P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Above All

Default Above All

Hello:

My brothers and sisters in Christ. A couple of weeks ago I was feeling real down because some of my most cherished family relationships were being tested big time and I was feeling unhappy much like a wretch I would say. Then like a ray of light came to me through the words of the song Above all:

Above all powers above all kings
    Above all nature and all created things
    Above all wisdom and all the ways of man
    You were here before the world began

Above all kindgoms above all thrones
    Above all wonders the world has ever known
    Above all wealth and treasure of the earth
    There's no way to measure what You're worth

Crucified laid behind a stone
    You lived to die rejected and alone
    Like a rose trampled on the ground
    You took the fall and thought of me
    Above all

I am so glad that Jesus thought so much of me that while I was YET in sin He died for me. There is no greater love! You can find the song "Above all", which I played during this disturbing time, on my meager web site:

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/d_hall/

Happy Easter!

P.S. - It starts off pretty straight in the beginning but it gets more expressive at the end.
    Last edited by hall3; 04-17-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Doesn't seem like anybody wants to say anything? Did I do something wrong?

Distinguished SOTW Member groovesax's Avatar

Nice! Inspiring theme. The fact that you were inspired to write it is apparent in the melody.

Quote Originally Posted by hall3
    I am so glad that Jesus thought so much of me that while I was YET in sin He died for me. There is no greater love!
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by hall3
    You can find the song "Above all", which I played during this disturbing time, on my meager web site:

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/d_hall/
    I'm wondering if the background midi file is available by any chance?
    --
    John

Quote Originally Posted by groovesax
    Nice! Inspiring theme. The fact that you were inspired to write it is apparent in the melody.
    It is one of my favorite songs, however, he did not write it; you misunderstood him.

Sorry, I just felt the need to clear that up.
    Nice playing, though.
    “Jazz is music made by and for people who have chosen to feel good in spite of conditions.”
    -Johnny Griffin

Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP GAS_Wyo's Avatar

"Above All" was written by Michael W. Smith. Michael was just a kid from the town next to mine who was somewhat of a piano phenom at the 1st Baptist Church back in the early 80's. Wow, did HE make it BIG?!!!

I love this tune. Thanks for sharing the words...my sister and I do this all the time in emails back and forth. Something just touches you (the Holy Spirit) and the words you've heard a hundred time suddenly make sense in a whole different way!

This is one of the tunes I got in a book of music recently with the title "Above All". I hope I can master the rhythms in it soon so I can debut my version as an offeratory. I sometimes lay down the backing track on a PowerPoint presentation of the words and do a 'multi-media' presentation of sax and visual effects. It really blesses people who don't know the song and the ones that do get a whole new sense of what the words really mean. If I get this song going soon, I'll try to post a clip.

No, for sure I didn't write it! However, I feel a special connection with what Michael W. Smith was saying. Thanks for the kind words about my playing. You know some songs don't need a whole lot of embellishment to sell the message and I think "Above All" is one of those songs. The words and melody tell it all. I've also noticed that some songs aren't suited for sax. I played this song on flute and soprano sax and l liked the flute rendition better. But maybe it was because my flute playing is light years ahead of my sax playing. It would be interesting to hear some more seasoned sax players version of the song.

D'Angelo

P.S.- sciomako, I sent you a private message.

Default Re: Above All

Hello all:

I just had to clear up the misunderstanding above. I did not write the song and neither did Michael W. Smith. "Above All" was written by Paul Baloche and Lenny Leblanc. If you get the chance, google the story behind "Above All". I guarantee you it will bless your heart.