P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: How to darken engraving

Default How to darken engraving

I would like to darken the engraving on my sax. Anyone know of a way to do this?

I used a charcoal type stick. My horn has been delacquered, so drawing over the engraving and then wiping it off leaves it in the grooves. Very striking.

Black shoe polish works much better. Warm the body of the horn first with a heat gun or hair drier. Let is cool completely, then wipe off the excess with a soft cloth.

This sounds rather funky, id like to try this one my sax. But incase i dont like it is it easy to get the shoepolish out the grooves?
    I like to play...

Distinguished SOTW Member

Yes methalated spirits, another way is to use a dark stained wax polish
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sinjarah
    Black shoe polish works much better. Warm the body of the horn first with a heat gun or hair drier. Let is cool completely, then wipe off the excess with a soft cloth.
    And when you perform on a sweaty gig or a humid day, you get horrible runs down your horn, on your clothes, your case.........

You are better off using a damp charcoal stick (which does not melt, and dries solid) or a black crayon, which has a higher melting point than shoe polish.

Quote Originally Posted by sinjarah
    Good Suggestion !! I thought I was the only guy who knew this idea...