Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Late 1960's (early Selmer, serial#s 45xxxx) Buescher Aristocrat alto saxes-any good?

Late 1960's (early Selmer years, serial numbers 45xxxx) Buescher Aristocrat alto saxes...any good?

Is this a better prospect than a used, modern student horn?

Distinguished SOTW Member

Yes but not in the same league as the earlier bueschers. They are a very solid built sax
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 64sax
    Many here cite that these aristocrats are almost indistinguishable (apart from superficial markings) from Selmer Bundy's of the same era. I've seen an Aristocrat from about this same time, and the resemblence to the bundy was striking.

As far as "Better", I think the modern student line Yamahas are a bit better instruments, but are typically much more expensive for the same condition.

Thanks, guys.

Default Re: Late 1960's (early Selmer, serial#s 45xxxx) Buescher Aristocrat alto saxes-any go

How about the ones after the 400s, but before the Selmer takeover?
    Serial 361 XXX?
    PB Bare Brass Vintage Tenor - LAW Buzzer/ Morgan 8E
    Buescher Aristocrat Alto - Selmer Soloist-style .83

SOTW Columnist

Default Re: Late 1960's (early Selmer, serial#s 45xxxx) Buescher Aristocrat alto saxes-any go

Quote Originally Posted by 64sax View Post
    That's hard to say. You're far better off going for one of the earlier, real Bueschers. Try one from the 30's or 40's. If you're really trying to save money look for a late '20's True Tone. In good condition these are far superior to any student horn and hold their own with any top-notch "pro horns."

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Twombles62 View Post
    How about the ones after the 400s, but before the Selmer takeover?
    Serial 361 XXX?
    400s were made well past that serial and although they did not have the Top Hat engraving, they can be very good and often overlooked players. Other than the 400s, there were some model 141s close to a 361xxx serial that also play very well.
    “If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”
    William Carlos Williams

Distinguished SOTW Member blackfrancis's Avatar

I started on a post-Selmer Buescher. Not a bad horn and it got me through my first year of college.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bfahle's Avatar

I've got two post-Selmer Buescher tenors, and they seem to have held up to a lot of abuse. One has a major bow-dent, but it is still quite playable. The other I ordered a pad set from MusicMedic, but he only had the Selmer Bundy tenor listed, so on a chance, I ordered that set. I'm not sure how accurate his database would be to an actual Bundy, but for my horn all but two of the pads fit fine. The other two keys matched pads in the set, but there was only one of each, so I had to order two more of what was already in the set. That shows you how close these horns are, because in general a pad set will not move from one horn to another, not even close. For instance only two of the whole pad set would have fit my Pierret tenor. So yes, it is clear that the Bundy is just an evolution of the Buescher Aristocrat, at least post-Selmer buyout.