Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default antique Evette and Schaeffer Tenor Sax

Can any of you sax fiends out there tell me something about an old horn I just acquired? It has the following engravings: Buffet Crampon & c. Paris; Evette & Schaeffer Anc' Mon Buffet Crampon & Cie, 18 & 20 Passage du Sel Cerf; made in France LP Paris 18905; and then on the front of the bell, Carl Fischer New York. This horn doesn't even have pearls for the fingers, just brass keypads. Also, there is a key on top of another key - the low D has a small key on top of it which seems to be a Eb trill key. Anythig anyone can tell me about this horn will be appreciated. I don't see a serial #, the 18905 seems more like some kind of postal code, but I don't really know. Thanks, Fred

Fred,

18095 is indeed the serial number. I have a Soprano Sax of this style but a little newer...mine is S/N 29XXX. (I think ?) Also As I recall, mine was made in the mod-1920's so I would assume that yours is a bit older.

You are also correct that the 'D' key has a hole throught the center in order to make an Eb trill key.

I think that there is a good bit of information on these older Buffet / Evette & Shaeffer Saxes on the 'Saxpics' website.

Good luck.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Does it have one or two octave key levers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tharruff
    Fred,

18095 is indeed the serial number. I have a Soprano Sax of this style but a little newer...mine is S/N 29XXX. (I think ?) Also As I recall, mine was made in the mod-1920's so I would assume that yours is a bit older.

You are also correct that the 'D' key has a hole throught the center in order to make an Eb trill key.

I think that there is a good bit of information on these older Buffet / Evette & Shaeffer Saxes on the 'Saxpics' website.

Good luck.
    Yes, the saxpics site led me to another site of Buffet serial numbers that put my horn at 1909. Fred