Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default "Shotblast" finish

anyone own one of the Z w/ the gold matte "Shotblast" process finish?

I've read everything posted here on them, but haven't been able to tell whether this process does anything to the Z sound, and, if so, what....

thanks in advance!

Distinguished SOTW Technician tbone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moontom
    but haven't been able to tell whether this process does anything to the Z sound
    Does changing your shirt effect your singing? Seriously, there are numerous posts on the effects of finish on tone. (search button)

But quite honestly this poor horse has been whipped to death around here!

Here's my take on it, If you like the way a horn looks then test play it. If you also like the way it sounds then buy it. If you don't like both then hang it back up and try another horn!

Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    Does changing your shirt effect your singing?

Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    If you like the way a horn looks then test play it. If you also like the way it sounds then buy it. If you don't like both then hang it back up and try another horn!
    moontom, these are wise words. If you like the way the 82Z plays, then pick the color you like and go with it. It's like buying a car.
    Over the Rainbow (my YouTube debut), The Star-Spangled Banner, Tennessee Waltz, Fields of Gold

A horn is only as good as the person playing it. -- BJK

Default actually

in my case changing a shirt might just help my singing!

as my original post said, I've read about differing finishes here...it is something of a dead horse. at the same time, there's only 1 of these horns in proximity. when I played it, it was a very different beast from my memory of the "regular" z (which I played a year or so ago..this store has no regular z's for an A/B comparison). was wondering whether others had similar experiences, that's all...

Forum Contributor 2007 fballatore's Avatar

Moon -

Well, here's another problem. Another person's experience in playing different horns (mouthpieces, etc) might be totally different than yours. I sold a mouthpiece that I thought was too dark for me recently. The buyer emailed me to thank me, and told me it was just what he was looking for - a bright edgy jazz piece! Same with horns. Only you can tell. If you feel that there are differences between the regular lacquer and the shotblast, then there are. Many others will tell you that there are no differences. Ask yourself the question "Which do I think sounds better and meets my idea of my ideal tone?", and then go for it.

Frank
    "You can play a shoestring if you're sincere." - John Coltrane

"If you can't play in time and in tune the rest doesn't matter." - Keith Ridenhour

Quote Originally Posted by moontom
    when I played it, it was a very different beast from my memory of the "regular" z (which I played a year or so ago..this store has no regular z's for an A/B comparison). was wondering whether others had similar experiences, that's all...
    Your comment is very telling. The brain has VERY short audio memory. To tell you how short, Harmon International (parent company of JBL and Inifinity) has a listening room with a custom-built carousel that rotates speakers into position relatively instantaneously for the best A/B comparison possible (not to mention the custom-electronics involved to have levels set so that the speakers put out the same volume). Compare loudspeakers even a minute apart and the ear can be biased. So to compare two horns played a year apart is illegitimate at best.

There are too many factors that can make two different horns sound different, one of the major ones being the neck. The neck makes a huge difference in how a particular horn sounds and feels. Put the same neck on different horns (same model) and it'll feel like you're playing the same horn. Another factor is of course how "tight" the horn is (how well all the pads seal).

Place on top of that the fact that you're not the player you were a year ago. Assuming you've been practicing during that year, you're much better now and have different expectations of the horn you're playing.

Bottom line: don't expect the finish to make a compelling difference.
    Over the Rainbow (my YouTube debut), The Star-Spangled Banner, Tennessee Waltz, Fields of Gold

A horn is only as good as the person playing it. -- BJK