Sax on the Web Forum banner

Any Song to recommend?

976 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jon Lai 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, usually I play stuff from school, but that's not really what the summer is for, right?

So I'm just wondering, do you guys have anything you can recommend that I can play on my Tenor Sax as leisure? Doens't have to be especially easy or complicated, just want a tune that feels nice and catchy -- I love jazz, by the way ;)

I'd be great if you can also provide a link to where I can download them for free ;)

Thanks guys.

#3 ·
saxymanzach said:
Go buy one of the new "Real Books" in Bb or C if you would like a workout in transposing (which is a good skill to master and not really difficult). You can buy them at a lot of music stores or most places on the web. I think Amazon.com sells them.
Thanks for your reccommendation - anything you know that is free on the web though?

What are these "Real Books" though, are they actually wellknown themes or just scales? Don't really want to be playing the ladder :p

#5 ·
Try doing a little listening. To figure out a tune that way can be very rewarding. If you want to learn from a tenor player I would try Lester Young.The album "Lester Young with The Oscar Peterson Trio" is great and has some really nice standards on it. You can get it at Amazon or probably any store that has a decent jazz selection.

Oh... and after listening and playing for a while you might decide that you want to transcribe the tune... also very helpful...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.