER complicating factor would be jurisdiction. Even if an actual fraud could be proven, who prosecutes? Most prosecutors will not spend the money for an extradition unless you're talking a MAJOR felony crime. Taking it federal would be even less successful. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

On the other hand, we can hope that this was a mix-up on the part of an honest but confused seller that was selling more than one item and got the sales mixed up. If this were an absolute fraud, I'd be surprised for the seller to send a pro level clarinet - I'd think that he'd have your money and you'd receive nothing.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Fred: I agree - I saw nothing of a criminal nature in the situation described by Doyle, ESPECIALLY since he has not yet posted what results, if any, developed from contacting the seller.

All I was addressing was the question posted about turning a failed classified-ad deal over to the police.

The probable-mistaken shipping of a pro-level clarinet tells me a mistake was made. I can't discuss the other deals mentioned here - not that I'd want to in the first place. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doyle
    Hi
    (too make matters worse I also got stung for £122 for import duty)
    Very sorry to hear about the wrong horn being sent, but you aren't really "stung" on import duty. It's quite normal when buying goods from abroad, You have to accept it. (probably it was also including VAT which you'd pay anyway in th UK). I hope you can get this resolved, I'd always thought of Saxquest as a very reputable dealer, I'm sure it will be sorted.

Default Craigslist

Craigslist is just a Internet version of Newspaper classifieds. I don't know if I would recomend buying something that would require shipping, due to all the scams that could happen. That site is NOT Ebay, doubtful what they will do anyway. It is very much buy and sell at your own risk. If you wish saxymaestra13 to take that risk it is your money. Personally I would buy off the internet from a reputable dealer here, maybe a few other sites. I purchased a horn off of ebay. And luckly did not get hit with a big fixing fee. I would recomend takeing a look at USA Horn. I personally have never bought anything from them. But the prices seem in you range. I would take a look at them.

Carbs

I can understand why you are upset, and I am willing to bet that many people can understand too. I wish you the best of luck about the Super 20

I would suggest when buying from "classifieds" of any stripe to try and use an intermediary or just pass on the deal. I traded a camera for a sax but his brother was luckily in Toronto. I was able to hand off the camera for the sax... also luckily I made sure that I got a fair deal when I was able to inspect the sax.. which of course needed much work and represented much less value than the camera I was trading ... BUYER BEWARE !!
    http://ecommons.net/~frax/sax/ old website up for renewal
    http://fraser-sax.blogspot.ca/ NEWS from the Rescue Sax Workshop
    416 994 7110 --- leave a text or voice message I will call you back at my expense, no problem !