Antigua Winds

Thread: prestini reeds?

Default prestini reeds?

I have an opportunity to get some Prestini alto reeds for a low price. It seems like these reeds aren't very common, at least they aren't discussed much on these boards. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with them; any thoughts, advice, etc. Also, it would be great if anyone knew how Prestini reed strengths compare to other brands, as they aren't included in any of my reed comparison charts.

Thanks a lot for any help.

cant say much for alto reeds but... Ive got a prestini tenor, the shop gave me some prestini reeds (they said the reeds didnt seem to be very good and after trying a couple of them I didnt think to much of them either... I just to stick with the main brands.

also reed stregths to me seem to be pretty much the same among most brands although with fibracell I use a 1/2 strength lighter.

Prestini reeds can be excellent when matched with the right mouthpiece, IMO.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

OK, here's the deal with Prestini reeds...I know this from going to school at the University of Arizona, and Dr. Elizabeth "Libby" Ervin was one of their chief consultants on the reeds.

The Bad: No matter what they say, the cane is grown in Mexico from an original French plant. This is not in itself a bad thing, but I'm not sure why they continue to say that it's from France. It is REAL French cane, because the original plant was French, but it's grown in Mexico. The reeds are also made there...actually not far from where the Conn factory used to be in Nogales. The quality control is not always the best, but that can be said for any reed.

The Good: These are not reeds that are just willy-nilly put out there. There was quite a bit of care put into the design of the reed to try and make it flexible. The strengths are usually graded well. They are also quite a bit less expensive than most reeds.

I visited the factory once...very cool to see about a million reeds going into their boxes...