Antigua Winds

Default Music Store in Hampton Roads Virginia

Hi there,

Anyone know of a music store with a good selection of sax mouthpieces in the Hampton Roads Virginia area? There isn't much down here!

Thanks in advance!
    Tenor: Bauhaus Walstein Bronze, Barone Hollywood 7*
    Alto: SML Rev. D, Berg Larsen Offset SMS or Barone NY HR

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein

Well, I live around here too, and the closest I know of is Chuck Levin's, alas. Have you looked at Calamas? I just haven't had the time or opportunity to go there.
    "I don't like work- no man does. But I like what's in the work- the chance to find yourself."
    -Joseph Conrad

Haven't heard of Calamas.

I know there is a Sam Ash in Richmond, which would be closer than Chuck Levin's, I believe.

Like you said, it's just finding the time to make the trek!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein

Calamas is in Norfolk.
    "I don't like work- no man does. But I like what's in the work- the chance to find yourself."
    -Joseph Conrad

Called Calamas. They do repairs, but don't sell much as far as equipment goes. She recommended Sam Ash in Richmond.

I'm up the road in C'ville, and ended up at Chuck Levins' to buy a new horn recently. I had gone to Sam Ash before, and didn't like it very much, altho' I was in a rush, so it was probably not a fair trial.

I go to school in Newport News and when we need equipment, we go to Chuck's.
    JK SX90 Alto
    Jody Jazz 7 #3 ZZ's, S90 180 #3 Blue Box
    http://www.myspace.com/brobspeaknoevil

For repair work I take it to Harrison's Music in Richmond, VA. Never had any complaints. Only shop in Richmond I would go to. The Sam Ash here has their work done there also.
    2005 Cannonball Global Big Bell Raven Tenor 2004 Black Nickel Global Big Bell Cannonball Alto Sax
    1959 Selmer Centered Tone 1967 Armstrong 90 Flute
    MPC Setup - Otto Link New VintageTenor Jumbo Java Alto HS* Selmer Clar

I'm in the Arlington area and had the same issue. Chuck Levin's had some mouthpieces, but testing them was difficult at best. They had no place for me to go play, and they were crowded (same as every time I've been there). The guy behind the counter was not a sax player and seemed preturbed that I did not just buy his recommendation and insisted on actually trying several. When I asked him what he carried, he didn't want to take the time to even give me a list of the brands. He pulled out Meyer and said, I think this is what you are looking for. Obviously, they were set up for school rentals where the customer just buys what they recommend. He was so busy that I did a lot of waiting in between playing and comparing. I ended up only playing four pieces before I gave it up.

What I ended up doing was having Scimmonettis in California send me a bunch on trial (they sent me nine mouthpieces). Their prices were as good or better than WWBW. There was no cleaning fee, etc, but I did have to pay shipping. It worked great because then I had a couple weeks to play, record, reflect, etc before I decided which to keep and which to send back. I highly recommend it.

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar

I'm down here in Hampton Roads, VA too...interesting there are some other cats around here...I'm in the Army band at Fort Monroe...

I've scoured this area with a fine tooth comb looking for everything saxophone related...i've found just some very trivial leads...

Music and Arts: They have the most mouthpieces and there are several locations...They price-match which is really nice...bring a receipt print-out from the PC showing another store sells that piece at X $ and they'll match it...

Woodwinds Plus, Inc..Hampton, VA
    I could write a 3 page post on that store...just take my advice and DON'T GO...That store RAPES the local community with terrible repair and OUTRAGEOUS markups on all their crappy old reeds...I got three free boxes of Rico orange box after reporting that store and it's terrible business practices...

Sam Ash-Richmond..Lots of stock usually...maybe bit more than Music and Arts

Amory Music Williamsburg(google it): It's a small mom and pop store but he does repair and sells lots of reeds...prices are not good but he has some really interesting OLD stock of reeds...stuff that's not made anymore..like Guardala reeds...

Chuck Levins...Don't care for them...they have virtually no mouthpiece stock...and no place to try them if they do...

I've given up ..I just do online stuff now..and if I want a horn..
    I'll get it at Robertos, Saxquest, Prowinds or sometimes Ebay..depending..

Nitro

Default Re: Music Store in Hampton Roads Virginia

I checked out Calamas and they are indeed a repair place. They looked like a serious repair business, I wonder if they do back end work for other stores?

I'm not impressed with Music & Arts. It's there to pick up the school business from what I can tell. It's better than nothing. I prefer the Greenbriar location over the Virginia Beach location.

MARS music used to have band instrument stuff, but I never paid it attention as I was mostly into electronic stuff. But once they went out of business, the store became a good will.

The other names are gone. Boykins is gone.

Mail order seems to be the one!

I didn't look in Richmond, although I bought my tenor via craigslist from there.

Quote Originally Posted by tmonster View Post
    I didn't look in Richmond, although I bought my tenor via craigslist from there.
    In richmond - Repair shop Harrison's Music

Sam Ash has alot if you just want to blow. I thought their prices were high.

Mouthpiece shop, none that I know of.
    2005 Cannonball Global Big Bell Raven Tenor 2004 Black Nickel Global Big Bell Cannonball Alto Sax
    1959 Selmer Centered Tone 1967 Armstrong 90 Flute
    MPC Setup - Otto Link New VintageTenor Jumbo Java Alto HS* Selmer Clar

Forum Contributor 2010
    Distinguished SOTW Member

I used to live in Richmond -- the Sam Ash is a Sam Ash; don't count on much. There used to be a vintage sax shop in Mechanicsville, Mechanicsville Music. The offerings were spotty, but once in awhile the guy had something interesting. Don't get tech work done there unless he has a new tech guy.

But this information is 7-8 years old. . . .

Default Re:

For stores at this point, good luck. Since Boykin's left years ago it's been very spotty at best. Mars was a short lived oasis but alas...All the other's are mentioned here rather accuratly shame to say. Calama's has a basic selection of reeds, and then there's Richmond. Sam Ash? I guess you can play test horns there, but I'd go ta Harrison's I guess or maybe DC/Baltimore first for that. Calama's may also have some used mouthpieces. Hampton Roads used to have great pawn shop finds(got my Super 20 tenor from one fer cheap years ago) cause of the Navy/armed forces presence there. Not sure bout that anymore...but I still check em out now n again when I visit.

Repairs:
    Calama's is still in Norfolk (on 21st St near Hampton Blvd), and is the place to go at this point. Not sure how much backend stuff they do, but they do repair work for most of the schools in the area, so they do get really busy at times. However they always found the time to fix a pro's horn in an emergency. They are a 3rd generation family owned repair shop and they work on all band instruments. A good and friendly shop. Maybe there's a guy doing stuff out of his house er something, but I have'nt heard of that

Otherwise...def go ta Richmond. Probably Harrison's is the most decent choice in Richmond.

(ps)luckily I've been in Jersey for a good while now...well lucky as it applies to sax repair or trying out m. pieces n horns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by olliesacknewton View Post
    For stores at this point, good luck. Since Boykin's left years ago it's been very spotty at best. Mars was a short lived oasis but alas...All the other's are mentioned here rather accuratly shame to say. Calama's has a basic selection of reeds, and then there's Richmond. Sam Ash? I guess you can play test horns there, but I'd go ta Harrison's I guess or maybe DC/Baltimore first for that. Calama's may also have some used mouthpieces. Hampton Roads used to have great pawn shop finds(got my Super 20 tenor from one fer cheap years ago) cause of the Navy/armed forces presence there. Not sure bout that anymore...but I still check em out now n again when I visit.

Repairs:
    Calama's is still in Norfolk (on 21st St near Hampton Blvd), and is the place to go at this point. Not sure how much backend stuff they do, but they do repair work for most of the schools in the area, so they do get really busy at times. However they always found the time to fix a pro's horn in an emergency. They are a 3rd generation family owned repair shop and they work on all band instruments. A good and friendly shop. Maybe there's a guy doing stuff out of his house er something, but I have'nt heard of that

Otherwise...def go ta Richmond. Probably Harrison's is the most decent choice in Richmond.

(ps)luckily I've been in Jersey for a good while now...well lucky as it applies to sax repair or trying out m. pieces n horns.
    There is really nothing in Hampton Roads area. Lived there for over 30 years. The best there WAS, was Boykins music and another place in Norfolk that was on Bute St and that closed up about 20 years ago.

Clamas is strictly repair and sells used stuff if they have it. They do carry basic stuff, i.e. ligatures, reeds, etc. Chuck Levine's has a great horn selection but when it comes to accessories you are not going to get much help. The best place I have found in the MD/ VA area is L & L music in Gaithersburg. Their website is http://www.llmusicshop.com. GO there and pick what you wnat to play and play for hours and they will not rush you.

Sam Ash in Richmond carries some stuff as well, but.... It really depends on what you are looking for.

PEACE....
    Alto-MKVI Theo Wanne Durga, Kali, Gaia pieces, Tenor-MKVI w/ Theo Wanne Durga, Gaia, & AMMA II pieces, Soprano-Selmer S-80II Black Laq w/ Theo Wanne Gaia. ALso EWI 4000s w/ various modules.

Richmond Music store on Midlothian turnpike may have some I go the to get my reeds prices aren't bad never check for mouthpieces, and they have a few saxes on the wall

Virginia Beach & Baltimore/Washington DC areas

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but here goes. I heard the following which I have reason to believe is accurate, if it is not or has changed please correct me. Calamas in Norfolk was bought out and shut down by Music and Arts (M&A a large regional chain) after many decades of operartion. M&A/Calamas lost the school repair contracts for brass/woodwinds in the Hampton Roads southside schools to Woodwinds Plus, Inc in Hampton. M&A, I think, still has a much more limited repair capacity then previously, but their remaining tech(s) I think are no longer full time and only work on a part time as needed basis. They will send repairs to DC area Maryland big shop that they can't handle locally, and that will probably eventually be everything as local techs retire and go on to other things.

Warren
    Sax On The Beach

for repair....check out Mike Ellswick in C'ville
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece