P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Review: Saxgourmet Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by morgan
    Remind me to laugh when you next break your leg, you callous cold-hearted b*****d.
    Considering I have 7 broken ribs (still healing, but not healed), possibility of lung cancer, a partially collapsed lung, and the possibility of gall bladder surgery, you may laugh, if you wish. It's not like I'll make personal attacks against you, nor have I regarding Goodsen. I'm just reporting.

I'm also not being callous: there started to be complaints about Goodsen's horns, services, etc. posted in various places, then Goodsen and his family started to develop health problems and then Goodsen dropped from posting and reportedly calls made to him would not be returned. However, Goodsen was also reportedly spotted at various conventions, etc. promoting his Unison products.

If I say I have broken ribs and you see me out body surfing, you'd have a bit of a problem with that and point it out as odd, right?

In any event, what I believe Goodsen should have done is come out publicly and say that he had $whatever_problem (supply, health, etc.), apologize profusely and offer to refund anyone's money plus a little extra and/or knock off, say, 10%. If he took everyone's cash deposits and sent it to Unison -- which is a possibility if no horns other than the prototypes were made until cash was available -- he needs (needed) to take responsibility for that and make up for it. Just my opinion. That'd make me want to say, "Goodsen had various issues with $whatever, but he made good on 'em."
    Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my new blog and gallery! Latest article: 09/24/12.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saxpics
    If I say I have broken ribs and you see me out body surfing, you'd have a bit of a problem with that and point it out as odd, right?
    That's funny... I did just that over the summer at the ocean; as well as play league basketball and softball. Not sure just how many competitive summers I have left in me, so I wasn't going to let a cracked rib stand in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by saxpics
    If he took everyone's cash deposits and sent it to Unison...
    And, theoretically, if he didn't, that might explain the distribution problems that occurred. Theoretically, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark5047
    Besides - I think Jerry came on here to say the ebay SG horns are not the "superterrific make you want to sell your mamma to buy it horn", just the run of the mill SG model - I think the model in question is the Model VI gourmet model, (should that be capitalized??) and its not on ebay since I think they are just talking orders at this time...

HEY!! Idea for SG (if it pans out send a check in my name to your favorite charity) Why not sell rights to buy one of these on ebay - you dont have to sell anything except the RIGHT to purchase! They were doing that with the Pontiac Solstice (sorry, non US members - the Solstice is an automobile that generated some excitement that made people want to pay more than list price to purchase, so some capitalists took advantage of this by offering the RIGHT to get their place in line and buy it, but I digress......)

In case you cant read between the lines, I am now pulling my tongue from my cheek and getting ready for work. Y'all have a great day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    There are actually 2 models( the model 6 and the Sax Gourmet model.The ones that are on e-bay are the steve goodson UNISON SAXOPHONES not the L A SAX STEVE GOODSON models.It's uderstandable why it gets kind of comfusing ,with 2 different companies carrying the steve goodson name on their saxes.The guy also claims that his saxes are not LA SAXES,that LA only distributes them (a bit of ungratefull ego,I guess).I tried both their saxes but at the time ,I thought they were actually LA SAXES.I am a fan of the LA SAXES,I think that LA makes a great horn for the low price.I always perceived steve as the guy that looks like the fat blonde woman that ate the cake and the house too,and now wants to eat the town,more like the Godzilla movie.
    TAKE IT HOME, BLUES IN CONCERT B.......AND 1 AND 2 AND.....

Note from Gandalfe: Fixed formatting problem, no text changes.
    Last edited by Gandalfe; 09-21-2006 at 08:06 PM.

SORRY, the model vi "is the Saxgourmet model"the other one is the steve goodson model.See how confusing it can get.The difference between the two is that the vi does not come with the altisimo key nor the high G or the high F#.It is made with a high copper content.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ALVEGASAX
    SORRY, the model vi "is the Saxgourmet model"the other one is the steve goodson model.See how confusing it can get.The difference between the two is that the vi does not come with the altisimo key nor the high G or the high F#.It is made with a high copper content.
    But your "fat blonde woman" quote stands?
    "People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing"
    Florence Foster Jenkins

I just got my Saxgourmet tenor yesterday. I'm lovin' it!

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

Another first-time poster on an SG thread. Who would expect that?

I'm a relative newcomer. I've never heard of Steve Goodson, and you've got me intrigued as to why everyone hates him so much. I gather that in the past he has taken orders for stuff that was never delivered. Sounds like his personal style has p***d any number of you off, as well. I did Google him, though, and kind of like the hair.

Nevertheless, sounds like it actually could be a good sax, and I can't see why it matters where it's made. Probably my underpants come from China, too, and I'm as intimate with them as I am with my sax. WWBW has it listed for $2995 (the sax, not my underpants). I understand they have a liberal return policy, so might be worth checking out. What's to lose?
    Last edited by Doctormyeyes; 09-21-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by retread
    Another first-time poster on an SG thread. Who would expect that?
    He ("voldermort") can't be that stupid surely, he has been caught out so many times
    Returning to playing after a few years off (bad MC Accident)

He's not. AustinTenor is legit. Welcome aboard!
    Blog - LinkedIn - Digg - del.icio.us - GoogleShared - Twitter
    Chris S - SOTW Admin Emeritus

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Cool

You know what, guys? I respect many on this forum and listen to you folks even when I disagree. But, and with all due respect, maybe it's time someone said:
    ENOUGH!

I'm fed up with newbies who have any kind of positive words about anything touched by SG, being "welcomed" with accusations and sarcasm. Don't you think you've made your points by now?

"You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

"YOU WANT THE TRUTH???...YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!"

They weren't kidding when they said "a picture paints a thousand words", were they?!
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

Good point, Gary.

AustinTenor, please let me start again. What do you like most about your new tenor? How does it compare other tenors you've played? What most influenced you to pick the Saxgourmet tenor?

My last horn, a black lacqered Selmer Super 80 SII, was stolen in April. I had gotten a Unison neck for it that was designed by Steve Goodson and was given to me by my teacher, Richard Fenno, who has known Steve for many years.I was very impressed with the way the Unison neck "focused" the sound of my Selmer, and when I needed to get a new horn, I decided to go for the Saxgourmet. Hell, why not? I can afford it. I promise that I'll let you know if I decide I don't like it, but don't hold your breath.

Anybody who doubts my veracity can come hear my band and check out the horn at the "Earful of Texas" Music Festival in Hubbard on Saturday, September 30th. Whatever!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Welcome AustinTenor.
    Is it shown anywhere on the horn where it is made? Rick Fenno came here and said they were made in the PRC. The designer, when dealing with the question in the past, stated that buyers will know where they're made, but wouldn't tell anyone publicly ahead of time. Do you know where they are made, and if so, can you tell us?

Gary,
    You're dead wrong. All first time posters who come here with product reviews should be scrutinized; no matter what the product is or who made it. You have no problem pointing out to newbies that they shouldn't dare bother you with a question when they can search back three years for an answer, so it seems a bit odd that you'd be trying to shelter their sensitivities in this instance.

Grumps,

I haven't taken time to look for any clues as to the horn's point of origin. If it came from China, that doesn't bother me. I never ask a woman her age or where she's from when I'm dancing with her for the first time, I focus on enjoying the dance. Besides, Chinese guys gotta eat, too!

I like the way the horn looks, feels, and plays. Of course, all horns play great when they are brand new, so time will tell, right? Just like with women.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

IMO there's a difference between asking for clarification and an on-going vendetta that blasts anyone caught in the cross-fire right out of the saddle. For the last few months, at least, many reaction to newcomer's pro-SG comments have taken on more flavour of the latter than the former.

Regarding my infamy as the "search-button-guy" anyone familiar with my posts of, perhaps, a year or longer ago will have noticed that I've been milder in the last year, overall, in how I direct redundant questions to existing posts on the same topic.

But the one has nothing to do with the other. I think dispassionate readers who have read the snide comments toward several newbies simply because they had the misfortune to state their honest pro-SG goods opinion, will find more rancour than honest enquiry, and I suggest it might be time to take another look at how this is done (which seems to already be happening).
    Last edited by gary; 09-22-2006 at 10:33 AM.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

FWIW, I think Gary makes a good point. Most of us haven't been harmed in any way by the nameless one. It's just become fashionable to treat anyone, with anything positive to say, regarding the nameless one's horns, as a convicted forum felon.
    The whole topic, along with the G-man, Wynton, and several others, is the forum equivalent of a freeway pile up. Everyone can't help but rubberneck. Myself included.
    Most of us just treat it as the running inside joke that it/he is. Some, lately, have in my own opinion, taken it to the level of a personal crusade. In this, I'm in full agreement with Gary.
    I'm also in agreement with Gary on the fact that his own post wasn't a personal attack on anyone in particular and that he, like an increasing number of us, are mellowing with age, rather than becoming even grumpier. He's not the man he used to be.
    Rather than get personal, let's all go back to having a friendly, funny, open, discussion about the merits, or lack thereof, of the horn/s itself and accept that, like any horn, be it a MK VI or an Amati, there'll always be some who swear by 'em and some who swear at 'em. Let's just not swear at each other. Or do I have to send in SPLIFF MAN to chill you all out?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps
    {SNIP} All first time posters who come here with product reviews should be scrutinized; no matter what the product is or who made it. {/SNIP}
    My very first post here was in support of Alexander Reeds. Tom asked me to come here and post a letter that I'd written to him. The rest, as they say, is history. I'm not disagreeing with you in any way Grumps. No one questioned me when I did that, likely because there wasn't the emotional value that there is with SG. Tom Alexander posts here on occasion, but is not and has never been a columnist, and has never sold any reeds directly to SOTW members (that I know of). Perhaps SG is doing the same thing, knowing that there are many that post here that aren't big fans of him. Could be that if someone likes his horn, he asks them if they'd mind posting a review over here. Could be that it's one of his minions, etc. We don't know. I keep an eye on all threads related to hot topics (Kenny G and Steve Goodson are popular right now), and if something looks suspicious I'll check it out. I won't tell the public at large where exactly someone posts from (as that's against our privacy policy and furthermore highly unethical), but I will make note if it seems suspicious. Suffice it to say that AustinTenor is legit, as the server that he's connecting from would be VERY difficult to forge or mask somehow. Do I think that having a newbie's first post be praising something as 'controversial' as this is a good idea? No. But it's not my call. And I'm not sure that anyone that hasn't been around this merry-go-round a few times would know that SG's such a controversial guy 'round these parts. Also, if memory serves, AustinTenor has been registered for several months, and has simply chosen not to post until now. Should we continue to be skeptical of new posters that seem to come out of the woodwork to praise any product, especially one as 'highly anticipated' as this? Absolutely. But believe me when I tell you all that I check ANY poster that seems suspicious. A large part of my time on the forum is spent looking for these things, checking users that I think might have double identities, researching posting behavior, taking care of reported posts, etc.

Just all of you take a deep breath, I'm on top of it. I love this forum, and I've got it's back. And that goes for all 10,457 (at last count) registered members, including you.

Best,
    Chris S
    Blog - LinkedIn - Digg - del.icio.us - GoogleShared - Twitter
    Chris S - SOTW Admin Emeritus

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast