P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: The first saxophone - the prototype

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

Default The first saxophone - the prototype

Adolphe Sax's first saxophone was a bass sax, shaped like an ophicleide. There is a detailed drawing of this saxophone in the patent diagram of 1846.

Somehow, none of these ophicleide shaped saxes have survived. Has anyone ever seen an actual original saxophone made by Adolphe Sax in the configuration of the prototype? How about a photograph?

Wow...I'd like to see one. I bet they are worth tons now.

They come up for sale quite frequently on Ebay. LOL. Along with Benny Goodmans' and Charlie Parkers' one and only.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

I'll take three please.

Check out:

http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/m...i/pelisson.jpg

The curved F Baritone sax. One of a very few.

I've tried to contact the owner of this beast on a few occasions and I always get a reply (in broken English), "My son, the owner of this instrument, is sick and cannot reply to your e-mail. I know nothing about saxophones."

The curved C bass probably no longer exists. This first horn was A. Sax's prototype and maybe 5 total were built. Makes me wonder about how many A. Sax contrabasses there were (my article about these is in Harri's hands and I hope to see it published soon).

If you own any of these horns, please send me pics at saxpics@x-mail.net!

... and Benny Goodman's bari is at http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/b...i/gold/200xxx/

Nice plating and engraving.

Larry Teal's "Art of Sax Playing" has 3 original A.Sax instruments (looking amazingly modern and professional) on about the fifth page in. It looks as tho they are owned by H.A.Selmer.