Sax on the Web Forum banner

Tubax contrabass on ebay

16K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Rackety Sax 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It is really weird how things like this come up for sale...always at the time I am paying off something...never at the time I have some savings:x

#5 ·
I wonder how high the price will go. The mainstream crowd a) won't know anything about Eppelsheim and won't bother to look it up; and b) don't want a contrabass anyway. Might be a bargain. (Well not really a bargain, but a good deal for a very expensive instrument.)

#6 ·
On the other hand you get two people who want it and it could go sky high.

Would anyone really want to spend that much on something without going to see it in the flesh though? At $15k and reserve not yet met, a thousand or so on airfare and accomodation would be a drop in the bucket I would think, but how many people in the market for a Tubax would be looking for one on ebay anyway?

#12 ·
The seller is asking for $900 for international shipments which I presume include Europe. On other hand he will ship free to USA from Netherlands.
One would think that it is cheaper to ship within Europe???
Yes- that is quite odd...

Saxpics said: They're now selling this on their website for 16,500 Euros. That's $21,130.00 US.
The pricing I got in 2003 from Benedikt Eppelsheim himself was 14,100 Euros ($18,055 US).
The approximate price I mentioned was based on a conversation I had with Eppelsheim in March 2005. I don´t remember the exact quoted price but I do remember that it was 18,000-something EUROS + VAT (16%)- whereas International buyers wouldn´t have to pay the VAT... but would still have to pay customs fees (I´m assuming).
Guess you should have bought that cheapo-horn back in 2003. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.