P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: SOTW new member introductions 2006:

Hi gang, wow what a great site. I'm gobbling up all sorts of info. I've been playing an alto since the 5th grade, that makes, uh, 30 years or something. Although I've been much more of an electric bass player for the past 15 years, I'm nuts about the sound I get with my old Martin Handcraft.

hey guys

I'm a Bari sax player from hawaii who just started here. I'd just like to learn more.
    Alto:cannonball-selmer s90
    Bari: Conn 12m/Bundy- selmer s-80 D (legere synthetic 3/ vandoren traditional 3-4/ plasticover 4-5)- Link tone edge 8*(plasticover 2-3)-Runyon quantum 10(reeds pending)

Sut mae, dudes!

47 y.o. Welshman, playing soprano sax for 6 months (Rampone & Cazzane straight, Berg Larsen ebonite mpc, Rico Royale 2.5 reeds.
    Previously messed about with trumpet and french horn, but no real heroes to inspire me at the time. Motivated by Garbarek & Andy Sheppard, and interested in chamber sized groups (3-5 musicians) which sustains my interest.
    Psychotherapist by trade, now with reasonable time to play/practice, and also learning bass guitar!

Da boch i nawr!

Hello to everyone here.

I'm just 16, I've been playing for just about 5 years now. I play the alto and soprano. I'm in a small quartet as well as a big band. I'm also part of 3 concert bands, which isn't all that bad.

Dear forum, I am in Singapore. I have been learning alto sax for 2.5 yrs now. I am also a late bloomer but have always love the sound of saxophone!
    Mine is a Yamaha, beginner model.
    Great forum and discussion.

Cheers!

Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Welcome All.

Now, get out while you can! Save yourselves!

A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Hello from myself Baylis in Manchester UK.Thanks Harri for Sax on the Web.I am currently buying a new Tenor and a lot of the information on your site has been invaluable
    BaylisTenor

Default Thanks for the forum...

Hello there- I've been playing professionally for-hey, what time is it?-no, about thirty years. I'm hoping to find some info about various horns out here,
    maybe discuss mouthpieces, etudes, and the like as long as it doesn't interfere with my practizing.

Thanks, Harri, for putting this site up and maintaining it.

Distinguished SOTW Member bfoster64's Avatar

This forum is really cool and there is a wealth of information here, although a certain amount of filtration is necessary ; )

I have been playing sax for 19 years and I currently play alto, tenor, and soprano in a rock band.

Why not bari?
    Music is Life, Life is Art, Art is Jazz

Greetings all!

Siggie
    Last edited by Siggie; 04-22-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

You just said that.

[The editing feature usually works, BTW.]

Welcome.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Hello Everyone,
    I recently picked up the sax again after about 20 years. I played from 1966 through 1985. I played in both Jr High and High School Concert bands, High School Stage Band and a Community Orchestra for a couple of years after I graduated High School. I like the music of Maynard Ferguson, Buddy Rich, most of the Bands from the Big Band Era and the older songs from the group Chicago. My father played with Tommy Dorsey and Henry Busse. He got me interested in playing the saxophone.
    I once thought I played a pretty good sax. It's coming back to me though.
    That's all for now.
    Thanks,
    Monty

My brothers and sisters,
    I am a "newbie" to this site as well. I do like the great amount of wisdom and it's always good to have a place to share thoughts and the like with players of the greatest instrument outside of the voice that exists. Although I have played with some singers that make a liar out of me. I am 40 yrs of life and have been playing paying gigs for the past 28. I have recorded 7 CD's with my own groups and maybe about a dozen or so with other groups. I have played the clubs, toured the country and Europe, and done the "cruise ship" thing, and now I'm all about staying home and playing locally while I raise my son. Oh yeah, I'm a single parent, and proud. Went to Berklee til I ran out of money, tried to teach for a while but lack the patience. I look forward to your fellowship and gleening your combined knowledge.

I've been here for a wee little while and so far its awsome!
    gotten lots of great information, learned a hell of a lot.

anyways, im a 16 year old in grade 11. I mainly play alto, but i think img going to be starting on tenor in the city concert band.
    I'm hoping to go to university (laurier) for a MusEd. Then hoping to get a masters degree in, education or performance, not sure yet but i got lots of time to decide.
    -danyo

Thumbs up new member

Hey guys, My name is Fletch and i am a tenth grade music major at the fine arts academy high school in texas. I play tenor and soprano saxophones in jazz band and marching band, but unfortunatly am forced to play bass clarinet in concert band. I have been playing sax since the summer before freshman year and am starting privite instruction with Harvey Pittel, i dont know if you have heard of him but he is supposed to be the best.

Default Introducing me...

I gave up my flute about 35 years ago to pursue other interests (some practical and reasonable, most not). Now, at age 60, I figure if I don't learn to play the sax now (or soon), I may never; so about 2 months ago I bought a used Yamaha YAS-23 and a Rubank Method book and started practicing.

Thanx to a neighbor with an available outbuilding, I'm having wicked fun with it, and surprising myself that the stuff I tell my grandkids about learning is actually true.

Glad I stumbled across SOTW and its forum. I've found lots of useful info and much motivation here.

Thanx, guys.

My name is Rig and I have no clue what grade I would be the equivalent of! I learned to play the clarinet in Norway and have been playing for about 15 years - I switched to saxophone about 10 months ago and love it!

Hello everyone I've been lurking around these forums for a couple months now and I thought it was time that I start posting. Anyway a little info about myself...I've been playing the saxophone for about 5 years now and I'm loving every minute of it!

First started when our school band was just starting up. Me and a couple friends decided to join. I decided to choose the saxophone because I've always loved the sound of it and always wished that I could play those cool jazz tunes. I started off on the alto sax because it was the only one the band was offering at the time (I still don't know why there wasn't an option to play the other types of saxes such as the tenor on their little brochure thingy). Anyway being in the band was really fun and we even got to record a few cd's. Nothing special really but it was really a great experience for me. I'm currently in my high school band and am also taking lessons with a great saxophone/flute/clarinet teacher who was actually the very first person to ever teach me to play to the sax. Right now I play alto, tenor, and soprano sax but I've got a bari coming soon and I'm really excited and can't wait for it to get here!

Checking out these forums has really inspired and motivated me to continue playing the sax, especially after checking out the members recordings. Wow...I really hope that someday I'll be able to play just like you guys, but until then I'll just keep practicing as hard as I can so I could reach my goal. I hope to learn a lot from these forums and perhaps even help others as well.

-Dan
    Last edited by altodan; 04-24-2006 at 04:07 AM.

Default New member

Hello. Been playing Alto for 3 Months.
    I just need to learn breathing technique, embouchure, note fingerings, music theory, how to read music, playing in time and in tune, scales, modes and improvisation .......
    Having realised the enormity of the task I’ve taken on, I’ve started to have lessons.
    I’ve been reading the messages on the beginners forum, and find it encouraging that many people seem to have the same experiences as me eg. is it the horn or my poor technique, problems with the upper octave, problems with low notes, which mouthpiece/reed etc.
    Also noticed how friendly, positive and informative the respondents are (in the main).

AndyD

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast