P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: AS100?

Default AS100?

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the selmer as100. I know it is a pro horn that is the forrunner of the current as110 model, but that's about all. I was just wondering about its sound and intonation. Is it comparable to the other selmer pro horns or the yamahas? Thanks so much for your help!
    You may say that I'm a dreamer,
    But I'm not the only one...

Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2008 Hurling Frootmig's Avatar

I was playing around with an AS110 today. I was not impressed. The fit and finish of the horn was poor (extra bits of cork in places, keys that were out of adjustment, etc. . . )

I would take a pass on one and get a Yanagisawa or a Yamaha.

Default Thanks

Thanks so much. That's very helpful.

My AS100 is one of the better saxes I've played/owned.

It was basically a "closet horn", not played much. Except
    for some tarnish on the neck tenon mine plays fine.

They look good, nice engraving & honey-gold lacquer.
    Mine definitely is advanced-pro caliber. Except for a stuffy
    "G" when bought; my repairman corrected it I believe its a good sax for the $$. The quality control on mine was good.

I believe it better than the newer AS110.

You should be able to find one for ~$1000-$1500.

If you go the Selmer Paris route, you'll be aying at least
    $1500-2000 for a series II or similiar.

Kirb

sorry to butt in like that, but if i may ask, so the AS100 is really a pro horn rather than a student horn?

Pardon me for asking, but i'm just another guy who wants to learn the sax and is new to all this; i've searched www.selmer.com, but didnt manage to find any info on the AS100 (only the AS110, which i presume should be somewhat similar to the AS100). But i asked around in another forum, and these guys were telling me that the AS100 is a student horn (???).

I'm just confused here. Another thing - would USD700 be a good price for a horn like that? Is this price a bit suspect? (ie. parts not working, or something wrong with the sound?) I asked around my neighbourhood, and actually managed to find one shop that is selling one AS100 at about this price

oh yeah another thing - what should i look out for when going down to see the horn? Anything specific to Selmer horns or to the AS100 that i should look out for? I know about the general stuff (i have "The Rough Guide to Saxophone" by Hugo Pinksterboer with me), but i might still need some tips from you more knowledgeable guys about the Selmer AS100. Thanks.

Distinguished SOTW Member goodsax's Avatar

Freeman: You won't find much on AS100s because they've been replaced by the AS110. The AS100 is the pro level Selmer USA. The entry level Selmer USA alto is the AS300 and intermediate the AS210. I owned an AS100 and thought it to be one of the better altos I've owned over many years. AS100s can be found on eBay in the $900 to $1100 range, but you have to exercise due dilligence before risking an eBay purchase. To get a paris-made Selmer will cost at least double that, and possibly much more depending on the model.

8)
    SOP: Antigua Winds SS4290RC; ALTO:Couesnon Monopole Conservatorie; TENOR: Yamaha YTS-61;
    BARI: Vito-Yanagisawa Low A; CLARINET: Noblet Paris; FLUTE: Amadeus by Haynes

Distinguished SOTW Member michaelbaird's Avatar

I think they are as close as you can get to a Selmer Paris at half the price. My AS 110, could have been a 100, played great, and very well in tune. I sold it out of necessity, not because I disliked it. I think they are underrated, especially when you compare them to the "Pro Tiawanese" horns on the market today. I would take the selmer any day over one of those.

Default Selmer USA help

How can you recognize the type of your alto sax? It has been a problem for me, because some people say my horn is AS-100 and some AS-110. I have asked also the company but no answer. The serial number of my alto sax is #825xxx. Probably manufactured in 1989 or 1990. Can yoy help me?

Distinguished SOTW Member goodsax's Avatar

There's an AS-100 on eBay now with s/n 822575. It's item 3706143070 with 3 days to go from today, 2/26. It has several clear photos if you want to compare yours to it since the serial # is close to yours.
    SOP: Antigua Winds SS4290RC; ALTO:Couesnon Monopole Conservatorie; TENOR: Yamaha YTS-61;
    BARI: Vito-Yanagisawa Low A; CLARINET: Noblet Paris; FLUTE: Amadeus by Haynes

Thank you for your help. Now I am sure it is AS-100. Anyway one of the best altos.

The AS-100/110 is a Semi-Pro to Pro level horn... or I guess what would be considered an Entry Level Pro horn. Its an over all really good horn, and its hard to find much difference between it an a Selmer Paris sound and feel wise.