Sax on the Web Forum banner

Flowing lines

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JS 
#1 ·
These times, I'm listening a lot to Eric Alexander whose long, relaxed, flowing lines I admire. Compared to him, my playing sounds quite choppy. Any suggestions as to what to practice to play a little bit more like him?

#3 ·
Toot Sweet!,
What sounds choppy to you, your lines, or your time/feel? I would suggest taking an easy tune, like "Autumn Leaves", and work on playing simple legato 8th note lines with a metronome to "sooth out the edges" so to speak.

sinkdraiN's suggestion is a great one - if you've been really into Eric Alexander's playing, then check out a recording of him playing on a standard (something medium-swing), and get to work.:) However, might I suggest checking out some of the tenor players that Eric was heavily influenced by as well - in my opinion, that will get you closer to the sound your after - it worked for Eric, right?! Check out some Clifford Jordan, Junior Cook, and/or George Coleman, again on a medium-swing standard, and I bet you'll begin to hear where Eric is coming from. Also, once you get the notes down, just play it along with the CD, and record yourself playing the solo with the CD. Do you sound like Eric/Clifford/Junior/George? Are you articulating the same way? Accents? Vibrato? Putting enough air through the horn?

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.