P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: top lip enlarged blood vessel

Default top lip enlarged blood vessel

I've just been to a dermatologist, who I needed to see anyway, and had her check out a funny pouch on my upper lip. The good news is that it is not the C word, but she thinks it is an enlarged artery or blood vessel and referred me to an ENT guy. Has anyone heard of this before? Likely treatments?

It sometimes get a bit sore when playing. I have been playing a lot of sax, flute and picc lately.

Forum Contributor 2010

Default Ianmac

Similar story. For the last 2/3 weeks I have noticed a very enlarged blood vessel on the inside of my upper lip. It runs from the middle of the lip to the right hand edge with a few "squiggles" It feels like a hose pipe! Obviously it's not that big but your tongue exaggerates the size of any problem in the mouth. I play tenor and 3 weeks ago I got an alto. It seems too much of a coincidence. I think I was squeezing very hard trying to find its altissimo.Could that have caused it? Going to see the doc if it continues but I would be interested in your experience/treatments or anyone elses comments/ advice.

Yes it sounds similar. My ENT appointment is not until June 2. I may try to move it up. Mine thing will pulse along with my heartbeat.

I may have been using a lot of lip pressure when woodshedding some piccolo for a show recently.

Forum Contributor 2010

Sent PM

Sent you one back, but you may be over your PM quota.

Forum Contributor 2010

NO, it's empty. Strange

Sent you a PM a few days ago. Since, I seem to be slowly improving. Been careful not to practice too much and not strain for high notes on picc.