P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SML Sound--Is It Really That Special?

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

Default Re: SML Sound--Is It Really That Special?

My Pichard stencil of a GM1 alto (is only missing the rocking left thumbrest)has a lovely timbre and a big stromg voice. Great action and i found the keywork good with except the lh pinky table which in order to play I had to cock my wrist which then lead to rsi issues.

I now play a JK shadow which has a really big sound too though with quite a different voice. Love em both but the jk i can play for hours with no pain.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

You are right about the pinky table;it is one of the few weaknesses of the SML design. It is a bit of a stretch to get to low Bflat. Even though I have to stretch my pinky a bit to reach the key, the light action makes up for it. In time, I'll get used to it. I've never owned a vintage saxophone that didn't have a few quirks to get used to.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DaddyRabbit's Avatar

Hang in there. It's worth it.
    "Everything that is really great and inspiring
    is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
    -Albert Einstein

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

Unfortunately for me, I cant hang in there, the damage to my wrist would be permanent if I kept it up. Can still bring it out and honk a bit for memory's sake...but for me it has to be my Shadow. Fortuantely, it too is a pretty magic horn and tells me what notes to play. Like my SML I only have to listen.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DaddyRabbit's Avatar

Wow! Mine didn't come with the "tells me what notes to play" option. And I, of all people, need that.
    Good luck!
    "Everything that is really great and inspiring
    is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
    -Albert Einstein

Do you suppose that it would be worth the expense to have custom keywork done? If you really love your horn and won't part with it, I think it would be worth the expense.

Distinguished SOTW Member LateNiteSax's Avatar

SLMs are totally amazing sounding. they blow incredibly free, with an amazingly lush and colorful tone that invites you to in and makes you feel at home. The big reason I can't use SMLs is the triple register (on the two tenors I have owned) simply doesn't exist like it does on Selmers and most other horns I try. The design of the SML makes those triple reg notes very very resistant and pretty much impossible to navigate for me. Perhaps others have had more luck with different fingerings, but not me.
    "We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234