Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Question Artemis MKII, Alto

Hi,

I just recived a new condition (sold as second hand, but is brand new, pads new, not 1 scratch) Artemis MKII Alto, Its the black laquered model, MKII

Ive read some of the previous threads about this sax and it doesnt look like many like it,

Ive played clarinet and bassoon to about grade 6 standard, I bought this as a "trevor james" and understand that this is made by them?? (a lower range?) I paid £250 is this a reasonable price for this horn second hand (new condition) ??.

Would this horn be acceptable to learn and play a bit in bands and ensambles?

Your opinions on this would be much appriciated as i dont really know what to do with it!

Thanks
    Last edited by biosbill; 09-30-2006 at 09:07 PM.

Artemis are fine.

They are made to order by Trevor James in Taiwan and are a student line, but there's nothing wrong with them. My first soprano was an Artemis and I'm talking years ago. There was nothing wrong with that horn either.

Realistically, your Artemis is all the horn most of us would ever really need, but not necessarilly settle for. It will take you to grade 8, but you will have contracted badge snobbery long before then and bought a top of the ranger

I'm no snob, but a neighbour's child has one of those and the metal is so soft it won't stay in regulation. Maybe if treated very carefully, it will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by singlereed
    I'm no snob, but a neighbour's child has one of those and the metal is so soft it won't stay in regulation. Maybe if treated very carefully, it will serve you well.
    Is your neighbours child driving in nails with it ? I was 17 Stone when I had my Artemis sop, and it never saw a tech in the time that I owned it. It played perfectly in tune with my 'then' tutor's Selmer 80 II Tenor. I'm talking 11 years ago.

It is an alto and as far as I know he doesn't abuse it. His mum brought it to me to ask what was wrong with it as it didn't play properly any more. It was leaking all over the place and it seemed to be due to soft metal, and needed a thorough service, only a few months from new. I also found saw same thing with a Jupiter 500 series. Now, compare that to a student Yamaha, which is pretty well bomb-prooof and therefore much less likely to give you any trouble.