Sax on the Web Forum banner

Dolnet "Royal Jazz" Tenor

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Uwe Steinmetz 
G
#1 ·
Today i bought a Dolnet "Royal Jazz" Tenor. I think this one is real goldplated because there is silver underneath it. I do not know if this is original. I bought it from a guy whose father played in a band in Rotterdam who died 3 years ago.
It came with a metal Berg Larsen 105 mouthpeace. The price was reals cheap considering the average value of these saxes and mouthpieces.

Does anyone know if these horns came in originally Gold Plated?
On saxpics site they say the "Royal Jazz" is a Jean Cartier Stencil but this horn has engraved "DOLNET PARIS" and "ROYAL JAZZ"

G
#4 ·
I tried to get some sound out of this sax but at first the Berg Larsen moutpiece had some squeeks at the lower notes. This is my unexperience with this mouthpiece. With a Selmer C mouthpiece (which is a classical student moutpiece) it gave a beautifull dark sound. Way more beautifull than the student tenor from my daughter. Than i tried the Berg Larsen again and after some playing with changing embouchure i managed to get beautifull notes from top to bottem. This was much better than with the Selmer MPC. This gave the sax that beautifull undertone like you here on records of Don Byas who also played on Dolnet Tenors (Album Jazz in Paris).
Afterall this sax seems to be in a good condition and the pads seems to be OK. But to be shure i will let will bring it to my repair man to check for leaks and bad pads. The microtuner neck needs a re-cork because now it is wrapped with tape.
The seller said this sax was bought by his father when he was born (that was around 1959) and has been playing it untill a few years before he died. It has to be in his suitcase ever since that time. It also seems to be that the Case it came in is original and in realy good condition.
This instrument was taken good care of...

#5 ·
Nautisax said:
On saxpics site they say the "Royal Jazz" is a Jean Cartier Stencil but this horn has engraved "DOLNET PARIS" and "ROYAL JAZZ"
From what I understand the Jean Cartier was a Dolnet stencil. The Royal Jazz was a model developed on the lines of the Bel Air but with additional keys: high F#, trill D and trill G# and microtuner neck (kind of the trend in the 1950s, Pierret also had saxes with these characteristics, so did German manufacturers).

There are nice pics of a silver plate Royal Jazz (if you want to get a matching alto!!) on USAHorn at the moment...

#6 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I would like to share some pictures of my - I believe - also gold plated Dolnet Royal Jazz Alto. I couldn´t find actually any more information about the history of this sax but as you can see it is not a stencil foir JC or so, it just says DOLNET on the Bell, it has a 55xxx ser. number and I believe this is the original finish.

best, Uwe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.